The Student Room Group

Thinking about Algarve/Faro in Portugal

anybody got any info on this area? Albufueira (sp) is the main resort we're thinking of

Looking to go for 5 days, there should easily be enough around?

Looking to go out at night, chill on the beach in the evenings, what stuff in the day time?

- hire bikes and get a tour/go riding yourself downhill towards the see
- go karting
- go to a golf course
- horse riding
- hire a boat and go to an island
- chill in surrounding area

any more tips?
Original post by UniLAAAAD
anybody got any info on this area? Albufueira (sp) is the main resort we're thinking of

Looking to go for 5 days, there should easily be enough around?

Looking to go out at night, chill on the beach in the evenings, what stuff in the day time?

- hire bikes and get a tour/go riding yourself downhill towards the see
- go karting
- go to a golf course
- horse riding
- hire a boat and go to an island
- chill in surrounding area

any more tips?

Hi!
I went to Albufeira last year and it was honestly the best hoiday ever!
The night life is vibrant - by no means Ibiza but there are bar crawls and a party boat if you want to go on one of those and there's a good mix of people i.e it's not all drunken 18 year olds on their first holiday. If I remember correctly the strip is kinda in two lanes, but both sides have an array of bars and restaurents and there is a club a little out of the way (about a 5 minute walk from the bottom)

During the day there is so much to do; we went to a water park, did a jeep safari (amazing) and went to park adventura which is like go ape but like 15 euro for unlimited use. We also of course went to the beach and visited Old town, which takes about 30 minutes to walk to from where we were or there are buses and taxis. Old town is lovely with loads to see and nice restaurents. We also did a boat trip from there which was pretty awesome.

There's so much more that we didn't do though too!

Eating and drinking was cheap - one bar gave us free drinks all night haha and people were friendly.

Hope this helps and have fun :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kaylaleigh
Hi!
I went to Albufeira last year and it was honestly the best hoiday ever!
The night life is vibrant - by no means Ibiza but there are bar crawls and a party boat if you want to go on one of those and there's a good mix of people i.e it's not all drunken 18 year olds on their first holiday. If I remember correctly the strip is kinda in two lanes, but both sides have an array of bars and restaurents and there is a club a little out of the way (about a 5 minute walk from the bottom)

During the day there is so much to do; we went to a water park, did a jeep safari (amazing) and went to park adventura which is like go ape but like 15 euro for unlimited use. We also of course went to the beach and visited Old town, which takes about 30 minutes to walk to from where we were or there are buses and taxis. Old town is lovely with loads to see and nice restaurents. We also did a boat trip from there which was pretty awesome.

There's so much more that we didn't do though too!

Eating and drinking was cheap - one bar gave us free drinks all night haha and people were friendly.

Hope this helps and have fun :smile:

Will pass this onto my friends. If you have time, could you describe what stuff you saw on the jeep safari?

thanks so much for the help, so prompt and well detailed, I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by UniLAAAAD
Will pass this onto my friends. If you have time, could you describe what stuff you saw on the jeep safari?

thanks so much for the help, so prompt and well detailed, I really appreciate it :smile:

That's ok, glad to help!
The jeep safari took us to really high altitudes, not mountainous but we got a real good view, the tour guide was really good and full of knowledge, we had several stop offs, we stopped off through a cork tree plantation and got to see demonstrations of old traitional crafts, we also stopped off and got to try some local 'firewater' and honey and had the chance to buy if we wanted. We also stopped off at a couple of lakes in which we could swim - the second one was a natural mineral spring so you could drink the water and everything. Lunch was provided in a really nice quaint little village in a local pub and the food was so good and they provided wine which is always nice :wink:
The whole thing was really fun and I'd reccomend it!

We went through Thomas Cook so we had a rep who sold us all the excursions we went on, if you go through a tour operater it's definitely worth it because it saved us sorting it out!

Also you mentioned horse riding in your first post, we enquired with the hotel about doing this one day and when they phoned we were told that the afternoon was too hot for the horses so we missed out - just in case you did go I reckon you'd have to go in the morning.
Praia da rocha is nice too. We went to a place called Carvoeiro but I think that's probably a bit too quiet for you. Best to stick with somewhere like albufeira

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 5
I went and stayed at Estrella du Vau (sp?) for 10 days and it was the best holiday ever! Portugal is a really amazing country and especially the Algarve: low crime rates, nice people and really sunny. Can't recommend it enough! :smile:
Went to Lagos in August and it was cold in the evening. Had to wear jeans and a jumper! Nice old town though.

Quick Reply

Latest