Saudi Arabia calls for criticism of Islam to be outlawed in Norway

Watch
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Saudi Arabia has criticised Norway's human rights record, accusing the country of failing to protect its Muslim citizens and not doing enough to counter criticism of the prophet Mohammed.

The gulf state called for all criticism of religion and of prophet Mohammed to be made illegal in Norway. It also expressed concern at “increasing cases of domestic violence, rape crimes and inequality in riches” and noted a continuation of hate crimes against Muslims in the country.
The Scandinavian nation came under scrutiny during the United Nations' Universal Periodic Review, in which 14 States are scheduled to have their human rights records examined.
Russia meanwhile called for Norway to clamp down on expressions of religious intolerance and and criticised the country’s child welfare system. They also recommended that Norway improve its correctional facilities for those applying for asylum status.
Norwegian Foreign Minister Børge Brende was in Geneva to hear the concerns from 91 other countries. He told Norway's NTB newswire prior to the hearing: “It is a paradox that countries which do not support fundamental human rights have influence on the council, but that is the United Nations,” reported The Local.
Human Rights Watch last report noted that in 2012 Saudi Arabia "stepped up arrests and trials of peaceful dissidents, and responded with force to demonstrations by citizens."
It continued "Authorities continue to suppress or fail to protect the rights of 9 million Saudi women and girls and 9 million foreign workers. As in past years, thousands of people have received unfair trials or been subject to arbitrary detention. The year has seen trials against half-a-dozen human rights defenders and several others for their peaceful expression or assembly demanding political and human rights reforms."

Sourced : The Independent
Thoughts and opinions?

I think they should take a peek at their own first.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Firstly how does barring all criticism of religion achieve any progress for human rights, and secondly Saudi Arabia is talking about wealth inequality and domestic violence which they only made illegal a year ago.....

I'd like to assume this was a joke but I imagine their serious
Green Marble
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Saudi Arabia is a savage, backwards, primitive country. Norway is a socially advanced, modern utopia compared to the saudi
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh okay, so it's a not real criticism, it's just demanding policies favoring Muslims. I see they don't request that any religious criticism is illegal, just criticizing Islam. Soz Saudi, that's not democracy, we calls that theocracy/****** up dystopia.

Also lol at increased domestic violence. Yeah that's because people can report that kind of thing in Norway, when your wife or daughters are but your property it doesn't matter what you do with them, treat them as lesser beings...imprison them against their will etc, eh king Abdullah?

Man seriously what is this, are they in a competition to out troll North Korea? The whole bad hair day thing gave NK a leg up, so Saudi needs to start criticizing beacons of the civilized world to show Kimmy Jong Un they're the real troll kings. At least when Kimmy says something it's usually so ridiculous it's sort of amusing.
Radicalathiest
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Firstly how does barring all criticism of religion achieve any progress for human rights,

because some people think a human right is not to have their religion criticized and in some countries will even go as far as killing those who do.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, this is just too much.
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this legitimate? Sounds like something North Korea would write.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
are ladies allowed to drive in Norway ? anyone know ?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
are ladies allowed to drive in Norway ? anyone know ?
Or ride a push bike?
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I only hope our politicians have the balls to deliver an appropriate response to this - "Go **** yourselves".
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Norway does human rights far better than most countries.

Not sure about the predilection for fermented fish though. Weirdos.
Zainabahlulbayt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Failing to protect muslim citizens? In saudi arabia, preaching as a shia-muslim can get you arrested , your home raided, you jailed.

In saudi arabia, shia muslims aren't even allowed to be part of the parliament.

They have a disgraceful human rights record againt Women, shiite muslims, essentially everyone but wahhabis/western US forces whom they obey as masters.

Spoiler:
Show

Beware of the minority spreading lies about shiite muslims. Shia muslims all believe. Many people on tsr have started to call me an apostate/insult my beliefs.

1. There is no God but Allah swt, and only him do we ultimately rely on. He can never be seen, has no 'form' or 'confine' because it is an injustice to the almighty to say he has a form, can be seen, moves.
2. That Muhammed peace and blessings be upon him, is the greatest man and the seal of the prophets pbuh.
3. No Imam has 'complete knowledge of the unseen', , this is kufr. Furthermore, we believe the Imams a.s are slaves of Allah swt, and have no power nor knowledge independent of what Allah swt permits them to have. The final Imam is the Mahdi a.s.
4. That sunni's are our MUSLIM brothers and sisters.
5. We do not class Abubakr, Umar, nor Uthman among the great companions, but it is FORBIDDEN to abuse them in shia islam. We merely state places where we feel we disagreed with their actions, and our view on such matters. We also LOVE the Sahabah, the loyal ones, the matyr's of badr, and many many more, ranging from Ibn Abbas (r.a), to Hazrat Hamza(r.a) to Bilal (r.a) to Abudhar (r.a)..(i could keep on going)
6. We follow the Sunnah of Muhammed pbuh, as preserved by the ahlulbayt a.s and the pious companions.
7. Only a minority of shias self-flagetllate. This is considered impermissible by a vast number of our most emminent scholars.
8. Be careful when you find anyone quoting Al-Kafi , we do not consider every hadith sahih or hasan, many could be 'daef'. We use the sciences of hadith on each and every one. When you count all the hadiths, you still get to over as many sahih hadiths as Bukhari.
9. We are split into many many 'sects'. This is not accurate. There are around 250,000,000 shia's and 90% of them are 'twelvers' otherwise known as 'jafaris'. Shia's are in a sizeable minority because they and the ahlulbayt a.s have been presecuted and opressed. In saudi arabia, bahrain, indonesia, malaysia etc, shia's are either forbidden to preach , practise, or take part in government..
10. A big myth spread is that sunni's are oppressed in Iran. Sunni's actually have 20 representatives in iranian parliament and are permitted to build mosques. This is in contrast to saudi arabia, malaysia, indonesia, bahrain, where they can not participate in government, in many work-areas, nor preach their faith.

Grand Ayatullah Khamenei

Ayatullah Khamenei, in his position as the Hakim Al-Shari’i has given a Hukm forbidding blood flagellation. A hukm is binding on all Muslims, unlike a fatwa.

Question 1450:
Is hitting oneself with swords halal if it is done in secret? Or is your fatwa in this regard universal?

Answer:
In addition to the fact that it is not held in the common view as manifestations of mourning and grief and it has no precedent at the lifetime of the Imams (a.s.) and even after that and we have not received any tradition quoted from the Infallibles (a.s.) about any support for this act, be it privately or publicly, this practice would, at the present time, give others a bad image of our school of thought. Therefore, there is no way that it can be considered permissible.

A whole host of rulings from the most emminent shia-scholars against self harm: http://tatbir.org/?page_id=98

With regards to insulting the companions, shia's love the loyal companions of Muhammed pbuh. Ofcourse, there are some we do not regard highly, but it is harram to revile and mock them.

Ayatollah Khamenei issued a fatwa, declared unlawful the insulting Prophet's wife Aisha, and any of the Sunni Islamic symbols.

Ayatollah Khamenei issued a fatwa, declared unlawful the insulting Prophet's wife Aisha, and any of the Sunni Islamic symbols.

Islamic World widely welcomed the fatwa, Rohama reported.

The leader of Islamic revolution in response to question announced: "insulting the symbols of the Sunni brothers, including the Prophet Muhammad's wife [Aisha] is forbidden. This includes the women of all prophets and especially the holy Prophet Muhammad ."

Source: Rohama
Zainabahlulbayt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
I only hope our politicians have the balls to deliver an appropriate response to this - "Go **** yourselves".
They don't. The US relies on saudi arabian petro dollars.
Zainabahlulbayt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Firstly how does barring all criticism of religion achieve any progress for human rights, and secondly Saudi Arabia is talking about wealth inequality and domestic violence which they only made illegal a year ago.....

This. The vast human rights abuses that SAUDI arabia have towards shia muslims and women is disgusting.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zainabahlulbayt)
They don't. The US relies on saudi arabian petro dollars.
And when it runs out of oil it will descend into back into a hell hole.
Zainabahlulbayt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Zainabahlulbayt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
And when it runs out of oil it will descend into back into a hell hole.
May God bring an end to the saudi dictator ship.
Xyloid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is hilarious coming from Saudi Arabia.

It's like KFC attacking Pizza Express for serving unhealthy food.
Zainabahlulbayt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Xyloid)
This is hilarious coming from Saudi Arabia.

It's like KFC attacking Pizza Express for serving unhealthy food.
LOL'D

So glad we are all united against this dictator regime.

Now to tell cameron to STOP saudi being a 'UK' Ally
VeniViciVidi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)

Well, of course. Human rights are very much a Western enlightened concept dating back to the 17th century and universal human rights really came to the stage with its codification in the United Nations Charter. Critically, however, human rights are an abstract concept - like justice. It is difficult to quantify human rights and set them into an objective framework when human rights are an inherently artificial construct and subject to criticism.

Whilst I agree with the Western flavour of human rights, obviously religious dogmatic regimes will have their own flavour of human rights. It's the reason you have an Islamic-inspired Human Rights Council in the Gulf states.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (245)
60.95%
No (82)
20.4%
Not sure (75)
18.66%

Watched Threads