The Student Room Group

Do you study with music?

Its coming to that time of year again unfortunately! and im wondering if im alone with revising with music playing in the background.
No it's too distracting for me I like to have context cues by revising in silence, as the exam room will be like that.
When I'm reading notes I usually do it in silence and then I "treat myself" :rolleyes: by playing music when doing past papers and questions.
When I'm learning no music when I'm doing questions I have my music on and I have it loud - keeps me awake :smile:
Original post by Alex2003
Its coming to that time of year again unfortunately! and im wondering if im alone with revising with music playing in the background.

I could never do that.
If i listened to music i liked, id just sing along after a while, so id get no revision done.
But if i listened to any other music, it would just get annoying after so long.
Reply 5
No music and earplugs always, can't be having any distractions :tongue:
When I'm physically doing work yes but when I'm revising nope :smile:
Always, it really helps (as long as it's stuff with no vocals, vocals distract me unless it's maths.)

My favourites for working are ambient songs and occasionally chillstep (mainly mixes so I don't have to worry about changing the song.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I nearly always revise with music in. I find that I associate an album with a topic and then in the exam I like listen to songs from the album and it helps me recall information. Also isolates myself from the rest of the world because silence doesn't exist, I find it fairly useful!
Yup. No vocals or I try and sing along :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Unfortunately yeah, pretty much all the time :s-smilie: except when I'm revising for Literature or something; cant risk memorising lyrics instead of quotes :proud: It really does help when doing papers though, particularly maths
Reply 11
It depends on the type of study. If I'm reading something like a textbook, I'll make sure I have some white noise in the background (like a desk fan) but no music. But if it's an activity like past papers, practise questions, etc. then I'll always use music, I find myself being more distracted by the absence of noise than the presence of it, I really hate silence.

Ambient music definitely works well though, Oxygéne (a seventies new age album) became my revision piece of choice last year. It's a continuous forty minute mix of pure analogue synth goodness :teeth: It sounds like you're floating through space or the deep ocean... but it's soothing and that makes it great for revision in my opinion.
Reply 12
Nope, too distracting. Complete silence for me.
Reply 13
Yes, full on music during any type of studying or revision. Makes it a bit more bearable.
When making notes and doing papers

but when learning the stuff, no.
Reply 15
Original post by Mr...
I do it the other way round

Though instead of reading, i listen when i'm writing notes...

sometimes when i read, i get a bit bored, so i do listen.

but defo not for when doing past papers...need to think and be in the zone :P

I tend to listen to instrumentals though...modern ones though (not too upbeat but decent mellow kind of)...feel like going to bed by listening to the ones up on youtube lool!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending