Computer Science BSc at University of Bath.

Watch
G.Burslem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just wanted to ask a couple of things to anyone who studies computer science at University and especially at Bath. I was wondering roughly what percentage of the course is taught with you at a computer screen and what percentage is done through general theory? How much time do you spend analysing/learning code and how much do you spend learning the structure of a computer etc? I ask this because at A-Level we have studied a lot of theory compared to actually programming, which is my main interest. So I wanted to know if it is similar at Uni? Thanks in advance.
Dr Alcoholic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by G.Burslem)
Just wanted to ask a couple of things to anyone who studies computer science at University and especially at Bath. I was wondering roughly what percentage of the course is taught with you at a computer screen and what percentage is done through general theory? How much time do you spend analysing/learning code and how much do you spend learning the structure of a computer etc? I ask this because at A-Level we have studied a lot of theory compared to actually programming, which is my main interest. So I wanted to know if it is similar at Uni? Thanks in advance.

Have a look at the modules on the program structure.

I know you will do a lot of programming from assembly and machine code to high level languages. You will also do a lot of how computers and electronics works, lot's of maths etc. Most of the teaching is theory based but there will be a lot of time in labs to practice the theory through tutorials and lab work/course work.

I actually don't study compsci I do eee so I'm basing this on the way we were taught the compsci part of our course, but I would imagine the compsci department is fairly similar in that respect.
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We don't have any teaching with computers really, there are labs but that's to reinforce stuff you have learned in lectures. In first year, there are seven modules.

Software Engineering: 10% of first year mark. Very theoretical, lots of long documents and specifications and software lifecycle and data protection stuff. The only programming that happens is as part of a group software project and it's not marked.

Programming I: 10% of first year mark. Half coursework, which is all programming stuff, and half exam, some of which will be writing code. Mostly Python, some Java.

Programming II: 10% of first year mark. Half coursework, which is all programming stuff again but harder, and half exam (no code though.) 100% Java, though you do learn a tiny bit of Lisp without having to actually use it.

Systems Architecture I: 5% of first year mark. Think electronics. Harvard/von Neumann, processors, memory I/O, Karnaugh maps, etc. Quite low-level but nothing practical, it's all theory. 30% coursework that is mostly simplifying boolean expressions for 5 weeks.

Systems Architecture II: 5% of first year mark. Operating systems and networking mostly, stuff like memory management, scheduling, swapping, using tools like traceroute to learn about topologies. All theoretical again. 30% coursework including an essay (the only essay we have all year.)

Discrete Maths: 5% of first year mark. Set theory and graphs, boolean algebra, predicate logic, some proof, primes and basic cryptography. All theoretical again, with 25% coursework in the form of weekly problem sheets.

Analytical Maths: 5% of first year mark. Rational/real/complex numbers etc, matrices and vectors, some calculus (mostly all inside the scope of A2 maths, some A2 further maths). 25% coursework as above.

tl;dr - yes, there is a lot of theory, but the practical becomes so much easier when you understand the theory that the balance feels fine.
G.Burslem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Couldn't of asked for a better reply, thank you.

(Original post by Damask-)
We don't have any teaching with computers really, there are labs but that's to reinforce stuff you have learned in lectures. In first year, there are seven modules.

Software Engineering: 10% of first year mark. Very theoretical, lots of long documents and specifications and software lifecycle and data protection stuff. The only programming that happens is as part of a group software project and it's not marked.

Programming I: 10% of first year mark. Half coursework, which is all programming stuff, and half exam, some of which will be writing code. Mostly Python, some Java.

Programming II: 10% of first year mark. Half coursework, which is all programming stuff again but harder, and half exam (no code though.) 100% Java, though you do learn a tiny bit of Lisp without having to actually use it.

Systems Architecture I: 5% of first year mark. Think electronics. Harvard/von Neumann, processors, memory I/O, Karnaugh maps, etc. Quite low-level but nothing practical, it's all theory. 30% coursework that is mostly simplifying boolean expressions for 5 weeks.

Systems Architecture II: 5% of first year mark. Operating systems and networking mostly, stuff like memory management, scheduling, swapping, using tools like traceroute to learn about topologies. All theoretical again. 30% coursework including an essay (the only essay we have all year.)

Discrete Maths: 5% of first year mark. Set theory and graphs, boolean algebra, predicate logic, some proof, primes and basic cryptography. All theoretical again, with 25% coursework in the form of weekly problem sheets.

Analytical Maths: 5% of first year mark. Rational/real/complex numbers etc, matrices and vectors, some calculus (mostly all inside the scope of A2 maths, some A2 further maths). 25% coursework as above.

tl;dr - yes, there is a lot of theory, but the practical becomes so much easier when you understand the theory that the balance feels fine.
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Couldn't of asked for a better reply, thank you.
Just realised I accidentally halved all the percentages! But you're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads