This discussion is closed.
satun
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi! Im currently studying in the international baccalaureate programme (ib), and am planning to take HL in Music, biology and something else, im not sure.. i would definitely do music if i could, but the chances of becoming a professional musician are very low, and i dont really aspire to be a teacher, so i was thinking of maybe studying neuroscience in university.... But the problem is, ive already dropped chemistry last year, as i was doing pretty atrociously, yet i understand that almost all university neuroscience courses require chemistry. So is there still a chance?
username939180
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
From my understanding, if you don't study the required subjects it'll be a straightforward rejection. There's a reason chemistry is required for neuroscience and if you do get in, you'll most likely struggle because of your lack of knowledge and won't be able to meet the demands of the course. I don't know if they'll make exceptions but that being said, I think it's very unlikely.
satun
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
hmmmm.... thanks, but thats sad
wellll is there nothing i can do at all?
username939180
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by satun)
hmmmm.... thanks, but thats sad
wellll is there nothing i can do at all?
I'm not entirely sure. Maybe another poster could clarify. What I said was just from my understanding of the system, but I've not heard of anyone getting into a course where they haven't taken the required subjects. Could you not study for an equivalent chemistry qualification or pick it up again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
la95
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by satun)
Hi! Im currently studying in the international baccalaureate programme (ib), and am planning to take HL in Music, biology and something else, im not sure.. i would definitely do music if i could, but the chances of becoming a professional musician are very low, and i dont really aspire to be a teacher, so i was thinking of maybe studying neuroscience in university.... But the problem is, ive already dropped chemistry last year, as i was doing pretty atrociously, yet i understand that almost all university neuroscience courses require chemistry. So is there still a chance?
I had a quick look at the Leeds website and they require biology OR chemistry plus one other science or science-related subject (you could contact them to find out what subjects constitute a 'science' or 'science-related' subject): http://www.fbs.leeds.ac.uk/undergrad...abset_maintab4

Manchester require any two of biology, chemistry, maths or physics but if your grades are AAB or above, they will accept geography, PE, psychology or environmental sciences in the place of one of the 'hard sciences': http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

In short, yes, you can do neuroscience without chemistry.
Jibzy1
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
As well as queen Mary university of London
X
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (70)
67.96%
In the post (4)
3.88%
Text (14)
13.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
14.56%

Watched Threads