The Student Room Group

The Mirror amongst other people lie about Jeremy Clarkson muttering 'the N word'

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes I do wonder if left wingers were all partially asphyxiated at birth
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
I am calm. You're acting like I've written a 3000 words rant. Seriously, don't patronise me. Like why reply to me?
He is on his final warning, he has done the same thing before. His comments have led to him being reprimanded by the BBC. If you can recall the 'slope' comment he made, he admitted to knowing the term was racist but he still used it anyway.
Why not avoid trouble? But nope, he welcomes it. I don't see other BBC presenters putting themselves in controversial positions.

I don't like Jeremy Clarkson, he's a closet racist that knowingly makes racist comments. I'm not white, and I don't like him. I don't care if he has racist opinions or has stereotypical judgments of different races in private, that's his business. I dislike the fact that he thinks its funny to publicly air them and say intentionally derogatory comments just to drum up publicity and attention.

Just because black people call themselves, the N word doesn't make it acceptable. I don't like when black people use it. If white people called each other crackers, then a black person called a white person a cracker. I bet some people would be on here screaming and shouting about how racist that is.
This discussion has ended.
Original post by niceguy95
Not Really, especially in this country.

Your calling people butthurt for being offended by a racial slur? You need help bro :laugh:
I need help for telling you to lighten up? Some world we live in.
Original post by Namige

after them being offended by a racial slur......shut up mate :rolleyes:
Why would you apologise for something you did? That's so fake and looking for the easy way out. Just say what you mean. IF you were racist admit it, don't try and hide it.

He pisses me off though and it's not about being politically correct. It's about what the "nursery rhyme" symbolises and it's not okay.
Original post by niceguy95
after them being offended by a racial slur......shut up mate :rolleyes:
Yes, that's the reason why I said lighten up. Do you not know what that means?
Original post by The Socktor
I remember hearing that in America, some right-wing people tried taking SpongeBob off the air because they thought he was gay...

Yeah they also said the muppets was pro-communist
Oh come off it. There was NO racist intent. The fact he was careful (although as we now see not careful enough) to not say that word but mumble it is evidence of that. He hasn't DONE anything wrong here. I mean, don't get me wrong I understand not liking clarkson, I'm not his biggest fan. The fact that forensic sound experts were needed demonstrates just ridiculous this whole thing is.
Original post by Namige

Are you gonna say that to a black man who throughout his youth had to hear the n-word shouted at him by ignorant white kids? Also my grandparents who came from Jamaica had to go through a disgusting amount of racism throughout their lives here.

I think you assume it's just Guardian-reading white people who are annoyed. You fail to take in the opinions of the people who this slur is aimed at.

There's been a failure throughout this thread to think from a black person's perspective. Some of you white kids really need to get out of your middle-class white neighbourhoods or your predominantly white working class villages.

-------------------------

The main thing that annoys me are the double standards that the BBC have. If this was another presenter there would be no question about them getting the boot. This whole situation stinks. Even Michael Gove has urged the BBC to keep him on. I can't help but imagine Clarkson and Cameron having a conversation about 'dirty Muslims' and 'poor Tiggers'.

My main issue is that there are many things that could avoid all the Top Gear controversies from happening. The BBC is incredibly white. Maybe if more races and groups were represented in the organisation, maybe the slurs such as 'slope' would have been called out and cut and appropriate warnings would have been given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff

I was even punched in the face, called a 'tigger' by a gang of white kids and had my MP3 player stolen and thrown off a bridge.

:frown: That's so wrong.

I find it pretty disgusting that the people who are emphatically saying this is inoffensive and no big deal are white, as if they get to decide what's racist and the actual targets of this have no say in the matter.
Original post by MostUncivilised
:frown: That's so wrong.

I find it pretty disgusting that the people who are emphatically saying this is inoffensive and no big deal are white, as if they get to decide what's racist and the actual targets of this have no say in the matter.

Rather than being a huge racist I think that Jeremy Clarkson is instead a man from another generation of white, British men who have outdated views of race, gender, religion, what is acceptable to say and how people should live their life. Don't get me wrong , he is a racist, but not on the same level of some people. It's the politics involved which is dangerous.

He's racist, sexist and homophobic, but a lot of things from his generation were. If you watch and read Astroboy by Osamu Tezuka he has drawn and written a comic which expresses how much of a disease racism is in society, and in it hugely criticises how America treats black people, but still draws the black man with pure black skin and huge lips. That was what was just seen as acceptable back then. Sort of like the racism from Tom and Jerry. It's rightfully unacceptable today. Maybe those were his flaws? Part of his work was progressive, but another part was stuck in the year it was made? I'm sure if Osamu Tezuka was alive today he would accept that criticism of his work. Japan wasn't exactly see many black people at that period.

Anyway... Clarkson has no excuse. His views bring nothing positive to the table and are damaging. He is a dinosaur. The roars of one dinosaur will cause other dinosaurs to roar too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
Rather than being a huge racist I think that Jeremy Clarkson is instead a man from another generation of white, British men who have outdated views of race, gender, religion, what is acceptable to say and how people should live their life. Don't get me wrong , he is a racist, but not on the same level of some people. It's the politics involved which is dangerous

I totally agree with you there, he's not an overt racist and I don't think he hates people from other races. But in a way, those types of racists are far less of a problem because they are easily identified and dealt with, and abhorred by society generally.

It is people like Clarkson who are a more difficult proposition, he's the kind of person who would discriminate against black people if he were, for example, on an interview panel for a job. He doesn't think he's racist. He can't put himself in someone else's shoes and understand why they might find his repeated outbursts offensive.
Reply 212
The mirror is an untrustworthy lying example of the general media

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know if OP has corrected his opening statement, but it seems the newspapers had all the evidcne to back up their claims originally - so much so after chatting with his PR people probaably Clarkson u-turned his denial stance to apologising in a tear-jerking apology on twitter . I don't get why everyone is surpsied at this - hes a known dick with the sense of humour of a 12 year old school boy - isnt that what TOP gear has basically become nowadays? he made some racial comment at a vietnamese or Burmese person I think in their last series, why is anyone surprised by this? will he get sacked like ron atkinson did? of curse not because unlike RA, lots of people currently find clarkson and top gear hilarious- its about viewing figures not brains or morality
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
There's been a failure throughout this thread to think from a black person's perspective. Some of you white kids really need to get out of your middle-class white neighbourhoods or your predominantly white working class villages. Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, so you're offended and you want him punished. Fine, I get that. But that isn't enough, is it? Oh no. Presumably, you want to see other people outraged or equally offended. And if they aren't, then there must be something wrong with them. Either they are looking at it from the wrong perspective or must lead ignorant and insular lifestyles. But if that isn't enough, we have some personal anecdotes, the purpose of which I can only assume is to shame people into denigrating the man further.

Sorry to disappoint you but perhaps people are just not interested and are unwilling to join the latest media frenzy. Maybe they quite like JC and enjoy seeing the PC types getting their knickers in a twist, I know I do.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/10995483/Jeremy-Clarksons-slope-joke-on-Top-Gear-was-deliberate-use-of-racist-term-Ofcom-rules.html

Police are now investigating TV footage from 30 years ago to look for racist Tv presenters.
I wonder how many more will be dragged into whatever the operation gets called.
Maybe they could call the operation ComedicBigot.
Maybe the historical crimes of Jim Davidson's comedy in the 80s might get refered to Operation ComedicBigot.

This must also go on for several years, to make up for the times when the Police didn't take accidental slips of the tongue seriously enough.

I'm guessing operation ComedicBigot is going to cost several million before it concludes.

Lets hope Topgear carries on in the meantime, and by the time they've finished Operation ComedicBigot Topgear will not be funny anymore, so it will not be too upsetting if it gets dropped by the BBC, because all the best stuff will have been done.
Original post by democracyforum
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/10995483/Jeremy-Clarksons-slope-joke-on-Top-Gear-was-deliberate-use-of-racist-term-Ofcom-rules.html

Police are now investigating TV footage from 30 years ago to look for racist Tv presenters.
I wonder how many more will be dragged into whatever the operation gets called.
Maybe they could call the operation ComedicBigot.
Maybe the historical crimes of Jim Davidson's comedy in the 80s might get refered to Operation ComedicBigot.

This must also go on for several years, to make up for the times when the Police didn't take accidental slips of the tongue seriously enough.

I'm guessing operation ComedicBigot is going to cost several million before it concludes.

Lets hope Topgear carries on in the meantime, and by the time they've finished Operation ComedicBigot Topgear will not be funny anymore, so it will not be too upsetting if it gets dropped by the BBC, because all the best stuff will have been done.

Roy Chubby Brown is ****ed then.
Original post by democracyforum
by the time they've finished Operation ComedicBigot Topgear will not be funny anymore

Top Gear is not funny now​.
This is a much more cynical story than most people realise. It isn't that Clarkson is personally a racist particularly. It's that he and the Top Gear management know that racism sells and the BBC are happy to go along with that. The whole ethos of TG as a ladmag apparently includes a dose of pseudo 'anti-PC' mickey taking which in reality is blatant racism, it's planned that way and it's designed to make the show sell. The top people at the Beeb who buy it have been fully aware of that and approve of it.

The talk about 'sacking' Clarkson if he makes one more gaffe is tripe. He doesn't work for the BBC - Top Gear is Clarkson's own company. If the BBC dropped it, he would take it off like a shot to Netflix or Sky and make twice the money. So please BBC, stop lying about both the racism and the commercial realities of this show. We are not idiots.
Original post by addylad
Top Gear is not funny now​.

Amen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending