UkeHarvey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The exam is in under 2 weeks... I was wandering how everyone was doing?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
joey4live
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UkeHarvey)
The exam is in under 2 weeks... I was wandering how everyone was doing?
To be honest I don't feel like I'm ready, what about you?
UkeHarvey
Rep:
?
I'm finding it difficult... I'm focusing mainly one the 1906-14 period, the 1914-1929 period, and the 1929-1940 period. The way my college taught it was unit 2 at the start then unit 1.. Which make little sense.

Hopefully the exam will have both questions from 1906-1914 and 1914-1929 because they are my most confident areas.

I would be happy with a C in this exam if I'm honest, elated by a B. If I got an A I would have to pinch myself.

What did you do for unit 2?
joey4live
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm finding it difficult... I'm focusing mainly one the 1906-14 period, the 1914-1929 period, and the 1929-1940 period. The way my college taught it was unit 2 at the start then unit 1.. Which make little sense.

Hopefully the exam will have both questions from 1906-1914 and 1914-1929 because they are my most confident areas.

I would be happy with a C in this exam if I'm honest, elated by a B. If I got an A I would have to pinch myself.

What did you do for unit 2?
I'm not gonna revise the 1914 - 1929 period and just concentrate on the rest. But yh hoping for a B but if the right questions come up I could do even better. For unit 2 I am doing Nazi Germany what about you?
UkeHarvey
Rep:
?
African-American civil rights between 1950-68.. I'm pretty confident with it

I agree... Its all about the right questions
joey4live
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
African-American civil rights between 1950-68.. I'm pretty confident with it

I agree... Its all about the right questions
Oh civil rights... that sounds so much more exciting than studying Germany for the umpteenth time.
UkeHarvey
Rep:
?
Ahhh you see I didn't do GCSE History! I am quite anticipating the coursework for A2 because we do the rise of Hitler and the nazis, and they get touched on slightly

Civil rights is good though... It's quite easy to understand aswell! I think it's quite an unorthodox unite compared to the standard European history
joey4live
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahhh you see I didn't do GCSE History! I am quite anticipating the coursework for A2 because we do the rise of Hitler and the nazis, and they get touched on slightly

Civil rights is good though... It's quite easy to understand aswell! I think it's quite an unorthodox unite compared to the standard European history
What questions do you think will come up?
UkeHarvey
Rep:
?
I really am not sure.. However the section 2 (1918-1929) didn't show up last year, so I'd guess it will this year! Recently they've been alternating between not having unit 1 as a question and not having unit 2 (since at least jan 11).. Maybe they will have both this year? It's really hard to call!
UkeHarvey
Rep:
?
Section 1 & 2, not units*
Xroz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys, I'm also doing this exam as a resit.

Like the person said before me, I would advise against leaving out bits of revision. Even having a brief overview of all areas in the period is better than leaving out large chunks and only knowing 2-3 areas in depth.

Any predictions for what will come up?

I predict that for question one it will be focussing on the period after 1918, so maybe something on Lloyd George's time after the 1918 coupon election.

Question two may be on the economic recovery after 1931, I doubt they will ask anything on the 1920s (when Baldwin was PM).

For question three I'm hoping they ask something about Labour and the welfare state. However, they haven't ever asked a question on why Labour lost the 1951 election and so it could be a 12 marker.

Anyways, how are you guys feeling? What questions do you want to come up?
Xroz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just hope there's nothing too obscure. I really need an A in this retake, at least 85 UMS marks so I can get an A overall. Last year I think my paper was marked extremely harshly so hopefully this year the examiners will be a little more lenient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rmijnngs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anybody have any tips for revision? I've made flash cards with key words and dates but it just doesn't seem to be working. I've also planned an endless amount of essays which also does not seem to be working! Any help would be appreciated x
Xroz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rmijnngs)
Does anybody have any tips for revision? I've made flash cards with key words and dates but it just doesn't seem to be working. I've also planned an endless amount of essays which also does not seem to be working! Any help would be appreciated x
Its good that you've written up plans but they're near useless unless you put them into action. What I do is I look at a plan for a question for 2 minutes and then I write the essay under timed conditions without looking at the plan again. Its essential that you do timed essays as 1) it will help your timing for the real deal and 2) under timed constraint your brain absorbs what you write better.
UkeHarvey
Rep:
?
I am pretty solid on 1906-1914... If a question were to come up i would hope for something along the lines of 'what was the reason for liberal social reforms between 1906-1914?'

For 1914-29 i would like something on the coupon election and the decline of the Liberal Party.

If 1929-40 was to come up i would like economic recovery as it is a very broad and you can find many successes and failures.

I wasn't at college during the 1940-51 period due to problems with my leg and having to have surgery, so that is my weakest one... i understand most about the welfare state and the latter part of the period and would be strong on the 12 marks, however i am banking on this period not coming up as it has appeared in every past paper since January 2009! (maybe they just love it).
bobinog3000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The 1906-1914 is the easiest by far, there is a limit on how many questions they can ask (social reform, political reform or landslide)
I think that there will be a question on 1945-1951, as its just so important historically for Britain…
Oh and as far as revision goes, I write essay plans w/ facts and figures
Xroz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I wasn't at college during the 1940-51 period due to problems with my leg and having to have surgery, so that is my weakest one... i understand most about the welfare state and the latter part of the period and would be strong on the 12 marks, however i am banking on this period not coming up as it has appeared in every past paper since January 2009! (maybe they just love it).
I really do hope they ask a question on the 1945-1951 period, I'm dreadful at answering questions about world war 2.

Not long left til they exam now. I pray that they do not give us a hard exam paper this year.
blackwid0w
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm really scared to be honest! I'd be alright if it was reasons for the Liberal Landslide and something about Liberal reforms, and then Why did Labour lose in 1951 or something about the Welfare State... Knowing my luck it will be on the National Government -.- I've revised so much but it's not going in
Xroz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by blackwid0w)
I'm really scared to be honest! I'd be alright if it was reasons for the Liberal Landslide and something about Liberal reforms, and then Why did Labour lose in 1951 or something about the Welfare State... Knowing my luck it will be on the National Government -.- I've revised so much but it's not going in
The National Govt. is actually very simple once you break it down to the bare bones.

The National Government was formed in 1931 following MacDonald's resignation from his Labour post. George V persuaded him to lead conservatives and liberals during the difficult period and the other parties saw this as advantageous as they could use MacDonald as the face of the tough measures that had to be taken without harming their own reputations.

Main National government economic policies included:
1. Implementing cuts as recommended by the May committee
2. Abandonment of the Gold Standard
3. Imperial Protection after the Ottawa conference
4. Special Areas Act 1934
5. The closure of unprofitable mills and steelyards

You need to understand the pros and cons of these policies and then read up on how the private sector helped bring about recovery in the 1930s. Making lists can help you absorb info better.

Good Luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.26%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.41%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.86%

Watched Threads