The Student Room Group

Which Pet??

I am thinking of getting my first pet but would appreciate advice in the issue.

I was hoping to get one which does not require much maintenance. Which ones would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I think cats are generally low maintenance. My cat only needs feeding and litter change once a day. She usually plays with her toys and sleeps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A tortoise.
Reply 3
Original post by donutaud15
I think cats are generally low maintenance. My cat only needs feeding and litter change once a day. She usually plays with her toys and sleeps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's nice!!! If you don't mind me asking, which one do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TolerantBeing
A tortoise.

Haha! Are you serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by woztar
That's nice!!! If you don't mind me asking, which one do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

she's a bombay. I think it would be harder if you get a kitten though as they need more attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
she's a bombay. I think it would be harder if you get a kitten though as they need more attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely. Anyways, thanks for your help. I'll have to look and do a bit more research!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by woztar
Definitely. Anyways, thanks for your help. I'll have to look and do a bit more research!

Posted from TSR Mobile

no prob. if you can, get a book or two on your chosen pet. it's helpful.

good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
no prob. if you can, get a book or two on your chosen pet. it's helpful.

good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by woztar
Haha! Are you serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually I am! I know of a few people who have them. My mum used to have two but they escaped and she never found them :/

They are really cute though, but expensive to buy. I think terrapins are cheaper.
Reply 10
Would you consider a snake? They can be really brilliant pets, and are extreemely low maintenance, so long as your housemate/partner/parent doesn't mind opening the freezer door to frozen mice now and then. P:
Reply 11
Original post by awe
Would you consider a snake? They can be really brilliant pets, and are extreemely low maintenance, so long as your housemate/partner/parent doesn't mind opening the freezer door to frozen mice now and then. P:

I don't think they would agree to that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by woztar
I don't think they would agree to that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you can also buy weekly and just feed as you buy? P:
Whatever pet you end up getting, make sure you have the necessary resources for if things go wrong (biggest thing is vet's bills - I spent almost £70 the other day and that was just to take a mouse to get some tests done!).

Having said that, there are lots of small rodents that make good pets (and they're cuter when they're not frozen for snake food :wink:) - I keep mice personally, as they're quite intelligent, can be kept in groups (so if you're too busy to do anything but feed them for a couple of days they won't mind cos they've already got company), plus they're cute and need less space than rats (which I'd also like to keep someday). Hamsters or gerbils can be good too, as well as more exotic critters like chinchillas or degu (although the more unusual the animal is, the harder it will be to find species-appropriate food and an experienced vet).

You'll also need to look into an appropriately-sized cage/enclosure, appropriate food and bedding, as well as considering things like who'll take care of the animal(s) while you're away. It'll help once you've decided on what type of animal you're getting if you sign up to a forum dedicated to keeping those animals as pets - otherwise you might spend tons of money on a cage/food/whatever, only to discover a little down the line that it's totally wrong for you and your pet (also don't trust what they say in your average pet shop, do your own research instead!).

I'd also strongly suggest getting your pet from a rescue - there are tons of abandoned animals out there in need of a good home. :smile:
^very good advice there!
It's worth having a thought also how long an animal might live. A cat may live up to 20 years and a tortoise can live up to 60 years! Do you think you can commit to the little guy that long?
I myself love cats and they pretty much take care of themselves. As mentioned, a kitten obviously needs more attention, it needs to be trained (not as much as a dog though!) and it has lots of energy, so might get easily bored if it has to be alone for longer periods or/and the space feels a bit too small.
I've never had a rat, but I've heard they're very clever and affectionate and like to be petted.
Good luck with your process, let us know what you decide! :smile:
Reply 15
A hawk or a black bear.
Goto pets at home and ask for the leaflets they give out with their pets. Compare their qualities. Rabbits are high maintenance so I'd avoid those.
Also this is quite an amazing one which throws in some different ideas. :smile:
http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6959442/flowchart-which-pet-should-you-get
Original post by Charlottelt
Goto pets at home and ask for the leaflets they give out with their pets. Compare their qualities. Rabbits are high maintenance so I'd avoid those.
Also this is quite an amazing one which throws in some different ideas. :smile:
http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6959442/flowchart-which-pet-should-you-get

Getting information and comparing it is a good idea, but personally I wouldn't trust info from Pets at Home. :nah: They sell cages that are way too small for the intended animals, and the animals themselves are not always kept appropriately (e.g. keeping rodents in mixed sex groups, leading to pregnancy).

They do sell some decent stuff too, but as a personal choice I'd rather my money went elsewhere.
I have a cat and a rabbit and both are very easy to look after. The rabbit lives indoors so gets lots of fuss and is litter trained which makes cleaning easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
General rule I give to first time pet owners.

Buy a plant, if you manage to keep it alive for more than 8 months, then consider getting a fish. =l

Although, low maintenance pets that come to my mind:

Cat (they *hit in other people's gardens...)
Stick insect
Fish - A change of water every 2-3 months will keep them happy
Pig (some people don't like pigs although, I think they're cute. :smile:)
Hedgehog - if you can ignore/get used to the smell.

Just to name a few. =l

Quick Reply

Latest