Need help with economics unit 1 past paper?

Watch
Bustamove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, i'm doing the Edexcel jan 2010 economics unit 1 past paper, can somebody explain question 2 to me? thanks

link to paper:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20100113.pdf
L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bustamove)
Hi, i'm doing the Edexcel jan 2010 economics unit 1 past paper, can somebody explain question 2 to me? thanks

link to paper:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20100113.pdf
From the table,

a) Is the opportunity cost constant? For example, does Manufactured Goods' output go down by a constant amount each time Agricultural Goods' output goes up by 10 million?
d) Is it possible to produce 60 million of both simultaneously using all resources available?

I think that is 2 eliminated
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Etudiant)
From the table,

a) Is the opportunity cost constant? For example, does Manufactured Goods' output go down by a constant amount each time Agricultural Goods' output goes up by 10 million?
d) Is it possible to produce 60 million of both simultaneously using all resources available?

I think that is 2 eliminated
It's C isn't it?
I know this probably sounds stupid, (my brain is probably not working), but when it says "opportunity cost of producing agricultural goods increases, does it mean it's making more agricultural goods instead of manifactured? or does it mean less?

I'm doing a econ unit 1 retake, but i don't have a teacher, and i have forgotten how to answer these questions!!! and i think i'm stressing out....
help?
L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bustamove)
It's C isn't it?
I know this probably sounds stupid, (my brain is probably not working), but when it says "opportunity cost of producing agricultural goods increases, does it mean it's making more agricultural goods instead of manifactured? or does it mean less?

I'm doing a econ unit 1 retake, but i don't have a teacher, and i have forgotten how to answer these questions!!! and i think i'm stressing out....
help?
Check out my topic here. It is for a different exam board to yours but covers the same topics. EconDal covers the whole of Unit 1 in about 3 hours. Isn't there a mark scheme for this? In terms of the answer I am not completely sure, sorry.
Bustamove
Rep:
?
thank you
JCalexander
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In case you still need this.

The answer is C.

**then you define**

Opportunity cost is the cost if any choice in terms of the next best alternative foregone.

**next you explain/apply***

The answer is C because the higher quantity of agricultural goods you produce the bigger the gap between the manufactured goods suggesting there is a bigger opportunity cost. For example the opportunity cost of producing 10 million agricultural goods is 88 million manufactured goods whereas the opportunity cost for producing 80 million agricultural goods in 18 million manufactured goods.

**this would probably get you the 4 marks but just to be sure eliminate a wrong answer***

D isn't the answer because if you produce 60 million units of agricultural goods you can only produce 48 million units if manufactured goods.

Hope this helped. If I made any mistakes I'm sorry but it's getting a bit sleep deprived!!
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by joecoulburn)
In case you still need this.

The answer is C.

**then you define**

Opportunity cost is the cost if any choice in terms of the next best alternative foregone.

**next you explain/apply***

The answer is C because the higher quantity of agricultural goods you produce the bigger the gap between the manufactured goods suggesting there is a bigger opportunity cost. For example the opportunity cost of producing 10 million agricultural goods is 88 million manufactured goods whereas the opportunity cost for producing 80 million agricultural goods in 18 million manufactured goods.

**this would probably get you the 4 marks but just to be sure eliminate a wrong answer***

D isn't the answer because if you produce 60 million units of agricultural goods you can only produce 48 million units if manufactured goods.

Hope this helped. If I made any mistakes I'm sorry but it's getting a bit sleep deprived!!
That was a perfect answer, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (59)
29.06%
No (144)
70.94%

Watched Threads