The Student Room Group

GCSE retakes, acceptable for med school entry?

Hey everyone,

Next year I will be in Year 13 and I am planning to resit Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English GCSEs.

I have C's in: History, English, Maths, Religious Studies, I.T., DiDA
I have an A in Film Studies
I have a B in Photography.
I have a D in Double Science (I didn't think I would need it)

If I am determined and mange to get all A's in these 5 subjects that will mean I have 6 As.

However would the unis/med schools accept the retakes from next year?

I would go onto study A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

I'm not currently studying anything.

Thanks,
Ben
It's something that varies per uni. Edinburgh, for example, definitely wouldn't consider you. Are you taking a whole year out just to do GCSEs again? That certainly wouldn't count in your favour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
AFAIK, only Exeter considers GCSE resits, unless there were mitigating circumstances.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It's something that varies per uni. Edinburgh, for example, definitely wouldn't consider you. Are you taking a whole year out just to do GCSEs again? That certainly wouldn't count in your favour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the whole year.
For now just focus on doing the retakes and getting the grades and then see where you can apply.
You may be very limited, but until you get the results, theres no point working by the what if principle.
Original post by MedMed12
For now just focus on doing the retakes and getting the grades and then see where you can apply.
You may be very limited, but until you get the results, theres no point working by the what if principle.

What courses could I do to get into something like biochemistry or something along those lines, would it still be better for me to retake next year?
If you have D's in Science, is Medicine really a course you should be aiming for? What grades did you get at AS level?
Original post by llamaspoon
If you have D's in Science, is Medicine really a course you should be aiming for? What grades did you get at AS level?

I've not started AS Level yet. I'm not doing anything but I am in year 12. Next year I would do GCSEs then A-Levels the 2 years after that.

My other option is a Science or Health & Social Care BTEC next year with a science retake.
Original post by nightwatcher805
I've not started AS Level yet. I'm not doing anything but I am in year 12. Next year I would do GCSEs then A-Levels the 2 years after that.

My other option is a Science or Health & Social Care BTEC next year with a science retake.

But if you're not doing anything, then you aren't in year 12. Anyway, if you want to go into medicine, don't do a BTEC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending