The Student Room Group

how stressful is finals compared to a real job?

I'm feeling weak and beta (yes I said it) for getting stressed out over these I should be able to get a first without losing a wink of sleep. Also I imagine this is only a fraction of actual job stress but could be wrong. Finally I have read an article saying that men with high stress are less attractive. It's all pointing to me being lower down the food chain.
I have found my job less stressful than uni personally - I generally have less projects to do at once (although more work), and also deadlines which are closer, so less easy to put work off.
Reply 2
I found the worst stresses of uni significantly more stressful than I find the worst stresses of my job. To be honest I found the worst stresses of A levels more stressful as well. But it might depend on the job.
I haven't started my job yet, but I'm guessing it would a different kind of stress. With finals, there is a lot of pressure to do well on particular exams, so you can get a grade good enough to be eligilble for most jobs. When you're working, you could be working on a lot of different important projects at the same time- so I guess this could be compared with coursework related stress, but obviously there would be more pressure at work.
A job is more steadily trudging, even when work comes in that has to turned round fast it's usually maybe a week or so from in to deadline. Exams are very different in that you have so long of working towards them and then an incredibly intense few hours. Also it's a bit odd in that the only person who the result affects is you, not the rest of a team and the customer/client.

In short it is at least as stressful, probably more.
Reply 5
Original post by rmhumphries
I have found my job less stressful than uni personally - I generally have less projects to do at once (although more work), and also deadlines which are closer, so less easy to put work off.

Agreed.

Infact I found secondary school to be even more stressful than uni.
Reply 6
So it isn't weak willed.of.me to find university finals.difficult?
Original post by Riku
So it isn't weak willed.of.me to find university finals.difficult?

No, not really. I imagine that in several years, I will find a job harder, but entry level jobs are easier in many ways in most fields.
I hope a job is nowhere near as stressful as uni. I've coped really really badly with the stresses of uni over the past 2 years, hating pretty much every minute of it. Made me lose loads of weight, been depressed, woke up panicking in the middle of the night, left me feeling permanently knackered etc. If a real job is like this, well, I'd prefer to be on benefits for the rest of my life.
Reply 9
depends on the job I suppose :tongue: and everybody finds exams stressful, especially finals. Last year I felt so stressed before an exam I actually threw up xD
Reply 10
They are both stressful depending on the uni and job in question.
Original post by lucaf
depends on the job I suppose :tongue: and everybody finds exams stressful, especially finals. Last year I felt so stressed before an exam I actually threw up xD
Without attempting to hijack this thread, is it normal to feel the stress of exams throughout the whole year at uni? For me, it feels like you're under this constant, over-bearing pressure every single day. You're assessed throughout the year so it feels like you can never relax. I've always been worried about falling behind and no one gives a damn if you fall behind like they do at school. You don't get any indication of how you're doing, how far you're progressing, how far you are behind and this adds to the stress. You're all on your own.
Original post by Riku
I'm feeling weak and beta (yes I said it) for getting stressed out over these I should be able to get a first without losing a wink of sleep. Also I imagine this is only a fraction of actual job stress but could be wrong. Finally I have read an article saying that men with high stress are less attractive. It's all pointing to me being lower down the food chain.

Depends on the job, and on the degree. Most jobs that you would be doing as a graduate are not as intense as finals revision. The difference is that a job isn't meant to be a transient phase of a couple of months: it has a significant effect on quality of life. Outside elite professions, you won't find anything which comes close.

Senior roles in big organisations are presumably very stressful, but it's probably more because responsibility rests on you, rather than your work being comparably intense or difficult.

My reference point is a law degree. There probably are degrees that are less stressful than most jobs.
Reply 13
Original post by Bassetts
Without attempting to hijack this thread, is it normal to feel the stress of exams throughout the whole year at uni? For me, it feels like you're under this constant, over-bearing pressure every single day. You're assessed throughout the year so it feels like you can never relax. I've always been worried about falling behind and no one gives a damn if you fall behind like they do at school. You don't get any indication of how you're doing, how far you're progressing, how far you are behind and this adds to the stress. You're all on your own.

well on my course we don't get that much assessed work outside of exam season so it probably isn't as bad for us, but it does sound like you are far more stressed than you should be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending