The Student Room Group

Suggestions Jacket I can wear over a suit

All my coats currently are puffer/bomber jackets, so I can't really wear that.

Occasion: Summer Internship / Work Placement - Investment Banking

Pre-uni and so not too expensive. Just something affordable and appropriate. Any suggestions?

I'm not too informed when it comes to fashion. Thanks in advance!
People don't normally need to wear a coat over their suit in summer?
Original post by Crumpet1
People don't normally need to wear a coat over their suit in summer?

There are no promises in the UK, I'd like one just in case. Besides it would be useful to have for other events during universities such as spring weeks. :rolleyes:
Go to debenhams or similar and get a smart mac.
Just rock up to a shop like M&S, Debenhams etc. and look at their coats, the ones that can go with suits will be pretty obvious if you've spent time in an office district. If you feel like spending a bit more could go to House of Fraser or even Harvey Nichs/Selfridges.

In terms of style you'll probably be wanting an 'overcoat'. Beware though that a decent coat costs the same as a decent suit, given you'll also need the suits, shirts, ties and some decent shoes you're probably going to be spending the best part of 2k, possibly more.

If you are fairly fresh fashio wise this should help: http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/articles/2012-09/20/best-overcoats-menswear-autumn-winter-2012
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Crumpet1
Go to debenhams or similar and get a smart mac.

That's where I fall down on. I don't understand what this terminology means :sigh:

mrNZeGb293IH0HdExJbT2XQ.jpg

Something that looks like this?
Trench coat, always.
Original post by Le Nombre
Just rock up to a shop like M&S, Debenhams etc. and look at their coats, the ones that can go with suits will be pretty obvious if you've spent time in an office district. If you feel like spending a bit more could go to House of Fraser or even Harvey Nichs/Selfridges.

In terms of style you'll probably be wanting an 'overcoat'. Beware though that a decent coat costs the same as a decent suit, given you'll also need the suits, shirts, ties and some decent shoes you're probably going to be spending the best part of 2k, possibly more.

If you are fairly fresh fashio wise this should help: http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/formal-attire/200506/three-quarter-length-overcoat

Thanks for the site. Hopefully, I can raise that kind of money during the placement and splash out.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Thanks for the site. Hopefully, I can raise that kind of money during the placement and splash out.

Sorry, link was wrong one, new one in my post is right. Don't worry about the prices in those, no one will expect the intern to rock up in a 2.5k Lanvin, but it gives you an idea of roughly what to look for and the variations available on the theme.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Trench coat, always.

I would think it seems a bit excessive at my age/position.

No, they're classic for a reason. Asos, M&S, everywhere will have them

It won't.

Disclaimer that if you're under about 5'8/9 a full trenchcoat can make you look really short, stick to an overcoat. If you're 6'1/2 plus trenchcoat will stop you looking like a baby giraffe.
Trench coat or lightweight Pea coat.

And if you don't know what they are, then there's a website designed just for you. It's called google.
All my coats currently are puffer/bomber jackets, so I can't really wear that.

Occasion: Summer Internship / Work Placement - Investment Banking

Pre-uni and so not too expensive. Just something affordable and appropriate. Any suggestions?

I'm not too informed when it comes to fashion. Thanks in advance!

I think in summer just you suit jacket would suffice, but I would invest in a long black coat to go over it if it is cold or rainy. Also, in case of rain, get an umbrella :smile:

Asos do some good priced coats so I'd check them out. Short jackets generally look a bit funky with suits in my opinion.

Try and find a cheaper version of this maybe:
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_46497+0018947_-1
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Le Nombre
It won't.

Disclaimer that if you're under about 5'8/9 a full trenchcoat can make you look really short, stick to an overcoat. If you're 6'1/2 plus trenchcoat will stop you looking like a baby giraffe.

I'm 6'1, I'll look into trench coats :rolleyes:

Original post by Drewski
Trench coat or lightweight Pea coat.

And if you don't know what they are, then there's a website designed just for you. It's called google.

How exclusive :biggrin:

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm 6'1, I'll look into trench coats :rolleyes:

Yeah, the exception is if you have really thick, well built legs. At 18 this tends to apply primarily to people who play high level rugby and few others. If you're in the Sarries academy go for whatever, but if, like the vast majority of 18 year old guys over 6 foot (myslef included then), you're a bit gangly and haven't filled out your frame yet, stick to a trenchcoat.

With suits as well if you know a half decent tailor save 100 quid on the off the peg and get them to take it in for you, will look much better.
A lot of city types wear scruffy Barbour jackets. The older the better. Check out E bay.
Nowt like a suit + full length leather trench coat.
Original post by Old_Simon
A lot of city types wear scruffy Barbour jackets. The older the better. Check out E bay.

Barbour jackets are the best options in this context.
Over a suit barbours don't really work, especially if you're wearing the suit jacket.

I'd advise a single breasted navy mac but it also depends on how tall you are, longer styles generally don't look good on short people.

Another option is umbrella and jumper.

Quick Reply

Latest