Jose Mourinho has failed this season Watch

Endless Blue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In Mou's first year back at the Bridge, Chelsea are on the verge of a trophy-less season and 3rd place finish. This is on the back of spending in excess of £65m over the summer, with unquestioned support from the fans and board and whilst playing arguably the least entertaining football in the league along the way.

Spoiler:
Show
They also recently lost 2-1 at 'Fortress Stamford' to season-long relegation candidates, Sunderland. :teehee:

Therefore, in relative terms, it is difficult to see how Mourinho hasn't failed as Chelsea manager this season. Anyone else probably would probably get the sack this summer.

Discuss.
Nickini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
CL semis, in the title race until what looks to be the last day, and 16/18 points from the top 4.

The only standards by which that is a failure is Mourinho's own.
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He's failed for his own standards perhaps. It's still been a solid season though.
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He definitely failed this season, just not as bad as he failed last season
Vae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nickini)
CL semis, in the title race until what looks to be the last day, and 16/18 points from the top 4.

...and the standards by which many people on here deemed Guardiola to be deserving a sack and his first season at Bayern as failure yesterday?
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Endless Blue)
This is on the back of spending in excess of £65m over the summer
You forgot another £50m in January.

Sorry, but spending £110m to finish 3rd in the league is failure. Plain and simple.
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)

Sorry, but spending £110m to finish 3rd in the league is failure. Plain and simple.
Net spend was actually around £45m this season fyi
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)

If spending £110m to finish 3rd in the league is a failure, what is spending £110m to finish 6th?
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
If spending £110m to finish 3rd in the league is a failure, what is spending £110m to finish 6th?
Referring to Spurs or United? Ours was ''only'' £83m, but still.
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)

Very true, my bad. Also, this squad is easily good enough to win the league or at the very minimum a trophy. And here I thought Mou 'always got it right in the big games'. :rolleyes: In a similar parallel I'd say Pellegrini had failed this season but City already have a trophy and have to be the favourites to win the league as well.

(Original post by Nickini)

(Original post by Isometrix)
He's failed for his own standards perhaps. It's still been a solid season though.
I still don't see how he hasn't failed relative to the funds, other resources and support he has had. It's totally his own fault that he didn't buy a better striker in the summer or even in January. Selling Mata was also a bad idea.
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It his fault for signing every striker in the world without recalling Lukaku.
Nickini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by qua)
...and the standards by which many people on here deemed Guardiola to be deserving a sack yesterday and his first season at Bayern as a failure?
People are incredibly fickle, and the expectations of two of the best managers in the world will always be high, often unrealistically so.

Neither of them has failed, although I wouldn't say either of them has succeeded either.
Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Referring to Spurs or United? Ours was ''only'' £83m, but still.
Utd aren't finish sixth, though. I'm talking about Spuds.
Badshah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He has done rather well with a team with crappy strikers. Once he buys a goal scoring striker, Chelsea will start winning trophies from next season.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
They mainly spent the money earned from selling one of the best players in the world who won them a ridiculous amount of points last season. Unfair comparison.
trrr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope, I never thought we would win anything this season.
Nickini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I still don't see how he hasn't failed relative to the funds, other resources and support he has had. It's totally his own fault that he didn't buy a better striker in the summer or even in January. Selling Mata was also a bad idea.
I agree he should probably have done better, and I wouldn't say his season has been a success, but as I said, the only standards by which he's failed are his own. Had Chelsea stuck with Benitez e.g. and had exactly the same season would people be calling it a failure?
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Difficult question. Viewed in isolation, a trophy-less season is a failure for a club like Chelsea and a manager like Mourinho, although it's far from a disaster.

But if Chelsea go on to win loads of trophies in the next 2 years, this will be viewed as the year Mourinho tinkered with the team and prepared his master-plan.

Still, this looks to be his second consecutive trophy-less season (Spanish Super Cup notwithstanding) so he'll need a very strong showing next year to maintain his prestige.
Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
They mainly spent the money earned from selling one of the best players in the world who won them a ridiculous amount of points last season. Unfair comparison.
Atletico Madrid's team costs significantly less than £110m and they're 1st in La Liga and just ****** Chelsea 3-1 at the Bridge - bear in mind, they've had to sell the likes of Forlan, Aguero and Falcao.

It's a fine comparison, but for some reason the Spuds apologists still defend the overrated and useless summer signings that have been very fortunate this season considering the amount of silly 1-0's they've scraped through.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Therefore, in relative terms, it is difficult to see how Mourinho hasn't failed as Chelsea manager this season. Anyone else probably would probably get the sack this summer.
But sadly for the rest of the league, Jose will still be there next year which means Chelsea will be a serious threat again. And lets be honest, its fun to **** him off but United, Arsenal or Spurs fans would be well chuffed if they heard Jose was coming to be their manager next season.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (92)
50%
No (92)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise