Boycott all chain stores which opened today!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Easter day should be a very important day for England (a Christian country) with everyone being allowed to have a rare day off to spend with family and friends. All we ask is for this, yet walking down the high street many shops were open today! And also bank holidays are supposed to be a day where we can all spend with the family yet most shops are now always open on them days, so employees are forced to work them therefore missing a traditional family day aswell as a rest. I think its about time they get the message - LET US HAVE THESE HOLIDAYS OFF - FOR GOODNESS SAKE ITS ONLY A HANDFUL OF DAYS A YEAR.

Retail is now a 24 hour, 365 days a year industry - and its the public who work too much as it is.
Percy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Easter day should be a very important day for England (a Christian country) with everyone being allowed to have a rare day off to spend with family and friends. All we ask is for this, yet walking down the high street many shops were open today! And also bank holidays are supposed to be a day where we can all spend with the family yet most shops are now always open on them days, so employees are forced to work them therefore missing a traditional family day aswell as a rest. I think its about time they get the message - LET US HAVE THESE HOLIDAYS OFF - FOR GOODNESS SAKE ITS ONLY A HANDFUL OF DAYS A YEAR.

Retail is now a 24 hour, 365 days a year industry - and its the public who work too much as it is.
Hear Hear.
zazy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Even if we do so..there's a majority out there that want a business and money ..They won't give a damn...
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Though I want Britain to become secular, I agree. If this is a Christian country, Christian festivals should be national holidays, we should not do things by half measures.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

yes, but the service industry doesn't always follow the rules. People choose to work during these days generally - you get paid more as well. there will always be those who will want to work over the Easter weekend. besides what do you do if all the shops are closed? play monopoly in the living room?

Think of the poor people who work for the emergency services - they don't get time off at all!
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

rubbish - if you want to work hard and earn more money why cant you?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
People choose to work during these days generally - you get paid more as well. there will always be those who will want to work over the Easter weekend.
i didn't choose to work today... my contract is for saturdays and sundays... so i had to work today. i am also working tomorrow... and they are both for time and a half.

lou xxx
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i didn't choose to work today... my contract is for saturdays and sundays... so i had to work today. i am also working tomorrow... and they are both for time and a half.

lou xxx
i've got a similar kind of contract to work in a library on friday evenings... which will be annoying that's the only prob of part timers.
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 15 years ago
I don't get paid any extra for bank holidays, and they're by far the busiest days of the year for us
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

isnt it under the contract that you need to work these days tho
littleone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
clarks on the high street wasa open today and all the arcade type shops where i live
Col-C
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Boycott the emergency services!! They went to work today!!
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
isnt it under the contract that you need to work these days tho
maybe. but people shouldnt moan about the fact that they have to work public holidays, if they read and signed the contract agreeing to abide by those rules.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Though I want Britain to become secular, I agree. If this is a Christian country, Christian festivals should be national holidays, we should not do things by half measures.
Yeah! I remember when shops were shut on Sundays...
amyitfc
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
it must have been hell!!! i want shops open normal hours on sundays!
im not religious nor are most ppl i know (ie even the ones who may believe in some stuff dont go to church) & thats reflected throughout the country, so its not really a proper christian country anymore - therefore shops should be open yay!
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But what about the non-Christians who want to do their shopping....?
I don't think it's fair to impose a religious festival on an entire nation.
I may regret saying that.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
Me too, but it's better now
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What about my cigarettes....:eek:

I can't not buy my cigarettes

this makes no sense

Does anybody else remember a time when shops ACTUALLY closed on a Sunday. It's making me feel old
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)

Does anybody else remember a time when shops ACTUALLY closed on a Sunday. It's making me feel old
I should really read whole posts before making such remarks!
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
What about my cigarettes....:eek:

I can't not buy my cigarettes

this makes no sense

Yes, I vaguely remember that.
Much prefer having them open.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (60)
18.99%
Labour (154)
48.73%
Liberal Democrats (45)
14.24%
Green Party (20)
6.33%
Brexit Party (4)
1.27%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.95%
SNP (7)
2.22%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.63%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.27%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)