The Student Room Group

The Mirror amongst other people lie about Jeremy Clarkson muttering 'the N word'

Scroll to see replies

Many people in the 1970s liked Benny Hill and his shows sold around the world. Maybe in 40 years time we will look upon Jeremy Clarkson as a relic in a similar way, even if the allegations about the use of the N word are completely untrue.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
It's a barely audible word, which we can't even be sure was the word it's accused of being, in a context that's not aiming abuse or anything at anyone. Racism is an important issue but this smacks of people actively searching for something to be offended about.

It actually does sound like an N, and the fact that he deliberately mumbled it when everyone knows how that bit of it goes is very suspect. He could have easily not mumbled it and said tigger, but he decided not to.

Frankly, Clarkson has always sailed close to the wind and I think this is merely the straw that broke the camels back. He has the tendency that is common in sociopaths to do something that could be construed as offensive and then say, "What? Can't you take a joke? You're hearing things".

If this was the first time something like this had happened, of course he would be given the benefit of the doubt. But knowing what he's like, I think people are less likely to do so. The BBC has an obligation as state broadcaster to speak for the interests of the whole nation, not just a sectional interest. Clarkson should be dismissed, if he were working in the private sector he would have been sacked years ago for bringing the firm into disrepute.
So we have Clarkson possibly using the N-word.

He also called Mexicans "lazy and feckless", he joked about calling an Asian man a "slope" (which is a highly offensive word), he tweeted a picture of himself asleep with a sign he'd written pointing to himself with the words "gay c-word" (and it had the full word).

It's unbelievable that he hasn't been disciplined, and it shows that standards are much lower in the state-run BBC than you'd find in any private sector organisation. Time for Clarkson to be dismissed
Original post by Manitude
Did it occur to you that perhaps it was a deliberate slurring where he didn't say anything offensive to get people to think he'd said something offensive when he actually didn't. Jeremy Clarkson (the man) could be using Jeremy Clarkson (the character*) to point out how ridiculous it is that society has become hyper-paranoid about being PC that the media can cause an uproar without anyone explicitly saying anything offensive? I'm not saying that is what he did, but he's in the perfect position to do something like that.

Personally I'm inclined to believe he was brought up using n- and and realised mid flow that it wasn't OK to use the word in public so slurred it (maybe realising too late that he could just say tigger; nursery rhymes do get engrained so much that it's virtually muscle memory to repeat them). One of the worst things you can do as a performer is stop.

*What you see on Top Gear is a character, most of the time it's also scripted and he doesn't actually believe most of the stuff he says on the program (something which, ironically, he said on the program in an offhand comment to Alastair Campbell if I remember correctly)

So he stops it, it's not live so he can just repeat what he said again? The bit in bold doesn't make sense and just seems apologist.

Also regardless if it was intended to go public, where he actually said the word all he had to do was not say it. Finally that segment of top gear isn't done with a live audience, so he could have just repeated it.

The man did this intentionally. If you're a presenter, you'll likely have a few lines that you'll want to bring up. He knew it all along...

Finally, if the program was scripted, why would he then go and potentially say something so offensive? It doesn't make sense. Its a nursery rhyme with racist roots and he's blurring out the racist bit?
Original post by MostUncivilised

He also called Mexicans "lazy and feckless", he joked about calling an Asian man a "slope" (which is a highly offensive word), he tweeted a picture of himself asleep with a sign he'd written pointing to himself with the words "gay c-word" (and it had the full word).

It's unbelievable that he hasn't been disciplined, and it shows that standards are much lower in the state-run BBC than you'd find in any private sector organisation. Time for Clarkson to be dismissed

He didn't say the n word fully and it was not directed at anybody. Get your hearing checked.

Mexicans aren't exactly known for their work ethic, more like siestas and party's. Although this can be interpreted as offensive, it was clearly not meant as an insult and was a joke. Slope in not an insult or an offensive word. "Insulting" oneself (although it was a joke) is insulting himself. Not you or anybody else. Pipe down.

I would not discipline him. I would take him out the pub and buy him a nice English pint of Bombardier. How racist of me.:rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MostUncivilised

Thank you.

Honestly it's ridiculous.
Original post by Snagprophet
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617363/Jeremy-Clarkson-denies-making-racist-comments.html

This is the video. It turns out it's utter bull****, as usual.

This is the article where the Mirror claims he said 'the N word'.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-presenter-3480875

It's ridiculous. There's professional lawyers calling for the sacking of this guy for no reason, with no evidence and frankly they're out of touch with this country let alone with nursery rhymes.

We used to say 'catch a tigger by his toe' at school. 'The N word' was used in the past and that could be why Clarkson muttered the second line so that '-igger' is vague heard. Could also be that his muttering might've created an H or M sound but it's just disgusting that smear campaigns can be done like this.

Nope he said it, he even admitted to saying it. You look like a fool.

HA!
Original post by the mezzil
He didn't say the n word. Get your hearing checked.

Mexicans aren't exactly known for their work ethic, more like siestas and party's. Although this can be interpreted as offensive, it was clearly not meant as an insult and was a joke. Slope in not an insult or an offensive word. "Insulting" oneself (although it was a joke) is insulting himself. Not you or anybody else. Pipe down.

I would not discipline him. I would take him out the pub and buy him a nice English pint of Bombardier. How racist of me.:rolleyes:

He did say it though.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-begs-forgiveness-n-word-top-gear

He muttered it under his breath (because he didn't actually want to say it) and it was not directed at anybody. He did not explicitly say the word. He mumbled it so he would not have to say a racial slur. It was not made in malice, that is why he mumbled it. Like usual, the Guardian take it to far and misinterpret his reasoning.

http://twitpic.com/e2mc8b

Pipe down kiddo.

I wonder why no Guardian/ Mirror journalists are saying not such things about rappers who say the n word all the time? Hmmmm...

Anyway, I shall listen to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG_dA32oH44&list=AL94UKMTqg-9AQM0MabroVRUnF7PbJPWNW
(edited 9 years ago)
Is it just me who:

1) Never knew until today that "eeny-meeny-miney-mo" had racist roots, and
2) Never knew until the other day that "slope" was a racially offensive word?
He muttered it under his breath (because he didn't actually want to say it) and it was not directed at anybody. He did not explicitly say the word. He mumbled it so he would not have to say a racial slur. Like usual, the Guardian take it to far and misinterpret his reasoning.

http://twitpic.com/e2mc8b

Pipe down kiddo.

I wonder why no Guardian/ Mirror journalists are saying not such things about rappers who say the n word all the time? Hmmmm...

Anyway, I shall listen to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG_dA32oH44&list=AL94UKMTqg-9AQM0MabroVRUnF7PbJPWNW

So he said it. I mean it was quite clear what he said even if mumbled even if his intentions weren't to cause harm. You are sitting here claiming he didn't say it when quite clearly he did, you can hear it in the video and he admits it.

I'm pointing out that you saying he didn't say it is false so it is you that should 'pipe down kiddo'.
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
So he said it. I mean it was quite clear what he said even if mumbled even if his intentions weren't to cause harm. You are sitting here claiming he didn't say it when quite clearly he did, you can hear it in the video and he admits it.

I'm pointing out that you saying he didn't say it is false so it is you that should 'pipe down kiddo'.

He didn't "say" it, he mumbled it under his breath. That is a far cry from actually saying the n word.

The n word is not even an insult anyway, so those who are calling for his sacking are clearly taking things out of context.
Original post by snowyowl
Is it just me who:

1) Never knew until today that "eeny-meeny-miney-mo" had racist roots, and
2) Never knew until the other day that "slope" was a racially offensive word?

No, tbf I never knew enny meeny used the word ******. I always thought it was tiger or something of the sort. Secondly I had never heard of the racial slur slope before either.
No, tbf I never knew enny meeny used the word ******. I always thought it was tiger or something of the sort. Secondly I had never heard of the racial slur slope before either.

I always used to say "tiger" or my mum used to say "baby" :dontknow:

Is "slope" a commonly used racial slur or not?
He didn't "say" it, he mumbled it under his breath. That is a far cry from actually saying the n word.

The n word is not even an insult anyway, so those who are calling for his sacking are clearly taking things out of context.

Rofl. So mumbling makes it better, it's acceptable to use the word ****** now so long as you mumble?

I'm not calling for his sacking I actually don't care that much that he used, I'm just pointing out that he did indeed use the word when you were trying to say he didn't.
Original post by snowyowl
I always used to say "tiger" or my mum used to say "baby" :dontknow:

Is "slope" a commonly used racial slur or not?

I think slope is more of an american thing. I've literally never heard of it being used as a racial slur before.
Nope he said it, he even admitted to saying it. You look like a fool.

HA!

Twitter
"I did not use the n-word. Never use it. The Mirror has gone way too far this time."

Source please?

Why would someone say one thing and then say another?

The fact that the Mirror spent year with this piece of footage trying to decide using auditory forensic scientists whether it can legally be construed as racist says it all. It's a hate campaign on Clarkson and this just proves that they spend their lives trying to invent dirt for him.

This is why I dislike organisations like 'Equality First'. They instantly jumped on the bandwagon because they wouldn't be in work otherwise. It's disgusting this organisation exists.
How can a mumble not be racist because he didn't say it clearly enough.

:facepalm2: how stupid are you apologists.
Original post by Snagprophet
Source please?

Why would someone say one thing and then say another?

The fact that the Mirror spent year with this piece of footage trying to decide using auditory forensic scientists whether it can legally be construed as racist says it all. It's a hate campaign on Clarkson and this just proves that they spend their lives trying to invent dirt for him.

This is why I dislike organisations like 'Equality First'. They instantly jumped on the bandwagon because they wouldn't be in work otherwise. It's disgusting this organisation exists.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-begs-forgiveness-n-word-top-gear

He even posted a video apology.
Original post by jam277
How can a mumble not be racist because he didn't say it clearly enough.

:facepalm2: how stupid are you apologists.

Listen to this, and then tell me how racist the n word is please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG_dA32oH44

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending