The Student Room Group

Teaching and swearing

Ok, let's talk about swear words. To me, the meaning of a word varies depending on the context in which it is used. When used genuinely or directed at another, certain words are thoughtless because they contain - latent within them - homophobic or racist sentiments, even though the person using them may not have intended those sentiments. However, I would like to argue that there is nothing intrinsically 'offensive' in the letters of the words itself, and so when taken out of its natural context (as being directed towards someone), and put into an explanatory context, the word loses its power to offend and so should not be treated as 'dirty'.

To illustrate what I mean, imagine a child has called another child a "******" or a "faggot" (edit: the forum has ironically censored the first word for me. It begins with "N"). Calling someone one of these words is unacceptable. Both are definitely words with the power to hurt based on their history. However, if the teacher were to (rightly) reprimand the child for using this word, I would imagine that they would avoid - at all costs - actually uttering the word themselves. They would say "never use the N-word" or "never use the F-word". Why is this? The kids (and I'm really referring to secondary school kids here) have all heard the words before - even just through studying Of Mice and Men (though probably in other situations than that). Saying "the N word" doesn't change anything - they know precisely what the "N-word" is, and censoring it in this context it just gives the impression that this is a magic collection of letters which will always has the power to offend no matter the context or meaning, and I do not believe this to be the case.

Like I say, I don't believe that when put into the context of discussing the word itself, they are offensive or should be shied away from. I think it is downright silly to pretend that the collection of letters itself is the source of the offence and not the meaning behind it. I think this is an attitude detrimental to society. 'Offence' should take into account context, meaning and latent meaning. In the context of explaining why the word is bad to other people, using the word "******" should not be deemed offensive - or at least no more so than saying "the N-word". It should be explained that the word has the power to hurt when we direct it at others. Students should be taught that the implication of the things they say have the power to hurt people, not that there are magic collections of sounds that are intrinsically disagreeable to the human ear.

So in the scenario I posed above, if I - as a teacher - repeated the word back like that without censoring it, would I get into trouble? And if the answer is yes: do you agree with this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Ive seen teachers repeat it back to them. However, i dont think there's any need for it really. If you repeat it you are sending the message that its okay for you to say, and therefore it is okay on some level.
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
Ive seen teachers repeat it back to them. However, i dont think there's any need for it really. If you repeat it you are sending the message that its okay for you to say, and therefore it is okay on some level.

But that's my point! It is okay on some level. It's okay on the level that the word itself is not the bit that should cause offence, it's the meaning of the word. And the meaning of the word varies depending on the context in which it is used. We shouldn't be teaching children that there are these magic collections of sounds which are intrinsically offensive. That is absolutely nonsense. It's not the sound of the word in your ears that's the offensive bit, it's the meaning which it signifies. It is absurd to suggest to kids that it is worse to say "you should not call each other the word 'faggot'" than to say "you should not call each other the F-word". Both statements mean the exact same thing, because everyone knows what the "F-word" is. Claiming there is some kind of special power that the word has when uttered out loud is a warped and childish view of how language works - like suggesting the boogey-man will come and get you if you utter his name.

Words are tools used to signify concepts. It is the concepts which the words signify and not the words themselves which are the important things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Squoosh25
It is absurd to suggest to kids that it is worse to say "you should not call each other the word 'faggot'" than to say "you should not call each other the F-word". Both statements mean the exact same thing, because everyone knows what the "F-word" is.

Not me, I though the F-word was ****. Possibly I'm old fashioned.

In this context, "don't call each other the F-word", I'd likely construe it as F***er.
tbh i would exercise extreme caution in the classroom. children nowadays and their vile parents will not hesitate to make your life a misery given half a chance.
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
Not me, I though the F-word was ****. Possibly I'm old fashioned.

In this context, "don't call each other the F-word", I'd likely construe it as F***er.

True, though I suppose in my hypothetical example I am imagining that the pupil has said it aloud, in class, and everyone has heard it said so they do know which word we are talking about.

Original post by the bear
tbh i would exercise extreme caution in the classroom. children nowadays and their vile parents will not hesitate to make your life a misery given half a chance.

Yeah, this is basically what I'm afraid of. I'm torn between what I believe to be right, and wanting to nonetheless protect myself; hence this thread.
True, though I suppose in my hypothetical example I am imagining that the pupil has said it aloud, in class, and everyone has heard it said so they do know which word we are talking about.

Yeah, this is basically what I'm afraid of. I'm torn between what I believe to be right, and wanting to nonetheless protect myself; hence this thread.

Always protect yourself from anything that could cause a parent or student to make an allegation. You might think its not right to teach kids that words are banned, but kids can twist anything you say - so be careful.
Reply 7
Always protect yourself from anything that could cause a parent or student to make an allegation. You might think its not right to teach kids that words are banned, but kids can twist anything you say - so be careful.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any rule against audio recording your own lessons, so that if anyone accused you of anything, you'd have direct evidence of what you actually said?
Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any rule against audio recording your own lessons, so that if anyone accused you of anything, you'd have direct evidence of what you actually said?

Yeah pretty sure that's massively frowned upon, if not illegal. You need permission to photograph or record pupils, so I don't see why you wouldn't need it for audio recording.
Just don't swear at all around the pupils and you'll be fine. If you do, you'll likely be greeted with 'well you can say it why can't I' etc.
Reply 9
If you do, you'll likely be greeted with 'well you can say it why can't I' etc.

That's true, but ideally in that situation I would hopefully have the chance to explain to them why the word differs depending on the context in which it was used. I fully believe that teaching kids the meaning of what they say is more important than artificially censoring the words themselves and ignoring meanings of words.

Of course, this is best-case-scenario. I guess I would have to judge depending on whether I deemed the class mature enough to actually understand the matter at hand.
That's true, but ideally in that situation I would hopefully have the chance to explain to them why the word differs depending on the context in which it was used. I fully believe that teaching kids the meaning of what they say is more important than artificially censoring the words themselves and ignoring meanings of words.

Of course, this is best-case-scenario. I guess I would have to judge depending on whether I deemed the class mature enough to actually understand the matter at hand.

I think that's pretty unrealistic to be honest. The type of kids that are mature enough to understand that premise are unlikely to be the ones swearing in class. Many would just respond with 'so we can say it so long as we don't mean it? Cool!'.
I think if a teacher reprimanded a child and used one of those words, the child would just tell everyone that "miss just said n....!!" And you would never live it down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending