The Student Room Group

Help with confidence interval and interpreting data!

Someone please please help me make sense of these stats! I really need help with interpreting outcome of studies! How do i calculate CIs (no need to know actual calculation as can use calculator) and make sense of outcome... Any help would make me forever grateful!

STUDY 1.
Pre- and post-intervention values (standard error).
Intervention n=235
Mean (SD) Pre-test 6.66 (0.15)
Mean (SD) Post-test 5.74 (0.17)
P value* <0.0001

Waiting room control n=96
Mean (SD) Pre 6.31 (0.26)
Mean (SD) Post 6.39 (0.27)
P value* <0.516

*Significance of pre- to post-intervention change.

STUDY 2 n=59
Pre- and post-intervention values (standard error).
Intervention
Mean (SD) Pre-test 3.15 (2.8)
Mean (SD) Post-test 2.47 (2.6)

Difference -0.69
t -3.30
p 0.001

Significance set at <0.05.

Experiment wide alpha was set at p< 0.05 such that each test had to reach a level of p <0.004 (0.05/13) to be considered statistically significant.; one-tailed. One-tailed tests were used for hypothesis testing.

I am looking at the overall success of the intervention and have to use just these two papers to discuss the intervention itself. I need to discuss the p values which I understand, but also the CIs! I need to make sense of both CIs and what this means to the actual intervention… Hope this makes sense!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
You can just get a caculator online to work it out for you.

Confidence Interval Calculator:
https://www.mccallum-layton.co.uk/tools/statistic-calculators/confidence-interval-for-mean-calculator/

STUDY 1. - Intervention
Pre-test 95% CI : 6.64-6.68
Post-test 95% CI : 5.72-5.76

The results are significant (p<0.05). This is also shown by the fact there is no overlap in the 95% confidence interval.

STUDY 1: Waiting Room
Pre-test 95% CI: 6.26-6.36
Post-test 95% CI: 6.34-6.44

The results are not significant (p>0.05). This is shown by the fact there is overlap in the 95% confidence interval.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending