Boycott all chain stores which opened today!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What about half day wednesday? When everybody would close after lunch for a half day
suspicious_fish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
What about half day wednesday? When everybody would close after lunch for a half day
What's the difference between Wednesday and Sunday?
I spose more people are at work on a Wednesday afternoon.... so there's little custom then anyway, so why close?
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My employers allow us to have any holidays off if we have Christian beliefs.
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
My employers allow us to have any holidays off if we have Christian beliefs.
What about if you're not Xian?
Would they let you take Jewish holidays off?
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Easter day should be a very important day for England (a Christian country) with everyone being allowed to have a rare day off to spend with family and friends. All we ask is for this, yet walking down the high street many shops were open today! And also bank holidays are supposed to be a day where we can all spend with the family yet most shops are now always open on them days, so employees are forced to work them therefore missing a traditional family day aswell as a rest. I think its about time they get the message - LET US HAVE THESE HOLIDAYS OFF - FOR GOODNESS SAKE ITS ONLY A HANDFUL OF DAYS A YEAR.

Retail is now a 24 hour, 365 days a year industry - and its the public who work too much as it is.
if everyone has to have a day of rest, regardless of wheather they're christian just because others are on easter, i think that we should remember that there are many people of other religions in the uk and we should grant them the same privilages.
ThunderCat8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
At woolies, we had to go into work today, but we were not open. I won't get paid extra as Sunday is my contracted hours. Not money and a half, just plain old normal pay. Pooey woolies. In the high street where I live, the only two shops open today were Ladbrokes and a newsagents. Despite that, there were still hundreds of annoying "customers" walking up and down the high street looking for cheap easter eggs...
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
don't remember that but i remember that shops did actually close on sundays and i remember it being really crap and pointless.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Easter day should be a very important day for England (a Christian country) with everyone being allowed to have a rare day off to spend with family and friends. All we ask is for this, yet walking down the high street many shops were open today! And also bank holidays are supposed to be a day where we can all spend with the family yet most shops are now always open on them days, so employees are forced to work them therefore missing a traditional family day aswell as a rest. I think its about time they get the message - LET US HAVE THESE HOLIDAYS OFF - FOR GOODNESS SAKE ITS ONLY A HANDFUL OF DAYS A YEAR.

Retail is now a 24 hour, 365 days a year industry - and its the public who work too much as it is.
Is Britain a predominantly christian country anymore?
Why shouldnt the shops be open for those of us who follow a different religion or have no religion at all?
ThunderCat8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If the shops were closed every time it was a religious festival, they'd never be open at all! It's always some religious festival, whether it be Easter, or Pass Over, or Tree Day. There are so many religions that we either respect every single one of them, or none at all. It is much easier just to ignore all religious festivals (except Christmas, which just rocks :P) so if a shop wants to be open on Easter, let them. No one is getting hurt are they. If the workers are happy to work, then there's now't to worry about. :cool:
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ThunderCat8)
No one is getting hurt are they. If the workers are happy to work, then there's now't to worry about. :cool:
but what if they have no choice cos it's a normal contracted day?

and i can honestly say if i didn't have work today, i would have gone to church.

lou xxx
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If the shops were closed every time it was a religious festival, they'd never be open at all! It's always some religious festival, whether it be Easter, or Pass Over, or Tree Day. There are so many religions that we either respect every single one of them, or none at all. It is much easier just to ignore all religious festivals (except Christmas, which just rocks :P) so if a shop wants to be open on Easter, let them. No one is getting hurt are they. If the workers are happy to work, then there's now't to worry about. :cool:
Hear hear.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Is Britain a predominantly christian country anymore?
Why shouldnt the shops be open for those of us who follow a different religion or have no religion at all?
i agree with you. Christians have to accept that christianity isn't the only religion in this country anymore and they can't expect everyone to follow thier christian rules.
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
Yeah! I remember when shops were shut on Sundays...

They still are in the City grr and damn them!
ThunderCat8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
but what if they have no choice cos it's a normal contracted day?

and i can honestly say if i didn't have work today, i would have gone to church.

lou xxx
If you felt strongly about going to Church, i am sure that you could have asked your manager for the day off so that you could follow your beliefs. I dont think there are many managers mean enough to deny you that (I may be wrong...actually, I probably am wrong!) It is your right to have beliefs and you should have insisted to have the day off. Fight for your cause! Be brave!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you felt strongly about going to Church, i am sure that you could have asked your manager for the day off so that you could follow your beliefs. I dont think there are many managers mean enough to deny you that (I may be wrong...actually, I probably am wrong!) It is your right to have beliefs and you should have insisted to have the day off. Fight for your cause! Be brave!
it's a small shop and there's only 5 of us- 2 of us have to be in. the magager was on holiday and the 2 other girls definately couldn't... and i'm pretty new (and she is a pain about trying to get you to do extra hours anyway)

lou xxx
ThunderCat8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You'd better ask now to have Easter Sunday 2005 off, then they can't complain!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You'd better ask now to have Easter Sunday 2005 off, then they can't complain!
ha! there's no way i'll be there then.

lou xxx
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A girl at my school told the teachers she refused to come in for jewish holidays.

It took them at least 3 holidays for them to realise she was at a Church of England school and had a letter of confirmation, christening etc from her local minister and she was actually CofE.

I'm not that bothered about religion and stuff, however it is tradition and as England is a Christian (Church of England in fact) country we should really abide by that. I couldn't get a damned thing to eat during the day in Tunisia during Ramadan (if it's not that please hit me) so I don't see why we should keep open for a very small minority. Though garages should be open, the ones that work in my local ones do not celebrate easter (It is not a stereotype but truth) and more people drive around during Bank Holidays etc. and I don't mind walking like a mile to get some ciggs
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A girl at my school told the teachers she refused to come in for jewish holidays.

It took them at least 3 holidays for them to realise she was at a Church of England school and had a letter of confirmation, christening etc from her local minister and she was actually CofE.

I'm not that bothered about religion and stuff, however it is tradition and as England is a Christian (Church of England in fact) country we should really abide by that. I couldn't get a damned thing to eat during the day in Tunisia during Ramadan (if it's not that please hit me) so I don't see why we should keep open for a very small minority. Though garages should be open, the ones that work in my local ones do not celebrate easter (It is not a stereotype but truth) and more people drive around during Bank Holidays etc. and I don't mind walking like a mile to get some ciggs
ok, in the past Britain was almost completley Christian but isn't anymore. I don't see tradition being a valid reason to force shops to close on easter sunday. No ones stopping Christians from not going shoping and enjoying a day of rest and Christians should have the option of having the day off but i don't see why it can't be another normal day for non christians.
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you work in service then you gotta deal with working seven days a week, 365 days a year. My pub where I'm a waiter is open 1200-2200 for food, all day every day. I worked today (for single pay), Christmas and New Year, because I'm expected to.

Remember, you're not forced to work these days.........
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (315)
46.12%
No (75)
10.98%
I'm not old enough (293)
42.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed