The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Maybe a year volunteering/working/interning abroad would fulfill the language/cultural thing you want (if that's what you want) better?
Reply 2
As far as i'm aware you can take a year abroad and at the same time extend your studies for a year. They are quite flexible if you have good reasons and actual plans.
Reply 3
There is also the Cambridge/MIT exchange programme, where one maths student each year gets to exchange places with an MIT student and study at MIT in their second year.
Reply 4
apd35
There is also the Cambridge/MIT exchange programme, where one maths student each year gets to exchange places with an MIT student and study at MIT in their second year.

yeah.. i've heard about that, but i didn't know it was only one person.. it must be really competitive, then..
Reply 5
apd35

I didnt know it was limited to 1 student, surely it's rather just the number of students willing to participate in the exchange matched up from both sides?
As far as i'm aware you can take a year abroad and at the same time extend your studies for a year. They are quite flexible if you have good reasons and actual plans.

so, can you do erasmus (or other) exchanges at cambridge? i was always under the impression that you couldn't... i knew about the MIT one, but thta wouldn't apply to me, being a philsopher...
Reply 7
Willa
I didnt know it was limited to 1 student, surely it's rather just the number of students willing to participate in the exchange matched up from both sides?

Maybe it is, but I think it was only one the year before last (I know the guy who did it) and also only one next year (I'm also know the girl doing it then).
Reply 8
MIT might be competitive depending on your subject. a fair few engineers,for example, will get the chance to go to boston in their 3rd year, as well as the odd medic etc. luck of the draw (and bloody good 1st year results) is what it seems to be.

as for other exchanges, if they exist, they're not well publicised! colleges will however give out huge travel grants to students who want to go abroad for, say, the long vacation, to do dissertation research (or have an 'educational' holiday) etc. i know an anthropology student who's used this money to go to india this summer, for example.

with regards to erasmus, even the languages students aren't automatically part of the erasmus scheme (we're all entitled to a place, but we'd have to apply individually) so i doubt that it'd be any easier for students of other subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending