The Student Room Group

I want to dress stylish-ly but people around me look like ****. (guys/girls GTFIH)

Okay title was mainly to draw people in but let me explain:

(I'm a girl btw)

I like dressing stylishly and it's a fun way for me to express myself. I sometimes get told by people that they like how I dress (which is much appreciated since I put a lot of time and effort into it) but I want to step it up since I'm slowly refining my taste and coming to grips with what works well for me.

The thing, however, is that I don't know where and when I could dress up in my day to day life e.g. uni/lectures without it looking like over kill or like a try-hard attention seeker since most people seem to be in casual-ish clothing. This is the sort of outfit I'd want to wear:

Spoiler

Tldr: What would you think if you saw someone like this at uni (bear in mind it's not a very arts/humanity focussed uni)? Where could I wear something like this? And what do you think of the style? Answers appreciated. Thank you very muchly.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The amount of surface area of naked leg is a sight for sore eyes, but just do you! Express yourself as you see fit. You're bound to meet/see similar like minded, fashionable women on University sites and you won't stick out like a sore thumb imho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doppelgänger
The amount of surface area of naked leg is a sight for sore eyes, but just do you! Express yourself as you see fit. You're bound to meet/see similar like minded, fashionable women on University sites and you won't stick out like a sore thumb imho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh? What do you mean by the bit in bold? :curious: And I'm trying to just do me but I get a little self conscious if people turn to look if I'm dressed up (although they may well be admiring who know?) :colondollar: I think it doesn't help that I've heard some of my friends/aquaintances criticize girls on campus who have dressed up so there's that too, but haters gon' hate right?

Also as a guy, what would you think if you saw a girl dressed like the girl in the pics? Does it look a little too... revealing/ott for a uni outfit? just curious
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Araminka
Eh? What do you mean by the bit in bold? :curious: And I'm trying to just do me but I get a little self conscious if people turn to look if I'm dressed up (although they may well be admiring who know?) :colondollar: I think it doesn't help that I've heard some of my friends/aquaintances criticize girls on campus who have dressed up so there's that too, but haters gon' hate right?

Also as a guy, what would you think if you saw a girl dressed like the girl in the pics? Does it look a little too... revealing/ott for a uni outfit? just curious

The bit in bold means the amount of leg on show is appealing to the eye and will perk a few guys up. Though in an educational environment you don't want attention to be on your assets rather than your work. It's true haters gone hate, but there's a time and a place to be dressed to impress and a Uni lecture/seminar shouldn't be high on the list aha.

It's an attractive and fashionable look, but as you said slightly on the revealing side but I doubt many people would bat an eyelid if you pull it off with confidence (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Doppelgänger
The bit in bold means the amount of leg on show is appealing to the eye and will perk a few guys up. Though in an educational environment you don't want attention to be on your assets rather than your work. It's true haters gone hate, but there's a time and a place to be dressed to impress and a Uni lecture/seminar shouldn't be high on the list aha.

It's an attractive and fashionable look, but as you said slightly on the revealing side but I doubt many people would bat an eyelid if you pull it off with confidence (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I see, although that can be a tad disconcerting at times. And true that, do you have any ideas as to what sort of situations this would be more suited to?

Thanks for your replies so far btw :smile:
Love that style! Would say it's definitely acceptable, although the shoes would be a bit inappropriate for uni etc, tone down the shoes and it'll be great. :yep:

Where did you get the photos from?
(edited 9 years ago)
Just dress the way you want to dress, and don't let people make you feel down for it just rise above! And make them realise not only do you know how to dress, but you're also intelligent and a decent human being. Life's too short to worry about what other people think

Also, the pictures aren't over dressed at all. Just make sure you're comfortable in your clothes
Love it! Go for it, anything you're most comfortable in is what you should go for :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by TolerantBeing
Love that style! Would say it's definitely acceptable, although the shoes would be a bit inappropriate for uni etc, tone down the shoes and it'll be great. :yep:

I'm glad you like it! Haha yh 5 inch stilettos would probably look a little out of place despite how nice they look :lol: You don't think the outfits would be considered too revealing, even though to me they look very 'pretty' and not necessarily 'sexy'.
?
Welcome to the UK, where style died around 2008. Nice to see that you and Tyrion Lannister are trying to resurrect it.
I have a friend who dresses stylishly, wears nice dresses, flowery hair accessories and a fur hat and muff when it's cold. It's just her. Nobody really thinks anything of it. Especially when you find out she makes her own dresses and is a Lolita, clearly she likes fashion and looking nice.

Honestly though the only thing I think looking at those outfits is that they all have skirts, and thus would leave you far too cold in the winter. You'd look a bit try-hard on cold days wearing something that has a skirt, but during summer I wouldn't really think anything of it. A lot of girls dress nice, and everyone has their own style. You'd draw less attention than someone who has their hair dyed in 3 different colours :tongue:
Looool if you have the money for it go for it , at uni your most likely gonna be broke as hell though hence why everyone wears cheap topman / primark etc.
Original post by barnetlad
Welcome to the UK, where style died around 2008. Nice to see that you and Tyrion Lannister are trying to resurrect it.

If you go to a nice area you do see lots of girls with style , its not cheap though and in the current economic climate people don't have money to throw away.
Do it! I dress in 1950s dresses daily
I like the style, if I saw someone at uni I'd probably be impressed since putting on jeans is effort for me in the morning :lol:

You wear what you're comfortable in tbh, I don't think people will care :no:

Thank you :love:
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
If you go to a nice area you do see lots of girls with style , its not cheap though and in the current economic climate people don't have money to throw away.

Barnet is a 'nice area', yet style is still in need of resuscitation.
Reply 17
You should not express yourself. Instead you should wear what everyone else does.
Those outfits are gorgeous, go for it. I'd definitely dress like that if I had those clothes. Definitely need to invest in some :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Barnet is a 'nice area', yet style is still in need of resuscitation.

Oh true , obviously not everywhere though.

In my experience when i've been through places such as Richmond people dress much better then they do in my area anyway .

Quick Reply

Latest