The Student Room Group

Physics:on the move unit 4 june 2014 edexcel

Poll

How did you find the paper?

Hi all,

Couldn't find a thread for the unit 4 edexcel exam in June this year. If we could compare notes and such here that would be great as this unit is very tricky.

Edexcel Physics Spec Issue 5:http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA026741_GCE_Lin_Physics_Issue_5.pdf

Topics:
Further Mechanics
Electric and Magnetic Fields
Particle Physics

Useful Formula:
Momentum: p = mv
Ek of a non-relativistic particle:colone:k = p2/2m
Motion in a circle:
v = Ο‰β€Šr
T = 2Ο€/Ο‰β€Š F = ma = mv2/r
a = v2/r
a = rω2

Coulomb’s law: F = kQ1Q2/r2 where k = 1/4πΡ0
Electric field:
E = F/Q
E = kQ/r2
E = V/d
Capacitance: C = Q/V
Energy stored in capacitor: W = Β½ QV
Capacitor discharge: Q = Q0 eβˆ’t/RC
In a magnetic field:
F = BIl sin ΞΈ
F = Bqv sin ΞΈ
r = p/BQ
Faraday’s and Lenz’s Laws: Ξ΅ = βˆ’d(NΞ¦)/dt

Mass-energy: βˆ†E = c2βˆ†m
de Broglie wavelength: Ξ» = h/p

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm repeating this unit. :yy:

Didn't get as much as I expected.

Do you guys know whether the IAL edexcel paper is the same as the Edexcel's GCE one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HIV
I'm repeating this unit. :yy:

Didn't get as much as I expected.

Do you guys know whether the IAL edexcel paper is the same as the Edexcel's GCE one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, not the same. I am doing IAL :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Oki so where is everybody????
Even m giving this paper again!
How is everyone's revision going for this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by B-Stacks
How is everyone's revision going for this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

M just doing the student book.... Dont know wat else to do
Reply 6
There is a thing with this paper.... I'm repeating it too :frown:
Hopefully not a U this time.
Original post by Leil
There is a thing with this paper.... I'm repeating it too :frown:
Hopefully not a U this time.

A U is too terrible. What were your grades for AS Physics?
A lot of students suddenly crash at this paper, don't they? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by RoyalBlue7
A U is too terrible. What were your grades for AS Physics?
A lot of students suddenly crash at this paper, don't they? :s-smilie:

I got a B and C in the other physics papers. Unit 1 is just ugh.
Reply 9
anybody active on this thread need some help on a question :/
Original post by 13142vp
anybody active on this thread need some help on a question :/

I'll have a look at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by B-Stacks
I'll have a look at it

Posted from TSR Mobile

cool thanks
question 13 part (b)
see attached
Reply 12
Original post by 13142vp
cool thanks
question 13 part (b)
see attached

Do you have the mark scheme for this paper? If so it would be very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by fabkashi
Do you have the mark scheme for this paper? If so it would be very much appreciated :smile:

yes
they have two parts to the answer I don't get 1st part of whole part b
could you help me ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 13142vp
yes
they have two parts to the answer I don't 1st part of whole part b
could you help me ?

Firstly the first part.

In magnetic fields we have learnt of three rules - Fleming's left hand rule, right hand rule and right hand grip rule.

The right hand grip rule is used to find the direction of the magnetic field (whether clockwise or anticlockwise) when a current flows through a conductor or vice versa. It can be also uses to find the direction of the magnetic field around a solenoid when current flows through it and vice versa.

Fleming's left hand rule is for the MOTOR EFFECT. Here the thumb is in the direction of the force(F), the index/first finger in the direction of the magnetic field(B) and the middle finger in the direction of current. (I). This can be easily learnt as FBI. Remember in the motor effect a force is produced.

The right hand rule is for ELECTROMAGNETIC INDUCTION. Here it is not a force that is produced, by an induced current. The first/index finger is the same as for the left hand rule but the thumb is now in the direction of motion. Remember not to mix these two up.

So in this question they have asked something to do with direction. So what of the three would you use? Here it is clearly electromagnetic induction as a current is induced - so we use the right hand rule.

If you point your thumb in the direction of motion (out of the page), your first finger in the direction of the magnetic field (downwards) then you see that the induced current flows from left to right. So that means electrons (electron flow is always the opposite of the direction of the current) flows from right to left. As a result the right side becomes positive!

Hope you understand it now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Firstly the first part.

In magnetic fields we have learnt of three rules - Fleming's left hand rule, right hand rule and right hand grip rule.

The right hand grip rule is used to find the direction of the magnetic field (whether clockwise or anticlockwise) when a current flows through a conductor or vice versa. It can be also uses to find the direction of the magnetic field around a solenoid when current flows through it and vice versa.

Fleming's left hand rule is for the MOTOR EFFECT. Here the thumb is in the direction of the force(F), the index/first finger in the direction of the magnetic field(B) and the middle finger in the direction of current. (I). This can be easily learnt as FBI. Remember in the motor effect a force is produced.

The right hand rule is for ELECTROMAGNETIC INDUCTION. Here it is not a force that is produced, by an induced current. The first/index finger is the same as for the left hand rule but the thumb is now in the direction of motion. Remember not to mix these two up.

So in this question they have asked something to do with direction. So what of the three would you use? Here it is clearly electromagnetic induction as a current is induced - so we use the right hand rule.

If you point your thumb in the direction of motion (out of the page), your first finger in the direction of the magnetic field (downwards) then you see that the induced current flows from left to right. So that means electrons (electron flow is always the opposite of the direction of the current) flows from right to left. As a result the right side becomes positive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANKYOU so much :smile:

for part bi what i don't understand is that for motor effect you have a current carrying conductor in magnetic field and experiences a force given by fleming's LH rule but here the electrons are free to flow so how does the wing tips become charged? do electrons become pushed to one side due to motor effect so that it leaves each wing tip oppositely charged? do we use fleming's LH rule :/
Original post by 13142vp
THANKYOU so much :smile:

for part bi what i don't understand is that for motor effect you have a current carrying conductor in magnetic field and experiences a force given by fleming's LH rule but here the electrons are free to flow so how does the wing tips become charged? do electrons become pushed to one side due to motor effect so that it leaves each wing tip oppositely charged? do we use fleming's LH rule :/

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2695903

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Reply 18
Firstly the first part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

could u help me with this question now, it involves the right hand rule..
Q: label the hub and the rim as either positive or negative.
Original post by Bimbo97
could u help me with this question now, it involves the right hand rule..
Q: label the hub and the rim as either positive or negative.

The direction of the magnetic field is into the page. So your first finger should be pointing towards it/into the page.

How if you place it anywhere on the wheel and point your thumb towards the direction of motion you'll see that anywhere on the wheel the current flow is outwards from the hub to the rim. So the electron are flowing into the hub from the rim. From this its clear that the hub is gradually being negative charged and the rim positively charged.

I'm sure the next question would be why at some point the current decreases and will be no more. This is because the electric field would oppose any further movement of electrons :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending