xsarahmonica
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I applied for Broadate Park and just realised that the first installment of rent is due on the 01st of Sept and I'm not getting payments from student finance till the 22nd, what am I supposed to do?
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by xsarahmonica)
I applied for Broadate Park and just realised that the first installment of rent is due on the 01st of Sept and I'm not getting payments from student finance till the 22nd, what am I supposed to do?
Get in touch with the accommodation and ask if they're willing to accept payments according to your student finance dates. Some will be happy to adapt, but some won't, and you might have to borrow to pay the first rent instalment before you get your first loan instalment.

If it turns out that the dates still won't line up, talk to your bank and ask if you can have a no-interest overdraft equal to our more than your first payment. I advise that you don't take out a loan as it will require interest which can add up very fast! This way you will pay it back automatically as soon as the loan enters your bank account. Make sure you fully explain your situation, so the bank understands what you need the money for, and make sure you don't take out more than your loan will cover, as you don't want a negative bank balance.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get a student bank account with an interest free overdraft. I know the Co op does or did offer £1500 overdraft straight away.
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Explain the situation and ask if they'll accept a later payment.

Get an interest free overdraft.

Explain the situation to the university. They might be able to provide an emergency loan or other financial support to cover the rent payment (you will then pay them back once you receive your student finance). This may be more difficult to arrange if you haven't actually registered and begun the course by the 1st, though.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Drop Broadgate Park an email or a phone call. It's a common situation for students to be in and they deal with it fairly regularly.

They may still want a partial payment up-front. If you need the funds for this then an interest-free overdraft is one option, but also contact the Financial Support team in the University as they helped me out with this at the start of the year (albeit under slightly different circumstances)
scbond
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As others have said, contact UPP and they will more than likely make alternative arrangements.

FYI, you won't receive the student loan/grant payment on the 22nd...it'll be around 3 days later.
Tappouni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had the same problem - just email Broadgate Park and ask for the deadline to be extended, they'll probably ask you for a scanned copy of your Payment Timetable (one of the Student Finance Letters) as proof of when the loan comes in, and they should be able to move it

They moved my payment date moved from September 1st to October 1st
uniofnottingham
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The University of Nottingham’s deadline for accommodation in term one (detailed in your offer) is due on 1 September, however we recognise that payment timetables provided by the Student Loans Company, for example, can vary.

We are here to support you throughout your student journey – which includes getting you settled into University accommodation without a hitch. We would therefore encourage you to contact us to discuss the payment deadlines if you have any concerns or need to amend your payment schedule in accordance with when you receive your funding. You can also find more information about paying your accommodation fees on our accommodation website.

Contacting us
If you wish to contact us about the accommodation fees, please title your email subject "Reliant upon Loan funding" and send to [email protected], attaching a copy of your loan payment schedule. We will then contact you with your alternative payment arrangement based on when you receive your funding.

Students who are reliant upon securing a Tier 4 visa should not make any payment for their accommodation until the visa has been granted. If a visa has not been secured by the first payment date of 1 September 2014 please email [email protected] Title your email subject "Tier 4 Visa".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (52)
15.57%
I'm not sure (8)
2.4%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (114)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.8%
I'm not a current university student (154)
46.11%

Watched Threads