Why do celebrities abuse heroin?

Watch
Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So it turns out Peaches Geldof was a heroin addict and died as the result of an overdose and so too did Philip Seymour Hoffman (he apparently had 50 bags of heroin on him)

I cannot understand why people with that much money, privilege, influence and just security for life would just throw it all for a high. It's even worse when they die around their kids like both the aforementioned did.

Why not just go on a nice holiday with your kids or get your issues sorted out so that you can enjoy life?

It's not like they couldn't afford it is it?

WTF??
DiZZeeKiD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why does anyone abuse heroin?
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cos it's addictive, celebrities are still people and they are affected by drugs the same way as anyone else.

Maybe they have more contacts or more money to waste? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
dreadpiraterach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's easier for celebrities to get access to drugs than it is for most people; it can start off as a recreational thing, or to try and keep energy levels up if they have a gruelling schedule (e.g. musicians doing loads of touring). Then once people start, it's incredibly difficult to stop. Addiction is a strong and scary thing.
Silver Arrow
Rep:
?
(Original post by majmuh24)
Cos it's addictive, celebrities are still people and they are affected by drugs the same way as anyone else.

Maybe they have more contacts or more money to waste? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well why start in the first place? Seems pretty ****ing stupid to have an incredible life and then destroy it all by being a smackhead.
AsianPersuasion.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
its wrong for a mother (in the case of Peaches Geldof) to be abusing certain substances however i think that there is a negative stigma attached to some drugs such as marijuana and other "herbal" narcotics, which should not be used on a daily basis but on a recreational basis should be legal, i think this way people will look less towards other drugs.
SerLorasTyrell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I presume because the high (or low since it's a depressant like alcohol) is out of this world so it's not too difficult to wrap your head around

Posted from TSR Mobile
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you've bought everything money can buy there's nothing left but to try the bad stuff, I guess. Plus you are surrounded by people who want to take advantage of you and don't have your best interests at heart.
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe because it's awesome, who knows.
Silver Arrow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
When you've bought everything money can buy there's nothing left but to try the bad stuff, I guess. Plus you are surrounded by people who want to take advantage of you and don't have your best interests at heart.
HMM Okay,s o let's say i win the lottery, buy all my family member's a house, pay off their debts, maybe give a few quid to charity, then the next logical step is to overdose on smack right?
Double Agent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To block out the twisted depressing culture they live in.
Dr Alcoholic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
Maybe because it's awesome, who knows.

I've had it, it is quite a nice drug.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dr Alcoholic)
I've had it, it is quite a nice drug.
Can't say I have or any opiate.. But they do say it's a state of pure bliss.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
HMM Okay,s o let's say i win the lottery, buy all my family member's a house, pay off their debts, maybe give a few quid to charity, then the next logical step is to overdose on smack right?
I'd wager it wouldn't be the first time it's happened.
Dr Alcoholic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
Can't say I have or any opiate.. But they do say it's a state of pure bliss.

Very comfortable, like warm and cosy in your bed but 100 times more euphoric.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Very comfortable, like warm and cosy in your bed but 100 times more euphoric.
If only it wasn't so horribly addictive and disgusting.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
Well why start in the first place? Seems pretty ****ing stupid to have an incredible life and then destroy it all by being a smackhead.
Being rich and famous doesn't equal "an incredible life". Peaches mum died when she was a kid, but hey, she got five grand shoes and to party with footballers!

People do heroin because it feels good. The thing is, people do do it and get away with it, so there's always the feeling you can control it, you can get away with it. On the flipside, some people have self destructive tendancies, they just can't resist doing crazy **** like this.
Dr Alcoholic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
If only it wasn't so horribly addictive and disgusting.
It's not as addictive as people make out. It becomes addictive after constant frequent use, but it's not like anyone uses it once or twice and that's it you're hooked. Most of the time the addictions starts as a mental addiction where users are addicted to the escapism of the drug, rather than the drug itself. You do however develop a physical dependence to it after a while, but you can get over it. In fact it's safer to come off a heroin addiction that it is off of alcohol. To suddenly stop alcohol addiction can kill you, where as heroin you can technically go cold turkey.

Also only the street stuff is disgusting because it's cut with all sorts. Pure heroin is actually safe for long term use providing you don't overdose.
alea iacta est
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Many reasons, I suspect.
bananaterracottapie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not as addictive as people make out. It becomes addictive after constant frequent use, but it's not like anyone uses it once or twice and that's it you're hooked. Most of the time the addictions starts as a mental addiction where users are addicted to the escapism of the drug, rather than the drug itself. You do however develop a physical dependence to it after a while, but you can get over it. In fact it's safer to come off a heroin addiction that it is off of alcohol. To suddenly stop alcohol addiction can kill you, where as heroin you can technically go cold turkey.

Also only the street stuff is disgusting because it's cut with all sorts. Pure heroin is actually safe for long term use providing you don't overdose.
i don't know why i dont trust someone called DR Alcoholic...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.72%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (82)
64.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (15)
11.72%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
10.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.34%

Watched Threads