This guy makes a good point about immigration policies Watch

Welsh Bluebird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It certainly does make you think.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...l-four-parties

If we're in the EU we're effectively giving preferential treatment to EU nationals in comparison to others. Are we implying these have more rights than others just because of where they were born?

A Lithuanian with no skills can come here with relative ease and do a basic job but an Indian doctor has to jump through rigorous holes to meet the criteria set. Even then they may be rejected and that's just for being born on the wrong piece of land. The system in place judges them purely on the basis of where they were born.

Surely, as the article points out, its less racist to withdraw from the EU and have an equal system for all whether they're from France, Canada, Australia or Afghanistan? That is a fairer system. All of them should have to face the same criteria and be regarded as equals.

Why are we giving preferential treatment to the French, Germans and other EU nationals over people from the rest of the world? All of that just because they were born on the wrong piece of land and are not a member of the elusive EU club. How is this acceptable?

-----

Those who do not read the article and just go on a tirade of nonsense will be reported. Try and keep this debate civil please and if you can't do that then refrain from posting at all. Thank you.

-----

Please discuss Those who do so like adults will get a response.
Georgie_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But what about the countries and islands within the British isles? Surely then we should not allow the welsh to move to England and vice versa?

I'm tired I can not remember the correct terminology but the EU is in a way trying to create a new state similar in some ways to Britain. So apart from the historical context - under your proposal these criteria should also apply within our isles? Surely there should just be open borders throughout the world in order to obtain the most fair immigration policy?
Welsh Bluebird
Rep:
?
(Original post by Georgie_M)
But what about the countries and islands within the British isles? Surely then we should not allow the welsh to move to England and vice versa?
They're still all British though regardless. Immigration policy will always be about people coming into the United Kingdom collectively as opposed to each country. Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland only have devolved powers anyway. Also, in terms of the EU and on a global and international scale we're regarded as the United Kingdom. Even the EU does not recognise Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland independently which will change of course if Scotland gain independence.
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Welsh Bluebird)
They're still all British though regardless. Immigration policy will always be about people coming into the United Kingdom collectively as opposed to each country. Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland only have devolved powers anyway. Also, in terms of the EU and on a global and international scale we're regarded as the United Kingdom. Even the EU does not recognise Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland independently which will change of course if Scotland gain independence.
While I understand your point I was more referring to this point you made;

All of that just because they were born on the wrong piece of land and are not a member of the elusive EU club. How is this acceptable?

If EU members were subject to the same immigration laws surely they are then subject to 'being born on the wrong piece of land'?

I guess we are looking at it from different perspectives. Or maybe I'm just too tired to debate and should get back to work
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im sorry im not going on the breitbart website , founded by that american loon who makes the daily mail seem mainstream
Welsh Bluebird
Rep:
?
(Original post by James222)
Im sorry im not going on the breitbart website , founded by that american loon who makes the daily mail seem mainstream
I don't know anything about that. I found it on another site. I don't know if I'm allowed to say the name as it may be classed as advertising or something.

The Twitter of the article writer says he's a contributor to The Sun however.

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido

His name is Alex Wickham.
brownbearxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An Indian doctor doesn't have to jump through many hoops. But yes I take your point.
James222
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know anything about that. I found it on another site. I don't know if I'm allowed to say the name as it may be classed as advertising or something.

The Twitter of the article writer says he's a contributor to The Sun however.

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido

His name is Alex Wickham.
oh I thought maybe you knew who breitbart was and trying to pass it off as a neutral source.
Breitbart was (died less than 3 years ago) a very controversial american conservative who engaged in some pretty nasty personal politics. They have recently expanded into the UK market.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course the Indian doctor should have to jump through more hoops.

He is a sodding doctor and can easily kill people. British medicine is highly regulated and we need to know that foreign doctors are upto the standards. Given the number of foreign doctors that get struck off, this hypothetical Indian doctor should be jumping through more hoops.
SloaneRanger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
Of course the Indian doctor should have to jump through more hoops.

He is a sodding doctor and can easily kill people. British medicine is highly regulated and we need to know that foreign doctors are upto the standards. Given the number of foreign doctors that get struck off, this hypothetical Indian doctor should be jumping through more hoops.
True say, these Indians get there qualifications based on the caste system, so much bribery and corruption. The standards are no way as strict and regulated as here, its like having a vet treat human beings.
loletta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it does cost less for EU students in Scotland (around £1000) than for English students in Scotland (£9000)
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It would be better if the common market was extended outside the EU too, at least to the Commonwealth countries for starters and then extended across the world.
trustmeimlying1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

If we're in the EU we're effectively giving preferential treatment to EU nationals in comparison to others. Are we implying these have more rights than others just because of where they were born?

A Lithuanian with no skills can come here with relative ease and do a basic job but an Indian doctor has to jump through rigorous holes to meet the criteria set. Even then they may be rejected and that's just for being born on the wrong piece of land. The system in place judges them purely on the basis of where they were born.

Surely, as the article points out, its less racist to withdraw from the EU and have an equal system for all whether they're from France, Canada, Australia or Afghanistan? That is a fairer system. All of them should have to face the same criteria and be regarded as equals.

Why are we giving preferential treatment to the French, Germans and other EU nationals over people from the rest of the world? All of that just because they were born on the wrong piece of land and are not a member of the elusive EU club. How is this acceptable?

-----

Those who do not read the article and just go on a tirade of nonsense will be reported. Try and keep this debate civil please and if you can't do that then refrain from posting at all. Thank you.

-----

honestly I reckon there should be a cap on how many people can come..shouldnt be a free for all for all eu people to go wherever they like..
our social welfare for example pays better than some wages in eastern europe..so there is an issue there.

in terms of it being racism I disagree.the unity of the EU allows us to accredit our degrees/apprenticeships to a certain EU standard...

hence although the Indian doctor may theoretically be a better doctor..the eu system is less risky adhering to a certain eu standard.
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

-----

-----

Farage himself hints the same thing.
Seriously most people who criticise UKIP's immigration are opportunists.
The only other alternative is completely open borders. If you believe this then why not attack the other parties who support our current policy that gives priority to (overtly white) EU migrants.
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh I thought maybe you knew who breitbart was and trying to pass it off as a neutral source.
Breitbart was (died less than 3 years ago) a very controversial american conservative who engaged in some pretty nasty personal politics. They have recently expanded into the UK market.
The far left really are precious on here. You can't even let an article get past without poisoning the well, implying that because a news organisation is unashamedly right-leaning it is automatically "nasty" and "controversial" and it is very important that everyone knows this lest they should accidentally permit themselves to be persuaded by any arguments advanced therein.
Falcatas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thesabbath)
The far left really are precious on here. You can't even let an article get past without poisoning the well, implying that because a news organisation is unashamedly right-leaning it is automatically "nasty" and "controversial" and it is very important that everyone knows this lest they should accidentally permit themselves to be persuaded by any arguments advanced therein.
Exactly they don't even bother reading it, just dismissing it as evil if comes from a right leaning news source.
James222
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thesabbath)
This has nothing to do with far left get your mind out of gutter. Its called evaluating the source
This isnt some impartial site and readers should he aware of that

I dont have time for american conservatives
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This has nothing to do with far left get your mind out of gutter. Its called evaluating the source
This isnt some impartial site and readers should he aware of that

I dont have time for american conservatives
Impartial sites don't exist, everyone has an agenda. Ever noticed that? If you feel an opinion piece you haven't even read has to be labelled as biased then some may suspect your arguments don't stack up.

Anyone who wants to form a balanced view will read both sources that match their prejudices and those which challenge them and try to bridge that divide by re-evaluating their opinions in the face of competing arguments.

The irony is that you probably pride yourself on your "critical thinking", "open mind" and "lack of bigotry". Unlike those "american conservatives", natch.
The_Duck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it's against EU law to open borders to non-eu countries if that's what you'd prefer.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought that UKIP wanted to freeze immigration? Also their main election motto at the moment is 20 million people want your job!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads