Scared of Chemistry AS

Watch this thread
puffhi
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
hello , im yr 12 student who picked Chemistry , Maths , Biology and Economics .
I want to Study medicine .
Im doing well in all of the other subjects expect chemistry , and im really scared for my exam.( Im doing Edxecel)
Im at a Grade C/D right now , and i want to bring it up to a grade A

For unit 1(im at a low B)- I understand the main points and i have tried to memorize the CGP revision book for it , but on questions that don't ask for recalling knowledge and give you an example that you havent seen before i fall apart.
For unit 2- its the same , its just the multiple choice questions i do bad in ,and writing equations are my downfall.

Please can i have any tips for revision , i am dedicated to getting an A in this subject ,and my unit 1 exam is in 3/4 weeks.
awesomearps
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Tip no.1 Don't panic. I know it sounds easy to say but stay calm and focused
Tip no.2 use revision guides and websites like get revising to make detailed notes and mind maps
Tip no.3 use flash cards to learn the definitions etc and other essential stuff.
Tip no.4 DO LOTS AND LOTS OF PAST PAPERS!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
QuantumSuicide
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Looks to me like you're trying to memorise everything instead of understanding it. This only works (sort of) for biology. The questions which you're struggling with are application based - they test your understanding to see if you can apply what you've learned to unfamiliar situations. If you're struggling with these then your understanding is not fully there yet.

Equations are a foundation for chem. What problems do you have with equations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Memorizing is never the way to go, if you actually research and understand why the topics work I'm sure you'll have no problems at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheStudent18
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by puffhi)
hello , im yr 12 student who picked Chemistry , Maths , Biology and Economics .
I want to Study medicine .
Im doing well in all of the other subjects expect chemistry , and im really scared for my exam.( Im doing Edxecel)
Im at a Grade C/D right now , and i want to bring it up to a grade A

For unit 1(im at a low B)- I understand the main points and i have tried to memorize the CGP revision book for it , but on questions that don't ask for recalling knowledge and give you an example that you havent seen before i fall apart.
For unit 2- its the same , its just the multiple choice questions i do bad in ,and writing equations are my downfall.

Please can i have any tips for revision , i am dedicated to getting an A in this subject ,and my unit 1 exam is in 3/4 weeks.
Hi OP,

I would suggest going through your revision guide and any issued text books specific to Edexcel AS-Chemistry. Integrate the information between the books and make concise notes, mind-maps, lists, posters, spider-diagrams - anything that helps YOU. Additionally, print out a copy of the course specification and make sure that you are learning the required content as some text books may have information that is not required for the actual exam (but useful for background knowledge).

Past papers are the key to most science exam, so ff you understand much of the course content, move onto past papers and really focus on the areas you are weakest at. There is no point in revising the content that you feel comfortable with in great detail with exams being so close. But keep going over past papers as this will allow you to get a feel for the exam type and the time pressures experienced during the exam!

Understand the information, don't simply memorise it. Understanding the information makes it a lot easier to memorise!

Hope this helps OP,

Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
21.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
8.51%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
8.51%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
10.64%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
25.53%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
25.53%

Watched Threads