The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

University Accommodation 2014 - Q&A Thread

Hi, this is a thread that will be monitored by our Accommodation team to answer any questions you might have about the application process, how it is allocated, or any other accommodation queries. We will aim to respond to your question within 24 hours.

Looking forward to your questions :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

About to start looking at universities for 2015. Need to search this early as i have specific dietry needs with severe food allergies therefore self catered halls is a must and ideally an en suite bathroom throughout my course. Chester caught my eye, particularly 'grosnover house' ? Are these studios available for first years as many other universities require you to be 21 to apply for a studio? Also, do you have any accomodation of this sort for 2/3 year students? Seen the unite private halls. Are these for first years only? Thanks
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Hi thanks for your message.

Grosvenor House is a newly developed property for 2013/14. Located at the heart of the campus, the accommodation provided 202 studio flats located over threeblocks. All studios are equipped with large en-suite bathrooms, fittedkitchen and queen size bed.
Further details and photographs of Grosvenor House can be found on our website www.chester.ac.uk/accommodation

If you have a specific requirement that you want us to be aware of, just make sure you include this in your accommodation application form and we’ll take this into consideration when we allocate the rooms.

Grosvenor House,like all of the University Owned properties are only available for first years( you don’t have to be 21) , so in your second and third year we would advise students to look into the private sector.We use a site called StudentPad to advertise all private sectorproperties. All properties areaccredited/ approved or "student stamped" by the local authorityhousing team.Check out http://www.chesterstudentstamp.co.uk/Accommodation

Hope this helps but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask J

Soph
Accommodation Office Co-ordinator
The University of Chester

Original post by Keshiaelin
About to start looking at universities for 2015. Need to search this early as i have specific dietry needs with severe food allergies therefore self catered halls is a must and ideally an en suite bathroom throughout my course. Chester caught my eye, particularly 'grosnover house' ? Are these studios available for first years as many other universities require you to be 21 to apply for a studio? Also, do you have any accomodation of this sort for 2/3 year students? Seen the unite private halls. Are these for first years only? Thanks
What is the availability like for halls in the Warrington campus? Im moving from Northern Ireland and I would really prefer halls to private accomodation :smile: Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

I'm speaking as a former student here so please take all I say here with a pinch of salt. Unfortunately at Chester you cannot pick specific buildings to live in, instead when the accommodation application comes in you rank the types of accommodation available in order of preference, and the university does all it can to fulfil your needs in that department. Normally (I believe there are exceptions), accommodation is only provided for first years, due to our being a small campus, but with your circumstances the university MAY (I'm definitely making no promises here) make an exception. My best advice would be to contact the accommodation department at [email protected] and explain your situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they say to get in touch later in the year, but please don't be put off, right now they're probably prepping for trying to house an entire first year of students, but definitely get in touch with them.

An alternative solution I can think of off the top of my head is Abbeygate Halls. These are privately owned and not affiliated with the University but are around five minutes walk from the uni, and I can confirm that these definitely do have an en suite and kitchen and are self catered, having had a friend stay in one. From what I understand they're available to all years. Unite Student housing as far as I know aren't in the area, but Abbeygate's details are at www.freshstudentliving.co.uk.

I hope this helps, again, I am only a former student, but the uni are from what I understand trying to get someone to keep an eye on this thread so they should be able to get reply in more depth soon, but definitely try those two points of contact anyway!

Grosvenor House is a newly developed property for 2013/14 located at the heart of the campus, providing 202 studio flats located over three blocks. All studios are equipped with large en-suite bathrooms, fitted kitchens and a queen sized bed. Further details and photographs of the property can be found on our website www.chester.ac.uk/accommodation

At Chester, you don’t need to pick the specific residence, but rather the type of accommodation that you would prefer. If you have a specific requirement you would like to make us aware of, just make sure to include the details on your application form and we’ll take this into consideration when allocating the rooms. Grosvenor, like all of the University owned accommodation are only available for first year students( you don’t have to be 21), so in your second and third year we would advise students to look into the private sector. Don’t worry though the Students’ Union run an accommodation fair ( usually in the Spring term) and we can provide advice and guidance on this when it’s time to start looking. We list various privately owned properties on our website all properties listed have been approved by the local council. Check out this website for more details http://www.chesterstudentstamp.co.uk/Accommodation

Hope this answers your question :smile: If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us and a member of the Accommodation team will be more than happy to help!

Soph
Accommodation Office
The University of Chester
Original post by amandarachael
What is the availability like for halls in the Warrington campus? Im moving from Northern Ireland and I would really prefer halls to private accomodation :smile: Thanks!

Availability of Accommodation is very good at Warrington campus and you shouldn't have any problems getting a place on campus (especially as you're coming to us from Northern Ireland!)
Original post by University of Chester
Availability of Accommodation is very good at Warrington campus and you shouldn't have any problems getting a place on campus (especially as you're coming to us from Northern Ireland!)

I just got an email after I made the university my firm choice. Thanks for your help! Its a big relief :smile:
What is the policy for having guests from back home staying in your accommodation? I once read somewhere it's okay for up to 2 nights a week as long as it's cleared with the reception and one member of the accommodation? Any information would be helpful!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm starting In September studying a postgraduate degree. As Chester does not supply accommodations for postgrad students, where can I go around looking for accommodation?
Hi

The policy for guests in University is as followed :

Guests and Visitors - If you wish a guest to stay overnight you must book them in for a maximum of 2 nights, 2 times a term. All guests must be signed in at the Porters Lodge. No guests under 18 years of age are permitted to stay in University accommodation.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Original post by redhead25
What is the policy for having guests from back home staying in your accommodation? I once read somewhere it's okay for up to 2 nights a week as long as it's cleared with the reception and one member of the accommodation? Any information would be helpful!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

There is plenty of private sector accommodation available in Chester that is suitable for postgraduate students. To view the private sector accommodation that is advertised with the University you need to visit the Chester page of studentpad.

http://www.chesterstudentstamp.co.uk/Accommodation

Alternatively the accommodation team have a number of properties that are managed by the University that we use for postgraduate students. If you would like more information regarding these properties please contact:

[email protected]

Regards

Mark

Original post by Ileung612
I'm starting In September studying a postgraduate degree. As Chester does not supply accommodations for postgrad students, where can I go around looking for accommodation?

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing!

We saw that someone mentioned Abbeygate up above, so just wanted to give you a little more info! Abbeygate is open for all students going into any year of university may it be first year or even a post graduate, and it doesn't how close or far away you live normally!

You can give our Accommodation Manager David a call on 07717 858 410 or 01244 399415 and he can give you much more info and book you in for a viewing! Or take a look at our website for more details, photos etc to give you a better idea! www.freshstudentliving.co.uk/AbbeygateChester

Many Thanks,
Katie @ Fresh
I am both gluten and lactose intolerant but I would like my meals to be catered for so I don't have to worry about budgeting for food and having to plan meals ahead (as my diet is restricted due to food intolerances). Are there enough options for all 3 meals that are gluten and lactose free?
Original post by MayaFly7
I am both gluten and lactose intolerant but I would like my meals to be catered for so I don't have to worry about budgeting for food and having to plan meals ahead (as my diet is restricted due to food intolerances). Are there enough options for all 3 meals that are gluten and lactose free?

Hello, we have asked our Catering team for more information. We will get back to you as soon as we can :smile:
Original post by MayaFly7

Hello,

After speaking with Catering Services, there will be no problem with gluten free and lactose free diet. We have lots of students with dietary requirements, if you speak to the Executive Chef on the first day she will be able to suggest a meal plan. Hope this helps. If you want to contact Catering Services for more information, feel free to email [email protected]

Thanks
Sophie.

Reply 16
Hi I had my place confirmed and on pass it says that my application for accommodation was processed on 08/05/2014 when will I hear back about the accommodation?
Original post by oneshane
Hi I had my place confirmed and on pass it says that my application for accommodation was processed on 08/05/2014 when will I hear back about the accommodation?

Hi

After the A-levels are released in August we will start allocating accommodation. As soon as we have news we'll let you know via email.

Thanks
Soph.
Reply 18
Original post by Soph@accomm
Hi

After the A-levels are released in August we will start allocating accommodation. As soon as we have news we'll let you know via email.

Thanks
Soph.

Great thanks very much :smile:
Original post by Soph@accomm
Hello,

After speaking with Catering Services, there will be no ******* with gluten free and lactose free diet. We have lots of students with dietary requirements, if you speak to the Executive Chef on the first day she will be able to suggest a meal plan. Hope this helps. If you want to contact Catering Services for more information, feel free to email [email protected]

Thanks
Sophie.

Thank you for getting back to me! Could I ask what you mean by the stars between "no" and "with gluten free"?

Quick Reply