Boycott all chain stores which opened today!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by carldaman)
If you work in service then you gotta deal with working seven days a week, 365 days a year. My pub where I'm a waiter is open 1200-2200 for food, all day every day. I worked today (for single pay), Christmas and New Year, because I'm expected to.

Remember, you're not forced to work these days.........
I was threatned with my job a few years ago after booking off Xmas, I had to work Xmas eve, Xmas day, Boxing day and the 4 days before and after then New Years right up until 4am and then Breakfast on new year's day at 6am then because someone didn't turn up through till 6pm
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I was threatned with my job a few years ago after booking off Xmas, I had to work Xmas eve, Xmas day, Boxing day and the 4 days before and after then New Years right up until 4am and then Breakfast on new year's day at 6am then because someone didn't turn up through till 6pm
thats the risk of working in a service industry tho........ being called in to cover someone else's shifts. but you should know that when u sign the contract...
sashh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I really object to being forced to observe holy days. I think any sho or business should be allowed to trade on any day of the year.

I've lived all over the country and some places shops shut on a saturday and Jewish festivals because the owners are Jewish, some places close for Eid because the owners are Muslim. I

do not object to anyone closing their business for a day because of their beliefs but I object to laws forcing people to close on a certain day because of one religeon.

Oh and on the subject of emergency services etc. In the NHS you are paid extra for working bank holidays but if the actual date of something like christmas falls on a saturdy or a sunday you don't get paid to work that but you do get paid extra for the bank holiday eg if 25th Decenber was a Saturday and you worked 25,26,27,28th you would be paid extra for the 27th and 28th.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, they would.
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
What about if you're not Xian?
Would they let you take Jewish holidays off?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Easter day should be a very important day for England (a Christian country) with everyone being allowed to have a rare day off to spend with family and friends. All we ask is for this, yet walking down the high street many shops were open today! And also bank holidays are supposed to be a day where we can all spend with the family yet most shops are now always open on them days, so employees are forced to work them therefore missing a traditional family day aswell as a rest. I think its about time they get the message - LET US HAVE THESE HOLIDAYS OFF - FOR GOODNESS SAKE ITS ONLY A HANDFUL OF DAYS A YEAR.

Retail is now a 24 hour, 365 days a year industry - and its the public who work too much as it is.
I don't see the problem. Those people who wish to spend Easter Sunday quietly amongst family and friends can do so. Those people who want to catch up with some DIY can visit B&Q. I don't see how one deters the other.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Does anybody else remember a time when shops ACTUALLY closed on a Sunday. It's making me feel old
Goto Sheffield on a Sunday, its like walking through Sunderland on a normal day, totally dead.

I prefer shops being open 24/7, there will usually be enough eager to work on the Bank Holidays because they have the chance to earn more. I assume plenty of people couldn't give a toss about religion either, I don't.

Adam
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And also bank holidays are supposed to be a day where we can all spend with the family yet most shops are now always open on them days, so employees are forced to work them therefore missing a traditional family day aswell as a rest.
Not true - nobody is forced. An incentive to do so, however, is that they get a lot more cash for working on a bank-holiday. A friend of mine who works a Boots was paid £8 an hour instead of £4 yesterday.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Not true - nobody is forced. An incentive to do so, however, is that they get a lot more cash for working on a bank-holiday. A friend of mine who works a Boots was paid £8 an hour instead of £4 yesterday.
A lot of contracts "require you to be available on Bank Holidays".
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
A lot of contracts "require you to be available on Bank Holidays".
Tesco don't (well didn't used to) I know that for a fact. You have the choice whether to turn up or not on a Bank Holiday shift, and if you do you get 1.5 time.

Adam
kissit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Easter day should be a very important day for England (a Christian country) with everyone being allowed to have a rare day off to spend with family and friends. All we ask is for this, yet walking down the high street many shops were open today! And also bank holidays are supposed to be a day where we can all spend with the family yet most shops are now always open on them days, so employees are forced to work them therefore missing a traditional family day aswell as a rest. I think its about time they get the message - LET US HAVE THESE HOLIDAYS OFF - FOR GOODNESS SAKE ITS ONLY A HANDFUL OF DAYS A YEAR.

Retail is now a 24 hour, 365 days a year industry - and its the public who work too much as it is.
Not everyone wants to be vegatating just because its a 'bank holiday.'
People may view the extra day off as a chance to get something done,eg shopping, diy etc So if certain places weren't open many people would actually be pissed off...especially as that day may feel wasted. I work bank holidays because I work for a brewer and therefore have to continue to supply all the pubs. Imagine how many people would moan if the pubs were closed,especially when they are planning a 'family' lunch etc. If you do happen to work for a company who 'force' employees to work bank holiday and feel this strongly about it simply change jobs.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Similarly, employers are not required to pay extra or to give time off in lieu of extra pay. Therefore, many people are "forced" to work on bank holidays for no extra pay because of their contract.

Don't argue that people can choose whether or not to sign the contract; because although true, people generally cannot choose between employment and unemployment on the basis of bank holidays! I think national holidays should be declared for everyone .
poowpoow
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i did a thirteen hour shift yesterday
kissit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Similarly, employers are not required to pay extra or to give time off in lieu of extra pay. Therefore, many people are "forced" to work on bank holidays for no extra pay because of their contract.

Don't argue that people can choose whether or not to sign the contract; because although true, people generally cannot choose between employment and unemployment on the basis of bank holidays! I think national holidays should be declared for everyone .
Excuse me missy but i will argue that people can choose wether to sign a contract or not. I work to live....not live to work....everybody has a choice.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kissit)
Excuse me missy but i will argue that people can choose wether to sign a contract or not. I work to live....not live to work....everybody has a choice.
Beggars can't be choosers!
kissit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Beggars can't be choosers!
Take it you are not working today then?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kissit)
Take it you are not working today then?

Nope.
amyitfc
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
Goto Sheffield on a Sunday, its like walking through Sunderland on a normal day, totally dead.

I prefer shops being open 24/7, there will usually be enough eager to work on the Bank Holidays because they have the chance to earn more. I assume plenty of people couldn't give a toss about religion either, I don't.

Adam
is that true, about sheff being dead on a sunday??? please say no - i have a physical need to (window)shop.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

unfortunately, employers will always employ those who are willing to work when required, esp in the service and retail industry. bearing in mind your 'beggars can't be choosy' comment, one can generally, however, choose the type of profession one goes into (in this country anyway).

recent surveys published in The Times show that most people in the UK are busy, but can still find time to spend pursuing interests or with the family. Many employers are gradually becoming accustomed to providing maternity/paternity leave and other types of leave. imo the average person in UK gets plenty of time tospend with the family. so there's no really big deal about shops beign opened on national holidays.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (255)
48.48%
No (58)
11.03%
I'm not old enough (213)
40.49%

Watched Threads