Feel sick when I drink (even when not drunk)

Watch
Naomi_91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Here is a revolutionary idea to fix this problem.

Don't drink.
Neverdie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by minimarshmallow)
I don't get what you're trying to say.
Heroin is illegal and incredibly harmful and addictive, even in small amounts.
Alcohol can be used responsibly and be very positive for the person.
I agree that he should stop drinking alcohol, at least for now, but maybe an investigation into why this is happening would be a good idea.
Alcohol is harmful and addictive, you can see that everywhere. When you start hearing people ask "but how do you have fun?" when you inform them you're not drinking, things are worrying. Things are fine in moderation but, just as how there's no benefit in heroin in 'moderation', there's none in alcohol.

Just look at the replies in this thread. They don't sound like addict talk?
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Neverdie)
Alcohol is harmful and addictive, you can see that everywhere. When you start hearing people ask "but how do you have fun?" when you inform them you're not drinking, things are worrying. Things are fine in moderation but, just as how there's no benefit in heroin in 'moderation', there's none in alcohol.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/7-health...alcohol-247552

It does seem that far too many people have problems with alcohol, but simply telling people not to drink won't solve that. Personally, I drink less than 15 units a week and it helps me to unwind after a really stressful day at work, and I also get a sense of satisfaction when I mix the perfect cocktail. I use alcohol in moderation and manage to get two noticeable effects from it, as well as the ones that won't be noticeable (mentioned in that article).
May95
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used to drink a lot on a regular basis..and because of that would often be sick, but now the taste and drinking any amount makes me feel sick, it could be a mental thing e.g through association
TheEmperorKronos
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am more than use to alcohol drink it everyday (no not like a bottle of spirits a day) just on weekends but on weekdays in general it's beers (5-6 a day) or maybe some cider on the odd days in the mid week. I have Anxiety it isn't to get drunk so much because normally i'm by far function it is just to take the edge off because i'm sick of feeling anxious and taking medication that makes me feel worst than the booze lol.
I get full blown withdrawals when I even go the next day without a drink (or 3 just to subside them) I'm quite a nasty sober person not going to lie, even before I started drinking I was always quite a nasty sober person altogether. I do not take anything illegal whatsoever just self medicating alcohol use and tobacco but my diets exceptionally healthy with cooked meals daily. I get this sickly feeling however (for me it's probably stage one withdrawals) but it's worst than a normal hangover. I'll go hair of the dog like a beer the next morning and just sipping it I know I get terrible gag reflex and normally it ends in vomiting. The pus side is once I finally do vomit (which sometimes I simply go finally) about time. Its a reset mechanism for me and I am back to easily downing a bee pretty much right after the last heave. So yes sometimes I drink my first beer asap to make myself vomit on purpose I have no idea why it works for me when most would still feel crap after it just does. I am really quite able to drink pubs out of business though these days I don't do that anymore I drink at home. I slowed my drinking down when I had withdrawals on waking up last summer- they were not bad they wee absolutely petrifying in fact they were so bad it took the entire day of drinking to get rid of the, I even downed a bottle of Gin in desperation- I at this point I ad really odd symptoms like feinting feeling, body jolts, couldn't taste the Gin whatsoever and Gins powerful stuff, couldn't swallow, I believe that was my first very dangerous close call with what only appeared to me as the beginning stages of DT's so I wasn't risking that.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My wife is like this - it seems she has an intolerance to alcohol. Even small amounts, no where near enough to get you even the slightest bit tipsy make her feel sick.

shes found a great solution though - she doesn't drink. No drinking, no feeling sick.
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know why it happens but I'm the same! Can't have a drop of the stuff! Literally, I was given a mince pie over Christmas and the raisins in it had been soaked in brandy and I took one bite and couldn't stomach it. On the bright side we're not going to be destroying our livers, brain cells and dignities any time soon
Clemberry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why bother, I haven’t had an alcoholic drink for30 years and not missed it! The reason you vomit with a hangover is because alcohol is because the alcohol has poisoned your body!
GodlyGuy69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lightweight beta male
jonnyjacob82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe you need to stay off the juice for some time?
rob_gib
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah i have the same and it has only just cropped up recently where after around 2 ciders/beers i feel physically close to being sick and my nose gets all stuffy and runny and yes I know I probably therefore have an alcohol intolerance but for me where has it came from its completely out the blue and literally no one in my family has it like no one if anything most of my family are alcoholics
Ellim
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t drink at all.

I though it would be really hard to give up and... it just wasn’t. Plus, I never have hangovers. There are some pretty good alcohol free beers and wines around too.

My point is, maybe just stop for a while. Not drinking doesn’t have to mean being straight edge or sober, it can just be. You can still go out (if I go out with people I don’t feel like talking to about not drinking i just drink tonic and lime or soda and lime and people assume I’m drinking gin or vodka and I don’t correct them). You can still have fun.

It may be that you’re allergic to sulphites, in which case try drinking clear spirits and see if that helps?
Cejones98
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This same problem is happening to me. Used to be able to drink a fair bit, and suddenly this summer I was feeling sick after 2 drinks. Oddly enough it’s always after I’ve gone to bed, then I wake up shivering (despite not being cold) and feeling sick. I’ve tried a bunch of different stuff and nothings worked, so I’m just going to have to stop drinking Asked my GP about it and they rather dismissively said ‘everyone process alcohol differently’...
Coke1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There may be a variety of reasons.

It might simply be that you are a bit 'run down'. I have had this happen a few times when I am not feeling well in general, that even a sip of alcohol makes me want to throw up!

It could also be a genetic thing as others have said. Your body may just not handle alcohol as well as others.

Other thing, maybe change what you are drinking and see if that makes a difference.

It doesn't sound like an allergy to alcohol, as an allergy would more likely cause a stronger reaction than just feeling sick.

It will pass I am sure!
Proton1235
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by neverdie)
alcohol is harmful and addictive, you can see that everywhere. When you start hearing people ask "but how do you have fun?" when you inform them you're not drinking, things are worrying. Things are fine in moderation but, just as how there's no benefit in heroin in 'moderation', there's none in alcohol.

you must be fun at parties
DaisyDragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
The last 2 times I've had alcohol I've felt like I was close to physically being sick. However what made it really weird was that I knew I was 100% sober. Not even the tiniest bit tipsy. It's annoying because I wanted to drink more but my body wasn't letting me. Any idea what this is? It's felt like this with different types of drinks
If you're feeling sick when you have alcohol, then that's probably your body trying to tell you something and you shouldn't keep trying to force it. Perhaps see your GP, some people can have an allergic reaction to alcohol. Alternatively, try some different alcohol. I've found that vodka makes me very nauseous and gives a horrible hangover, so I have amaretto instead now, which is far tastier and I don't feel ill with it.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sounds like alcohol isn't the drug for you, other drugs are available.
Invictus7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
The last 2 times I've had alcohol I've felt like I was close to physically being sick. However what made it really weird was that I knew I was 100% sober. Not even the tiniest bit tipsy. It's annoying because I wanted to drink more but my body wasn't letting me. Any idea what this is? It's felt like this with different types of drinks
Probably good idea to stop drinking then
username5043382
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you got drunk in the past recently and was really wasted (voming everywhere) then it’s probs just your body saying “DO NOT PUT THAT SH’T INSIDE ME AGAIN”
Ip805
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Old thread but there's hope for you yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.75%
Uncertainty around my education (421)
14.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (322)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (401)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (128)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (175)
6.12%
Loneliness (248)
8.67%
Financial worries (104)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (116)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
4.58%
Lack of real life entertainment (153)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (254)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (272)
9.51%

Watched Threads