WJEC Eng Lit LT1 exam anyone?

Watch this thread
Rororoda
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Not sure if many other people are doing this exam in a couple of weeks from now. Just wondering if there is, how people tend to plan their essays and structure it?

Or if anyone wants to share tips or techniques?
basmaay
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Hiya! I'm retaking lt1 Hows revision going?
What texts are you studying? I'm doing Seamus Heaney (core) and Owen sheers (partner) for section 1 and Dancing at Lughnasa for section 2

What I'm struggling with the most is structure . I did quite well on LT2 and LT3 but thats because I'm able to constantly rearrange my sentences and etc, but in an timed essay i cant do that uggh. Do you have any tips? lol x
basmaay
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi x i realise you may not be doing the same texts as me. But do wjec ever mention a poem from the partner collection that they want you to mention in your essay. Or they only occasionally ask from the core collection 😁 ??
The Merry
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
For a poetry essay:

- Title ([This is your introduction] Talk a little about the poems and maybe what the title suggests - you could put your critic in here)
- Structure (Writer's Craft)
- Techniques
- Language (Point; Evidence; Explanation; Analyse; Link in with another poem)
- Similarities & Differences (Critical quotation)

I assume if they ask you to look at a specific poem then it would be from your core text. I could be wrong but that's what I've gathered from past papers.

I'm still struggling to find a plan for Section 2 :confused:
basmaay
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Which play are you doing for section 2?

Thats a very good structure thank you X My plan is now to just go through each one of my core poems and seperate my notes on them to each of the AO's . For the partner text I'll only be learning about 5 main poems that link into pretty much any theme. Good idea? xx
The Merry
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing Dancing at Lughnasa for Section 2! What about you?

Regarding the partner texts, I think that's a good idea but just bare in mind to keep referring back to the question and don't force links between poems.
basmaay
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Merry)
I'm doing Dancing at Lughnasa for Section 2! What about you?

Regarding the partner texts, I think that's a good idea but just bare in mind to keep referring back to the question and don't force links between poems.
Yes I am studying Dancing at Lughnasa too . Since there is an AO4 for the play and not the poems, I think we should try and embed context into each paragraph (where its relevant of course). But your right, organising a structure for the play is hard. Especially since they can ask you a question on a theme or on a character. But heres what I came up with.

Question on a theme:
- Title, introduce the play and address the question.
- Analyse the extract they give you for language, technique used, context etc. This should be your main paragraph.
- Discuss where else in the play is relevant to the question. And analyse this passage.
- Discuss another extract which is relevant to the question.
- Conclude

Question on a character:
- Title, introduce the play and address the question.
- Discuss how this character is presented at the start of the play and contrast to the extract given.
- Go into further detail, including the use of language, symbolism and context of both extracts.
- Discuss the overall relevance of this character ( for example Kate, represents the catholic root of Ireland).
- Conclude

:confused: any good? Structure really is my weakness . .
The Merry
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Oh, my God you're a life saver it's perfect thank you

They haven't asked a character question for while so everyone reckons it will be on a character which might be easier... I just can't believe it's tomorrow
basmaay
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I am only so stressed out. Im not ready for it because i've neglected english for soo many days now.

Do you think i'de be able to refresh on all the themes/use of language etc on all the heaney poems and dancing at lughnasa today? and still have time to do at least one practise essay for each section 😬
Ellamar97
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Everyone ready for the exam now? Seing as it's tomorrow?
The Merry
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I am not ready at all!

I did a practice essay for war/conflict for Section A but everyone reckons it'll be on landscape :mad: Looks like I'll be pulling an all nighter!

Also, does anyone know the grade boundaries? I've tried to ask my teachers, but they're completely useless!
elbury1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I am not ready at all!

I did a practice essay for war/conflict for Section A but everyone reckons it'll be on landscape :mad: Looks like I'll be pulling an all nighter!

Also, does anyone know the grade boundaries? I've tried to ask my teachers, but they're completely useless!
Would both nature and urban landscapes come under the presentation of "landscape" or just the natural world?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Merry
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by elbury1)
Would both nature and urban landscapes come under the presentation of "landscape" or just the natural world?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both I guess.
basmaay
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Oh, my God you're a life saver it's perfect thank you

They haven't asked a character question for while so everyone reckons it will be on a character which might be easier... I just can't believe it's tomorrow
Hey x for Sheers since we only get marks for comparing and contrasting. Would we need to introduce the poems fully? For example at the start of the start of the essay we can write a short introduction of what the poem is about, thats fine. But do we then need to introduce its form and structure etc. or do we only compare and contrast points with it to heaney x x

Hope this makes sense
elbury1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Really hoping for journey, nature, memories or time to come up again! Tried to revise in detail the ones that haven't come up in a while so hopefully.
(For Larkin)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Merry
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by basmaay)
Hey x for Sheers since we only get marks for comparing and contrasting. Would we need to introduce the poems fully? For example at the start of the start of the essay we can write a short introduction of what the poem is about, thats fine. But do we then need to introduce its form and structure etc. or do we only compare and contrast points with it to heaney x x

Hope this makes sense
You only need to introduce what is relevant to the question. As for the form and structure, you need to mention it as that's AO2 as you have to demonstrate detailed critical understanding in analysing the ways structure, form and language shape meanings in literary texts. Just put in one sentence how the poem is structured then discuss why then do the same for Sheers to compare.
LiquidKarma
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
on average how long should the essay be?
as I keep running out of time from writing too much
basmaay
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LiquidKarma)
on average how long should the essay be?
as I keep running out of time from writing too much
In terms of length, i think 2 pages is enough or even 1 1/2 depending on how detailed you are. But just make sure you spend a little more than an hour on each section. That would give you enough time to write a good essay and time to check through it. The exam is 2 1/2 hours x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (18)
19.15%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (32)
34.04%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.32%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.13%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.57%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.15%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.38%

Watched Threads