Do you study with music?

Watch
Alex2003
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Its coming to that time of year again unfortunately! and im wondering if im alone with revising with music playing in the background.

und3niable_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No it's too distracting for me I like to have context cues by revising in silence, as the exam room will be like that.
blossomx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I'm reading notes I usually do it in silence and then I "treat myself" :rolleyes: by playing music when doing past papers and questions.
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I'm learning no music when I'm doing questions I have my music on and I have it loud - keeps me awake
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
When I'm reading notes I usually do it in silence and then I "treat myself" :rolleyes: by playing music when doing past papers and questions.
I do it the other way round
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alex2003)
Its coming to that time of year again unfortunately! and im wondering if im alone with revising with music playing in the background.
I could never do that.
If i listened to music i liked, id just sing along after a while, so id get no revision done.
But if i listened to any other music, it would just get annoying after so long.
JamesM96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No music and earplugs always, can't be having any distractions
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I'm physically doing work yes but when I'm revising nope
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Always, it really helps (as long as it's stuff with no vocals, vocals distract me unless it's maths.)

My favourites for working are ambient songs and occasionally chillstep (mainly mixes so I don't have to worry about changing the song.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1149337
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I nearly always revise with music in. I find that I associate an album with a topic and then in the exam I like listen to songs from the album and it helps me recall information. Also isolates myself from the rest of the world because silence doesn't exist, I find it fairly useful!
ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yup. No vocals or I try and sing along :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Navo D.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unfortunately yeah, pretty much all the time except when I'm revising for Literature or something; cant risk memorising lyrics instead of quotes :proud: It really does help when doing papers though, particularly maths
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on the type of study. If I'm reading something like a textbook, I'll make sure I have some white noise in the background (like a desk fan) but no music. But if it's an activity like past papers, practise questions, etc. then I'll always use music, I find myself being more distracted by the absence of noise than the presence of it, I really hate silence.

Ambient music definitely works well though, Oxygéne (a seventies new age album) became my revision piece of choice last year. It's a continuous forty minute mix of pure analogue synth goodness :teeth: It sounds like you're floating through space or the deep ocean... but it's soothing and that makes it great for revision in my opinion.
Revel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope, too distracting. Complete silence for me.
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, full on music during any type of studying or revision. Makes it a bit more bearable.
niceguy95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When making notes and doing papers

but when learning the stuff, no.
moey3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr...)
I do it the other way round
Though instead of reading, i listen when i'm writing notes...

sometimes when i read, i get a bit bored, so i do listen.

but defo not for when doing past papers...need to think and be in the zone :P

I tend to listen to instrumentals though...modern ones though (not too upbeat but decent mellow kind of)...feel like going to bed by listening to the ones up on youtube lool!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads