fred296
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, geography and psychology at college and doing pretty well in all of them (two B's, two A's predicted), but I absolutely hate college/sixth form. I know it's not just because of my sixth form, because it's good anyway but I hate learning, I hate all of my subjects, and I want to drop out.

I currently have a job at Waitrose, and I know if I go to work there full time I can go on a sort of management training programme to become shift leader, then ASM etc. and work my way up. I absolutely love working there, and get so much pleasure out of it, but I'm scared that I may never progress as far as I eventually want to.

At sixth form (I don't wanna sound like I'm boasting) but I'm reasonably intelligent and probably have potential to do kinda well in my AS's and A2's, and teachers have been telling me for years that I could go to uni etc. But I have absolutely no motivation anymore to revise, or to do anything. And considering my first exam is in 11 days it's probably not the best frame of mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna work hard for my AS exams anyway, and hopefully do well in them but the thought of carrying on three of my subjects to A2 (I hate all of them) makes me feel ****, and I hate sixth form and the environment, and my lack of motivation is horrendous. Basically, I'm just unhappy being at sixth form, and happier being at work.

So this is my conundrum, do I stay on for another year doing subjects that I hate, in an environment that I hate, being unhappy and having no motivation, but maybe ending up with good results which could possibly help me or do I B: leave sixth form after my AS exams are complete, get my results, crack on at Waitrose and progress there, being much happier, but having that slight possibility that I may not progress as far as I may want to (even though I'll try my hardest)

HELP
MichaelYEAH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fred296)
Hi,

I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, geography and psychology at college and doing pretty well in all of them (two B's, two A's predicted), but I absolutely hate college/sixth form. I know it's not just because of my sixth form, because it's good anyway but I hate learning, I hate all of my subjects, and I want to drop out.

I currently have a job at Waitrose, and I know if I go to work there full time I can go on a sort of management training programme to become shift leader, then ASM etc. and work my way up. I absolutely love working there, and get so much pleasure out of it, but I'm scared that I may never progress as far as I eventually want to.

At sixth form (I don't wanna sound like I'm boasting) but I'm reasonably intelligent and probably have potential to do kinda well in my AS's and A2's, and teachers have been telling me for years that I could go to uni etc. But I have absolutely no motivation anymore to revise, or to do anything. And considering my first exam is in 11 days it's probably not the best frame of mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna work hard for my AS exams anyway, and hopefully do well in them but the thought of carrying on three of my subjects to A2 (I hate all of them) makes me feel ****, and I hate sixth form and the environment, and my lack of motivation is horrendous. Basically, I'm just unhappy being at sixth form, and happier being at work.

So this is my conundrum, do I stay on for another year doing subjects that I hate, in an environment that I hate, being unhappy and having no motivation, but maybe ending up with good results which could possibly help me or do I B: leave sixth form after my AS exams are complete, get my results, crack on at Waitrose and progress there, being much happier, but having that slight possibility that I may not progress as far as I may want to (even though I'll try my hardest)

HELP
Personally I would push through and continue to complete your A-levels. That way if you're really set on working at Waitrose and climbing the ladder, you've got a better chance at doing so. No one really enjoys doing work, but what you do at school and college is paving a path for your future, for you to do well in life; because people are going to look at your CV and think 'Wow, 2 A's and a B at A2, nice'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads