Afghan couple hack off nose, ears in revenge attack

Watch
Umar1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
BAGHLAN MARKAZI Afghanistan (Reuters) - Afghan police have arrested the parents of a 14-year-old girl after they attacked a religious cleric and cut off his nose and ears in retaliation for what they say were a series of sexual attacks on their daughter.

Right activists say there has been a sharp rise in violent attacks against women in the deeply conservative Muslim country, where women have fought hard to gain rights after the collapse of Taliban government in 2001.

Restoring women's rights after the Taliban was ousted by a U.S.-led coalition of troops was cited as one of the main objectives of the war.

The provincial head of women's affairs, Khadija Yaqeen, told Reuters that the girl had told her parents four months ago she had been assaulted.

The father invited the mullah to his house on Monday for dinner, police said.

"I cut off his ears and nose," her father Abdul Qahar, dressed in a traditional shalwar kameez and a turban, said from the police chief's office in the northern Baghlan province.

"I don't know if a cat ate his ears, but his nose went down the drain," he told Reuters, speaking in the Dari language

Police arrested the girl's parents on Tuesday. Ahmad Jawid Basharat, a police spokesman in Baghlan, said Qahar had tied the cleric's hands and feet and cut off his nose and an ear as an act of revenge.

The 32-year-old cleric denied he had assaulted the girl.

Police said they have opened a case against him.

Religious, or sharia, law often holds sway over contitutional law in some parts of rural Afghanistan.

"If there was a functioning rule of law, then he would be punished even more severely," said the girl's mother, Sultana, wearing a traditional all-covering burqa.

There is growing fear among many people in Afghanistan that the withdrawal of NATO-led forces and efforts to reach a political agreement with the Taliban to end the 12-year-old war could undermine hard-won freedoms for women.

The hardline Islamist government banned girls from attending school when it ruled the country from 1996 to 2001, and during the insurgency its militants have regularly bombed girls' schools built with U.S. money.
http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article...40429?irpc=932
Posted from TSR Mobile
MathsAddict
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
\Afghan's culturally are just crazy people.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Normal stuff.
alea iacta est
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Barbaric.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Normally I would be against this kind of thing, but the guy molested their daughter....
Umar1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
Normally I would be against this kind of thing, but the guy molested their daughter....
Agree here tbh..

Posted from TSR Mobile
ESPORTIVA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zainabahlulbayt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
While i believe the cleric if guilty should have been severely punished, i think it should have gone through a court of law, although if anyone did that to my daughter...

The Taliban are pretty backward anyway.

Spoiler:
Show

Beware of the minority spreading lies about shiite muslims. Shia muslims all believe. Many people on tsr have started to call me an apostate/insult my beliefs.

1. There is no God but Allah swt, and only him do we ultimately rely on. He can never be seen, has no 'form' or 'confine' because it is an injustice to the almighty to say he has a form, can be seen, moves.
2. That Muhammed peace and blessings be upon him, is the greatest man and the seal of the prophets pbuh.
3. No Imam has 'complete knowledge of the unseen', , this is kufr. Furthermore, we believe the Imams a.s are slaves of Allah swt, and have no power nor knowledge independent of what Allah swt permits them to have. The final Imam is the Mahdi a.s.
4. That sunni's are our MUSLIM brothers and sisters.
5. We do not class Abubakr, Umar, nor Uthman among the great companions, but it is FORBIDDEN to abuse them in shia islam. We merely state places where we feel we disagreed with their actions, and our view on such matters. We also LOVE the Sahabah, the loyal ones, the matyr's of badr, and many many more, ranging from Ibn Abbas (r.a), to Hazrat Hamza(r.a) to Bilal (r.a) to Abudhar (r.a)..(i could keep on going)
6. We follow the Sunnah of Muhammed pbuh, as preserved by the ahlulbayt a.s and the pious companions.
7. Only a minority of shias self-flagetllate. This is considered impermissible by a vast number of our most emminent scholars.
8. Be careful when you find anyone quoting Al-Kafi , we do not consider every hadith sahih or hasan, many could be 'daef'. We use the sciences of hadith on each and every one. When you count all the hadiths, you still get to over as many sahih hadiths as Bukhari.
9. We are split into many many 'sects'. This is not accurate. There are around 250,000,000 shia's and 90% of them are 'twelvers' otherwise known as 'jafaris'. Shia's are in a sizeable minority because they and the ahlulbayt a.s have been presecuted and opressed. In saudi arabia, bahrain, indonesia, malaysia etc, shia's are either forbidden to preach , practise, or take part in government..
10. A big myth spread is that sunni's are oppressed in Iran. Sunni's actually have 20 representatives in iranian parliament and are permitted to build mosques. This is in contrast to saudi arabia, malaysia, indonesia, bahrain, where they can not participate in government, in many work-areas, nor preach their faith.

Grand Ayatullah Khamenei

Ayatullah Khamenei, in his position as the Hakim Al-Shari’i has given a Hukm forbidding blood flagellation. A hukm is binding on all Muslims, unlike a fatwa.

Question 1450:
Is hitting oneself with swords halal if it is done in secret? Or is your fatwa in this regard universal?

Answer:
In addition to the fact that it is not held in the common view as manifestations of mourning and grief and it has no precedent at the lifetime of the Imams (a.s.) and even after that and we have not received any tradition quoted from the Infallibles (a.s.) about any support for this act, be it privately or publicly, this practice would, at the present time, give others a bad image of our school of thought. Therefore, there is no way that it can be considered permissible.

A whole host of rulings from the most emminent shia-scholars against self harm: http://tatbir.org/?page_id=98

With regards to insulting the companions, shia's love the loyal companions of Muhammed pbuh. Ofcourse, there are some we do not regard highly, but it is harram to revile and mock them.

Ayatollah Khamenei issued a fatwa, declared unlawful the insulting Prophet's wife Aisha, and any of the Sunni Islamic symbols.

Ayatollah Khamenei issued a fatwa, declared unlawful the insulting Prophet's wife Aisha, and any of the Sunni Islamic symbols.

Islamic World widely welcomed the fatwa, Rohama reported.

The leader of Islamic revolution in response to question announced: "insulting the symbols of the Sunni brothers, including the Prophet Muhammad's wife [Aisha] is forbidden. This includes the women of all prophets and especially the holy Prophet Muhammad ."

Source: Rohama
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just to ask, since I assume this'll be via Sharia law, if he's found guilty of molesting the girl, would the parents actions be looked upon in a more sympathetic light, or would they get what ever sentence you'd expect for a serious assault/grievous bodily harm?

Also i know there's that issue of witnesses at times, so does the girl have a low chance of being believed? As a women's testimony is worth less at times isn't it, or witnesses are needed or something?
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
This.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.82%
No (77)
21.1%
Not sure (66)
18.08%

Watched Threads