The Student Room Group

Anybody studying TS Eliot?

Hi, I would like to find out what were T S Eliot's views on social class in society? Preferably linking to the Waste Land.

(I need this because I'm studying the Great Gatsby and Fitzgerald often references to TS Eliot)

Thank YOU! :smile:
The funny thing about Eliot (along with a lot of the Modernists) is that despite their literary experimentation and 'newness' (Ezra Pound summed up the whole Modernist movement with his mantra: 'Make it new'), they were on the whole quite socially conservative. The key figure in the Waste Land is the typist, who is representative of new class of people - people who work, but who work in offices rather than in manual labour such as industry or mining. If you want to know more, my website (massolit.co.uk) has a great course on Modernism which talks about social class in The Waste Land quite a bit...
Reply 2
Original post by christudor
The funny thing about Eliot (along with a lot of the Modernists) is that despite their literary experimentation and 'newness' (Ezra Pound summed up the whole Modernist movement with his mantra: 'Make it new'), they were on the whole quite socially conservative. The key figure in the Waste Land is the typist, who is representative of new class of people - people who work, but who work in offices rather than in manual labour such as industry or mining. If you want to know more, my website (massolit.co.uk) has a great course on Modernism which talks about social class in The Waste Land quite a bit...

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending