The Student Room Group

Working in Spain for the summer

Hey folks

I want to go to Spain this summer, and get a job in a bar or something. I was wondering if anyone had any experience specific to Spain or advice on how to go about doing this. I'd be a bit reluctant to fly out without anything planned and just gamble on finding something. I'm 18 and going to uni in September. I also speak pretty much fluent Spanish.

So yeah as I say, any advice is much appreciated! It doesn' have to be exclusive to Spain, just some tips on where to start! Thanks
Original post by Lansaaaa
Hey folks

I want to go to Spain this summer, and get a job in a bar or something. I was wondering if anyone had any experience specific to Spain or advice on how to go about doing this. I'd be a bit reluctant to fly out without anything planned and just gamble on finding something. I'm 18 and going to uni in September. I also speak pretty much fluent Spanish.

So yeah as I say, any advice is much appreciated! It doesn' have to be exclusive to Spain, just some tips on where to start! Thanks

Hi, I'm an Erasmus student and have been studying in a small city in the south of spain since last September. Even though I've never had a job here, I can tell you 100% that there is a lot of unemployment everywhere. Most of the Spanish themselves can't even get basic jobs, and so to be honest I think your chances of finding one would be very slim.

However, if you do really want to take your chances, I would fist suggest choosing one of the big cities (Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, etc.). I would then do an internet search of bars/pubs in whichever place you choose, and see if they have any online job application process, and then I would apply to as many different places as I could.

I would also join the facebook accommodation page for whichever city you choose, and type that you are looking for a flat to rent during the summer, and see what responses you get and what the prices are like and whether you could afford with the amount of money they'll pay you for bar work (which is likely to be pretty poor). Maybe even try and fly out to spain to actually go and see some flats prior to when you are due to go.

Apart from that, I know that there are organisations you can find that will set you up with a host family. I think the idea is that you stay with them for a set period (say 3 months), you help with housework, etc. and they pat you a small salary, as well as giving you free board. However, as I've never done this before I don't know too much about it, so you'd have to do some research.

Anyway OP, hope this helps, and best of luck.
Hello!

Last July, I decided to buy a one-way ticket to Tenerife. I thought I'd just settle for a bar job and get sorted with an apartment. On the first day that I arrived, I got second degree burns, therefore I couldn't shower or walk properly, and ended up in hospital. Due to this, I could not even look for work. I ended up running out of money, having nowhere to stay and burns getting worse. I ended up sat with my suitcase outside hotels, and some people fed and watered me, one couple even gave me money to stop in a hostel for a night. I lasted two weeks before my money ran out, and ended up being took to the airport. I flew home, was depressed for a week then I picked myself up again.

I thought I'd try again this year the "proper" way. I got offered a job in Paphos, Cyprus as an Animator (Entertainer). After forking out for my own flight, I got here and then was told by the boss to look for jobs elsewhere as he didn't have enough jobs as he promised people for. I've been doing bits of work, but the pay is absolutely crap, you're looking at thirty euros for a 12 hour shift. It's a cheaper way of living, but you are forced to eat out, go out more etc as they're such nice bar. If that makes any sense.

I think it's very lucky if you manage to find a job. There is a few options, such as Playaway, but you'd need about £1000 to register and for your spends. I'm not really keen on the whole thing of drinking 24/7 though. The only way I'd go abroad again is with TUI (head of Thomson etc) as they will have a legal binding contract, offer good wage, look after you etc. Avoid Funtastic as they're the company that screwed me over. Some of my friends have worked for RJP Entertainments though so maybe try them?
Try contacting hostels. Often they have a 'work for bed and board' type arrangement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending