What does this mean? Please, can you elaborate? Watch

DaivaPuthri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In some cultures, attitudes with regards to a woman’s ageing is closely related to her fertility.

I don't know what they mean by this. Any clarifications would be useful.
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
KittyHills
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't study your subject but I'd explore ideas around cultures who see a girl as a woman when she starts her period for the first time, or cultures that have young age of consent/marriage rates.

Also the fertility rates for women used in the current day are actually taken from about 300 years ago (obviously before birth control and the use of abortion)!! See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24128176

I'd also explore western cultural attitudes towards women who start the menopause and maybe tribes who embrace their elders? I'd look at why some cultures discard women once they've reached a certain age, whereas other cultures embrace those women for their skill and knowledge.

How about cultures that celebrate child birth and fertility festivals (if any cultures have them). Also I'd think about why women's fertility would be more important to certain cultures than others, ie in some countries they have lots of children who they can raise to provide for the parents when they reach old age, whereas other cultures don't rely on that need when deciding to reproduce. Perhaps explore the idea of women who decide not to have children and how they are treated in different cultures. Finally I'd look at changes over time and between cultures on the age at which a woman is 'over the hill' to get married - some cultures emphasise a specific time period in which women 'need' to get married, those who don't successfully find a husband have to live in a completely different way, like get a job!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads