crazyboy41498
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,

I'm kind of stuck. For ages I have put a lot of time and effort into working towards doing a medical degree, at the pressure of my school/family, and as such have geared my IB subjects to match (Bio, Chem, Psych at HL). Having said all this, I find myself feeling like I'm not 100% sure that medicine is for me. I did drama at GCSE and since have been in several shows, perform regularly in a band and immerse myself in music and performance far more than in my academic ventures. In short, I'm feeling like performance is what I really want to do. My question is, is it all too late for me now? Is there any way I could even get a look in from a respectable theatre school with the subjects I have, or would it be a waste of an application cycle? I am set to get far above the entry requirements for most drama schools in terms of points, but it seems not in the right subjects. Any help or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
HelveticaBold
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your subject choices probably wont matter as it will all come down to your audition. However, all respectable drama schools are extremely competitive so you will probably be at a disadvantage against those who have had training. Have you considered joining a drama group/society?
A lot of drama schools also run short courses over the summer, but I think RADA's is already full (and it's really expensive anyway).
LAMDA has quite a few options for summer courses, but again they're expensive.
Good luck, and I hope you're happy doing whatever you choose.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by crazyboy41498)
Hi all,

I'm kind of stuck. For ages I have put a lot of time and effort into working towards doing a medical degree, at the pressure of my school/family, and as such have geared my IB subjects to match (Bio, Chem, Psych at HL). Having said all this, I find myself feeling like I'm not 100% sure that medicine is for me. I did drama at GCSE and since have been in several shows, perform regularly in a band and immerse myself in music and performance far more than in my academic ventures. In short, I'm feeling like performance is what I really want to do. My question is, is it all too late for me now? Is there any way I could even get a look in from a respectable theatre school with the subjects I have, or would it be a waste of an application cycle? I am set to get far above the entry requirements for most drama schools in terms of points, but it seems not in the right subjects. Any help or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Most actors did not study drama, they studied something else and joined drama societies. This is perfectly possible to do AND take medicine, although medicine is a huge commitment so if your heart isn't in it I suggest reapplying to something that will give you more time to dedicate to clubs and societies like Biology.
suedonim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by crazyboy41498)
Hi all,

I did drama at GCSE and since have been in several shows, perform regularly in a band and immerse myself in music and performance far more than in my academic ventures. In short, I'm feeling like performance is what I really want to do. My question is, is it all too late for me now? Is there any way I could even get a look in from a respectable theatre school with the subjects I have, or would it be a waste of an application cycle? I am set to get far above the entry requirements for most drama schools in terms of points, but it seems not in the right subjects. Any help or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Lots of people want to be performers and few of them make it. Being blunt - do you have any talent as many people can be in a few performances? What happens when you've spent 10 years trying and got nowhere?

Don't do medicine as a 5 or 6 year course when your heart isn't in it is a lot of debt. Do something that will let you work more regular hours and perform outside them, like pharmacy or biology. Chose a university with good performing arts like Cambridge footlights.

Couple of links to consder

http://www.youngvic.org/taking-part/...-the-arts/faqs

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Ar..._amateurs.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads