Are SUVs good car for uni??? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Wilsoncw1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Since they all have bad mpgs, is it worth it to buy an SUV for college???
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
Depends on what you're looking for in a car tbh. They do tend to have bad fuel consumption due to their large weights and heavy 4WD systems etc.

Unless you're doing soemthing where you need a SUV, such as farm work etc then i don't see the need.

Some people like them and don't mind the extra cost though.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're wealthy.
fluttershy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
If you're wealthy.
Unless the OP is a mum with 2 or 3 kids in private school, or a country land owner, there are far better cars to buy than an SUV.
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No.
Bad on fuel and uni's are usually pretty bad for parking...
Solemn Rain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're a student, and you want a SUV!?:lolwut:
TheGuy117
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
See, the fools in this thread are thinking long term. Fuel costs, no money, loans yadda yadda yadda, BORING. Don't listen to them OP, what you need to focus on is the coming semester. Think of all the girls who will like you because you have a badass SUV. Get the SUV OP, get it.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheGuy117)
See, the fools in this thread are thinking long term. Fuel costs, no money, loans yadda yadda yadda, BORING. Don't listen to them OP, what you need to focus on is the coming semester. Think of all the girls who will like you because you have a badass SUV. Get the SUV OP, get it.
Your post fails because girls would far prefer a sports coupe/saloon to a SUV.
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
Your post fails because girls would far prefer a sports coupe/saloon to a SUV.
SUV is the new german saloon apparently
fluttershy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a girl myself, I know that if some man turned up in a 14reg top of the range SUV, or a battered old Passat, I wouldn't give the SUV driver a second look.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends what you call "bad".

My Disco TDi manages between 29 and 32mpg (imperial). My previous V8 disco was more like 16mpg.

Ultimately, it's your money. Buy what you want.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you like the looks and driving position of one then they aren't that bad. Bad MPG? Yes they don't give the best out there but it isn't the end of the world. If you won't be doing any off-road driving you could always get one that isn't 4WD and quite possibly you won't need one with the biggest engine either.

Also unless you will be using it everyday for long commutes it is unlikely you will feel much of a pinch with the fuel consumption. However consumables to maintain it does cost a fair bit more, things such as suspension parts and tyres do tend to wear out and will be expensive to replace.
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why do you need a car, let along a SUV? Most students walk/ cycle to uni, and even getting the bus is likely to be cheaper than the costs of buying, running and maintaining a car.
Also, most campuses/ uni departments won't have student parking unless you are a disabled student, so you are unlikely to be able to use the car to get anywhere useful anyway.
Wilsoncw1997
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Depends what you call "bad".

My Disco TDi manages between 29 and 32mpg (imperial). My previous V8 disco was more like 16mpg.

Ultimately, it's your money. Buy what you want.
Well I'm looking into a GL Class and here's the MPG : city 19, Highway 26 (US). So is it bad? by the way its diesel.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I'm looking into a GL Class and here's the MPG : city 19, Highway 26 (US). So is it bad? by the way its diesel.
That's a question for yourself.
If you can personally afford it and that's what you want then there's nothing to stop you from putting your hand in your pocket, is there?
M4LLY
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The only 'SUV' a student in the UK could afford would be a clapped out RAV 4 or Vitara. The Rav 4 at least is dreadful,
manus062
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why do you need to buy a car just to get to university? ever heard of something called public transport?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by manus062)
Why do you need to buy a car just to get to university? ever heard of something called public transport?
You're replying to a 4 year old thread... :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads