The Student Room Group

Student from the US studying Media and Public Relations

Hi!

I'm from California and I plan to start a Media and Public Relations MA course in the fall. I have offers from Leicester and Newcastle (and a few other places but those are by far my top choices.)

I guess I'm just reaching out to anyone who has advice on which school and accommodation to choose. I'll be turning 23 in November but I've never been abroad or lived on my own outside of university housing so I'll probably stick with housing through the uni. I would rather not be stuck with a bunch of 18-year-olds of course but at the same time I'm definitely not feeling like a 'mature' student, going out and having fun is a big part of this for me as well as my studies.

I would love to connect with anyone who is also choosing between Leicester and Newcastle, any other international students considering these schools or anyone considering one of these programs. Any advice from students who have already come from the US to the UK is also welcome.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Congrats to admission. Some unis offer housing for postgrad students, so you don't have to share with 18 year olds. There are also houseshare at uni properties or rental market. The uni will direct you with its platform. Housing stock quality varies, but a Newcastle friend told me that he lived in a newer dorm with own bathroom. He was very happy with his experience at Newcastle (geography BA), athletics, student union socials and classes. He reckons that the locals are friendlier compared to Birmingham or London. Newcastle is a mid sized city with vibrant student life and does well in student surveys. Can't be that bad if one of Prince Andrew's daughter studied in Newcastle. If Newcastle is good enough for the princess...

Does your MA course have practical training with professional body CIPR and is there a 'pathway option'?

Can't comment on Leicester.

The climate at both unis is colder than California with more rain. Good luck
Hi! I am also considering offers from Newcastle (Media and Journalism MA) Leicester and Leeds.
Any advice on the programs or unis would be greatly appreciated. x
Reply 3
Thank you Tcannon! I think I'm actually leaning towards Newcastle at the moment... regarding CIPR I know at least Newcastle is accredited. Haven't read anything about pathway options.
Original post by Tcannon
Congrats to admission. Some unis offer housing for postgrad students, so you don't have to share with 18 year olds. There are also houseshare at uni properties or rental market. The uni will direct you with its platform. Housing stock quality varies, but a Newcastle friend told me that he lived in a newer dorm with own bathroom. He was very happy with his experience at Newcastle (geography BA), athletics, student union socials and classes. He reckons that the locals are friendlier compared to Birmingham or London. Newcastle is a mid sized city with vibrant student life and does well in student surveys. Can't be that bad if one of Prince Andrew's daughter studied in Newcastle. If Newcastle is good enough for the princess...

Does your MA course have practical training with professional body CIPR and is there a 'pathway option'?

Can't comment on Leicester.

The climate at both unis is colder than California with more rain. Good luck
Reply 4
Hi Cassie! I actually saw one of your replies on another thread and wanted to get in touch. I'm leaning towards Newcastle at the moment but it changes every day! I really like all the pictures I have seen of Leicester and I feel like I have been able to get a better concept of the accommodation options there. Definitely drawn to Newcastle for the best nightlife reputation and although the rankings are all over the place, I have seen in more recent lists that they are better for media & comm.
Original post by Cassie1691
Hi! I am also considering offers from Newcastle (Media and Journalism MA) Leicester and Leeds.
Any advice on the programs or unis would be greatly appreciated. x
Reply 5
Some programme directors would connect you to current students of your course, so you have opps to pose queries with regard to content, support, life etc. Some courses have Facebook groups. Some even find a non UK student to get the international perspective for you. I think there is a general Leicester and Newcastle uni thread (populated mostly by undergrads) and you can get a feel of uni/city.

Newcastle also offers sth for history/archeology buffs with walk on Roman Hadrian Wall or trips to nearby Durham.
Original post by elisabethm13
Hi Cassie! I actually saw one of your replies on another thread and wanted to get in touch. I'm leaning towards Newcastle at the moment but it changes every day! I really like all the pictures I have seen of Leicester and I feel like I have been able to get a better concept of the accommodation options there. Definitely drawn to Newcastle for the best nightlife reputation and although the rankings are all over the place, I have seen in more recent lists that they are better for media & comm.

I know what you mean, I keep changing my mind as well! I think I prefer Leicester location wise-it's so much closer to London. But the course is too academic from what I've heard and that goes for most of their MA courses in media and comm. Newcastle's way up north and from what I've heard from friends it's beautiful and all but a bit isolated from the rest of the UK. Also, accommodation wise I've heard Newcastle isn't that great. As far as reputation goes they're both in the top 20, only difference is Newcastle's in the russell group. But I don't know how much difference that actually makes to be honest.
Have you applied to other unis as well? I'm having a really hard time deciding.
Reply 7
I know what you mean, I keep changing my mind as well! I think I prefer Leicester location wise-it's so much closer to London. But the course is too academic from what I've heard and that goes for most of their MA courses in media and comm. Newcastle's way up north and from what I've heard from friends it's beautiful and all but a bit isolated from the rest of the UK. Also, accommodation wise I've heard Newcastle isn't that great. As far as reputation goes they're both in the top 20, only difference is Newcastle's in the russell group. But I don't know how much difference that actually makes to be honest.
Have you applied to other unis as well? I'm having a really hard time deciding.

In theory I would think that only being an hour or so from London I would go all the time, but I'm kind of worried it is easier said than done! I also would like to visit Scotland and Newcastle is close so...I don't know! I also applied to/have offers from Cardiff and Brunel. I guess I will get in contact with students in the programs if possible, research the cities and apply to the international postgrad scholarships at each school and go from there. Are you from the UK?
Original post by elisabethm13
In theory I would think that only being an hour or so from London I would go all the time, but I'm kind of worried it is easier said than done! I also would like to visit Scotland and Newcastle is close so...I don't know! I also applied to/have offers from Cardiff and Brunel. I guess I will get in contact with students in the programs if possible, research the cities and apply to the international postgrad scholarships at each school and go from there. Are you from the UK?

Yeah, I guess it really depends on whether you want to be closer to London or Edinburgh-or if that's an important factor for you. Sounds like a good plan:smile: I've been doing a lot of research myself and I'm starting to feel like I need a break:P I see you've applied a bit all over, me too. As far as I know both Cardiff and Brunel have a pretty good rep in media and comm programs. And although ranking-wise Newcastle and Leicester are the best there's so many other factors to consider. No, I'm from Greece actually (finished my BA a couple of years ago) Where did you do your undergrad?
Reply 9
Yeah, I guess it really depends on whether you want to be closer to London or Edinburgh-or if that's an important factor for you. Sounds like a good plan:smile: I've been doing a lot of research myself and I'm starting to feel like I need a break:P I see you've applied a bit all over, me too. As far as I know both Cardiff and Brunel have a pretty good rep in media and comm programs. And although ranking-wise Newcastle and Leicester are the best there's so many other factors to consider. No, I'm from Greece actually (finished my BA a couple of years ago) Where did you do your undergrad?

I guess I need to figure out which location is more my style! I've never even been abroad before. I went to university not far from home, at Cal State Long Beach. What about you? I graduated a year ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending