The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Ban shirtless men in public?

Given all the "I'm a humanist, I love equality but hate feminism" dudebros on here, you should be for the equal law of men and women covering up or uncovering in public, right?

A recent ban on shirtless men in a popular theme park has been introduced, and I agree with this if women are also mandated to do the same. But just think of all the places where this isn't equal.

I feel like men use their shirtlessness as a masculine trait to try and dominate public spaces with showing off and doing something women can't partake in, kinda of like how men used beards to codify a distinctly male appearance when other traditional markers of masculinity were no longer stable or certain. I've even had shirtless guys on the tube sit next to me during the summer, this one guy's legs splayed out so I had to cross mine yet he's still taking up so much space his knee is brushing against me and has the audacity to put his arm behind me instead of his lap. These are all arrogant ways that boys are taught to be masculine and dominate public spaces that often result in our discomfort and subordination.

There's really no reason women can't go shirtless but men can, both are sexualised. So don't tell any women to cover up their cleavage when you likely take your shirt off any chance you can get and spend hours in the gym trying to get a body we won't laugh at.

Articles:
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/01/the-racially-fraught-history-of-the-american-beard/283180/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/19/right-ban-men-topless-essex-funfair-man-boobs

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps they are just hot... crazy idea I know.

Edit - in terms of heat, they are tepid. Their attractiveness is another matter completely...
Yay, another crazy feminist, just what TSR needs!
Reply 3
Oh dear lord, are these the depths to which western feminists stoop these days?

On topic, I am all for women being topless in public to achieve equality, it wouldn't bother me one iota. :colone:
Is this some weird ploy being pulled by jamiett?
I concur. The paternalistic shirtless fiends oppress you with their hairy gentleman-boobs and dominate your public space with hairy armpits and probably something Judith Butler might say.

Honestly, I don't really care. I think shirtless tends to equal classless, slovenly and scruffy (irrespective of gender) when in a childrens' theme park or a shopping centre.
Instead of banning, why not promote shirtless woman lol !:tongue:

I am sure that will make both girls and guys happy !
Original post by Queen Lupita
Given all the "I'm a humanist, I love equality but hate feminism" dudebros on here, you should be for the equal law of men and women covering up or uncovering in public, right?

A recent ban on shirtless men in a popular theme park has been introduced, and I agree with this if women are also mandated to do the same. But just think of all the places where this isn't equal.

1.I feel like men use their shirtlessness as a masculine trait to try and dominate public spaces with showing off and doing something women can't partake in, kinda of like how men used beards to codify a distinctly male appearance when other traditional markers of masculinity were no longer stable or certain. I've even had shirtless guys on the tube sit next to me during the summer, this one guy's legs splayed out so I had to cross mine yet he's still taking up so much space his knee is brushing against me and has the audacity to put his arm behind me instead of his lap. These are all arrogant ways that boys are taught to be masculine and dominate public spaces that often result in our discomfort and subordination.

There's really no reason women can't go shirtless but men can, both are sexualised. So don't tell any women to cover up their cleavage when you likely take your shirt off any chance you can get and spend hours in the gym trying to get a body we won't laugh at.

Articles:
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/01/the-racially-fraught-history-of-the-american-beard/283180/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/19/right-ban-men-topless-essex-funfair-man-boobs

1. That's your opinion not a fact

Next we should ban skirts because person X does not like to see them on the streets.
Op do you like dick?

I feel like men use their shirtlessness as a masculine trait to try and dominate public spaces with showing off and doing something women can't partake in, kinda of like how men used beards to codify a distinctly male appearance when other traditional markers of masculinity were no longer stable or certain. I've even had shirtless guys on the tube sit next to me during the summer, this one guy's legs splayed out so I had to cross mine yet he's still taking up so much space his knee is brushing against me and has the audacity to put his arm behind me instead of his lap. These are all arrogant ways that boys are taught to be masculine and dominate public spaces that often result in our discomfort and subordination.

Articles:

Do you think you are realistically going to be able to ban men in tropical countries from being shirtless, especially when they are engaging in manual labour?
Original post by Muppet Science
Perhaps they are just hot... crazy idea I know.

Edit - in terms of heat, they are tepid. Their attractiveness is another matter completely...

Why do women have to suffer the heat then?
If the 'popular' theme park is Adventure Island then I guarantee it is a publicity stunt, the place is rubbish and definitely isn't popular, the only decent thing there is the minigolf. I've gotten onto the biggest ride in under a minute before, and there weren't enough people to fit the rollercoaster to capacity. If it's sunny it will shut at 9pm but if it's slightly cold then it will shut at about 4pm, you wouldn't see Alton Towers pulling that kind of stuff.

Edit: Just read the rest of OP's post. Wow. Why does TSR get all the crazy feminists? I know a couple of feminists at uni and they would never moan about this and are pretty rational and their arguments for why they are feminists make sense. TSR feminists on the other hand create issues that don't exist just so people hear their voice, guess we should ban girls walking around in bikinis next, clearly they are doing it to rub in the faces of men that they don't have breasts (that was sarcasm btw OP just in case you can't tell). Also your last line about how we spend hours in the gym to get a body you won't laugh at suggests you are pretty misandristic OP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Congrats,
you've taken your first baby step to becoming a fully fledged dictator:wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by justanotherposter
If the 'popular' theme park is Adventure Island then I guarantee it is a publicity stunt, the place is rubbish and definitely isn't popular, the only decent thing there is the minigolf. I've gotten onto the biggest ride in under a minute before, and there weren't enough people to fit the rollercoaster to capacity. If it's sunny it will shut at 9pm but if it's slightly cold then it will shut at about 4pm, you wouldn't see Alton Towers pulling that kind of stuff.

:confused:

I've read that 5 times, trying to make sense of it....

What has your post got to do with OP?
(edited 9 years ago)
Many open-minded places now allow women to go topless in public (yay for Canada!). Hopefully the trend will continue.

Even more disturbing is places that ban breastfeeding in public. Thankfully those places are getting fewer and fewer now.
Original post by Solemn Rain
:confused:

I've read that 5 times, trying to make sense of it....

What has your post got to do with OP?

Second sentence of OP's post:

'A recent ban on shirtless men in a popular theme park has been introduced, and I agree with this if women are also mandated to do the same. But just think of all the places where this isn't equal.'

She seems to be using this as evidence that the ban is somehow justified because one place is doing it.

I feel like men use their shirtlessness as a masculine trait to try and dominate public spaces with showing off and doing something women can't partake in, kinda of like 1) how men used beards to codify a distinctly male appearance when other traditional markers of masculinity were no longer stable or certain. I've even had shirtless guys on the tube sit next to me during the summer, this one guy's legs splayed out so I had to cross mine yet he's still taking up so much space his knee is brushing against me and has the audacity to put his arm behind me instead of his lap. These are all arrogant ways that boys are taught to be masculine and dominate public spaces that often result in our discomfort and subordination.

There's really no reason women can't go shirtless but men can, both are sexualised. 2) So don't tell any women to cover up their cleavage when you likely take your shirt off any chance you can get and spend hours in the gym trying to get a body we won't laugh at.

Articles:

1) Im pretty sure the reason why I and 90% of other guys who have a beard is because we're all too lazy to shave :colondollar:

No but seriously, think about what you're saying...my Granddad has a beard, and do you really think he uses it to define his male appearance? I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know what codify means!

And for myself having a beard, I can honestly promise you that I don't wake up every morning worrying myself over the traditional markers of male masculinity! I wake up. I revise. I eat. I sleep. Repeat.

2) Come on! If you want to have a proper debate, don't make it personal - show the people who you're arguing against a bit of respect; that way, people will take you seriously and you won't get branded as a "typical feminist"
(edited 9 years ago)
Look, I don't wanna see man-boobs any more than I want to see some flappy spaniels-ears flopping around. Why can't everyone just cover up?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Look, I don't wanna see man-boobs any more than I want to see some flappy spaniels-ears flopping around. Why can't everyone just cover up?

I agree. By all means be shirtless in your own garden, but in public places keep yourself clothed, thank you very much. CRIKEY I THINK I'M STARTING TO SOUND LIKE A DICTATOR:eek:

Though i think banning them is kinda OTT...there is nothing sexual about mans chest anyways, unless he's got the entire amazon rainforest on his chest.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending