The Student Room Group

wanting to Continue degree after 5 years. previously under old finance system.

Hi there

I was studying BA fashion accessories at Wolverhampton uni from 2007-2010. It was part time and under the old system all my fees were paid. I completed 180 successful credits and took a gap year as I was pregnant but then I decided not to go back and withdrew. I was awarded a Certificate of higher education in fashion accessories in 2011/12.

I now wish to continue the degree but full time at Birmingham City uni. They have said they will allow me entry onto the second year because of my certHE. They will only allow 120 off my credits to be transferred not all 180..because there is no award for 180 credits. (240 is had I think).

Am i eligible for a tuition fee loan in these circumstances? If yes can I apply for the maintenance grant too as I have 2 kids who will be 4 and 6 when my course starts and our income is under 25k?

In the application when it asks for previous loans do i say yes or no as i got grants not loans.

lastly, I started an application last year to sfe as I wanted to study at the open uni. I left it incomplete and rang to Cancel as I was unsure about studying there..would this affect my new application?

I plan to start uni jn 2016. I thought I'd find out well before hand about finance.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I hope someone can help.

Thank you in advance.
Hi Zarina,

Based on the information you've provided I would expect that you'll be entitled to student finance for the period of study you want to undertake. Please be aware though that in order to give you a definite answer I would need to review the details of your account with us and the info on your previous study period.

It might therefore be a good idea to speak with a phone adviser on 0300 100 0607 who can check all of your account info and who can make sure that your previous OU application has definitely been cancelled off.

If you are entitled to full student finance for the course you'll be able to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, Maintenance Grant, Childcare Grant (if needed) and Parent Learning Allowance (an extra non-repayable amount to help with parental costs).

Hope this helps,

Quick Reply

Latest