The Student Room Group

Brand New Seat Leon SC or second hand BMW 1 series?

I am planning on getting a new car soon and these two are at the top of the list.

OPTION ONE
New Seat Leon SC
Looks a little like an A3?

Amazing headlights/LEDs:

Seat is doing the car + free technology pack (LED headlights,, DAB radio and very importantly navigation pack) + £1k deposit contribution on hire purchase.

£3,779 deposit and £165 repayments per month for 35 months, 4.9% APR

So over 3 years I will pay:
Deposit: £3,779
35 x £165 repayments: £ 5,775
Fees: £125 + £60 = £185

Total: £9,739.

OPTION TWO
Ok so now lets assume I have £9700 to spend on a BMW 1 series, knock off £700 for insurance (and to make it a nice number!)

£9,000 can get me a 50k ish miles 11 plate 1 series.

Which would you choose? (I am not sure about buying a new car... would it be better off to buy second hand?)
Reply 1
The Leon looks like an A3 because it basically is, just with a Spanish badge and cheaper plastics on the interior.

I would go for the BMW. £10000 is a lot of money for a 1.2 hatch - and don't get caught up on having built-in nav, yes it can be handy but a £200 sat-nav will do a much better job and will work in any car. You could get a much stronger 1-series - in coupe form if the styling of the hatch isn't your taste - for the same money. At 50k-ish miles you'll be coming up to a big service so maybe stretch to a car that's already had it done - but either way you'll be losing less money over the term as somebody else will have taken the depreciation hit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Seat Leon e'rrrrryday. They look beautiful - the 1.2 tsi model is rapid, stylish and well built.
If you're not opposed to 2nd hand get a 3 year old model

You can easily get a new shape 1er for your budget
Original post by Opts
Seat Leon e'rrrrryday. They look beautiful - the 1.2 tsi model is rapid, stylish and well built.

I second this.

Had one last month while on holiday as a rental for about a week. I got the 1.6 turbo-diesel, I can imagine the turbo-petrol being even better and more fun.

Handles great, decent interior, felt very solid. Great stock sound system too.

I would go for it over the BMW.
The Leon, however not brand new, get a second hand one....
Reply 6
The Beemer. Mainly because it is a BMW also because it comes with Seats. :biggrin:
why not get the leon on lease.
My sister got it for £149 per month for 2 years which is better than the depreciation
The 1.2TSI engine is a good engine in a VW Polo but not in a Golf or Leon.

As for the 1 series? It isn't that fantastic a car and I generally don't think it is a good idea to buy a car that the only way you could afford to have one is to buy an older one.
Reply 9
Original post by thuvcasio
why not get the leon on lease.
My sister got it for £149 per month for 2 years which is better than the depreciation

I know u posted this comment ages ago but if u can remember the place she got it from plz share! sounds like a quality deal and im struggling to find a website where they have decent priced leasing.
Do you know after the 35 payments are made you have to make a balloon payment which is big at once or you have to give the car back.
Original post by Joeey009
Do you know after the 35 payments are made you have to make a balloon payment which is big at once or you have to give the car back.

Yeah I thought that. Updates OP?
PCP is the way to do it. If you have a balloon of £5,000, take it to a rival garage and they'll give you around 1k more than the balloon. The balloon is set lower so the garage, if you hand the keys back, make a profit on the car.

I've just bought myself a 2011 Leon FR+ - purely because I like the old shape of Leon better. Mine is a 2.0 diesel and goes like ****. Have no experience of any other engine sizes. Funnily enough I had looked at a 1 series too. But at the 50k miles mark, it was FAR too much for me to consider. 30k miles was my absolute cut off. At 50k, cv joints, strut mounts etc start to go and you'll start needing to pay upkeep on the car. No thanks. Purely preference though.
Original post by azy2k9
I know u posted this comment ages ago but if u can remember the place she got it from plz share! sounds like a quality deal and im struggling to find a website where they have decent priced leasing.

It was with 'all car leasing' when it was on offer, she did however have to pay deposit of a grand or somert but it was good enough for her.
Wont you lose less money through depreciation on the 1 series as it's already lost the big chunk?

Just make sure it's 2nd generation as that's the year the 2nd gen came out and it will hold its value better.

The photo is of a facelift 1st gen 1 series.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Iqbal007
The Leon, however not brand new, get a second hand one....

I second this

my recommendation would be a Leon FR
In terms of both cars. I tested the Leon SC on launch at the Barcelona Motor Show, and it was great to drive. In 150bhp diesel form, it pulled very nicely and was a smooth ride. It's definitely a car to consider, owing to its high quality VAG engineering.

The BMW on the other hand seems a bit more special in terms of build and feel. They're great to drive and feel like a real BMW should. Higher spec diesel versions are the best all rounders, although I had a giggle in the M135i version!

As for which I'd choose. I'd urge to go for the left field choice and take the Leon SC. But the BMW is still the better car in my eyes.
Reply 17
While this is an old and gravedug thread, it appears that the topic is still hotly debated and for that reason I'd add the following:

6-cylinder, rear wheel drive, economical yet powerful beasts. BMWs are a rare breed of car that is made to make driving fun again. The 116/118/120d all share the 2 litre turbo diesel engine that costs just £30 a year to tax and does 60+ miles to the gallon average, yet still has 140 bhp. If you want some fun you could get the 123/125d which is a 2 litre twin-turbo diesel with 210bhp and still 50+ mpg average. £110 a year to tax these though.

The BMWs come with a better interior, a better exterior, and a better powertrain. Nobody in their right mind who could afford one would choose a SEAT over one.
Personally I think you should get a MK6 facelift Golf. It'll serve you well and isn't snobby and is classless.

Get it in Match spec and it'll have everything you need. 1.6 TDi DSG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Seat Leon is nicer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending