The Student Room Group

Would it matter if the next Bond was black?

Scroll to see replies

They could try it..at then if it didn't work with the audience they could chuck him out like George Lazenby
Reply 81
Original post by Kruz
NO. Keep Bond as a white character. It's so unnecessary (Before anyone attacks me, I'm a black male).

So what's the problem with him being black?
Reply 82
Original post by Huskaris
I actually just looked at it and cracked up!

Same loool
Original post by Dnator
It is not that James Bond is quintessential englishman, it is that the person playing him should be so. This obviously means a softly spoken, good looking, upper middle class white guy. To argue against that is to just be deliberately obtuse for the sake of it. Imagine the reverse, a 'James Bond' in Ghana. The character has always been the model black african, but now people are asking why not have a white guy do it, as they are 'just as ghanaian'. It is not racist to say that it does not fit the character intended.

Woowowow you've gone completely off tangent with your argument here! Read my posts carefully and you'll find I haven't actually said whether I think Bond should be black or not; I wonder why you assumed that, eh? :biggrin:

If you really want to know, I'm on the fence about this. I reckon its up to the directors discretion to choose how he wants his/her film.
Original post by DelBoy1000
Never in a million years will James Bond be black.

Cubby Broccoli (Now deceased) started James Bond on Film - Ian Fleming wrote it - The Broccolis, Barbera that is, Cubby Broccoli's daughter are the people who choose the next bond (Or certainly have a huge say in it) and it's been that way since the 60's

They are Italian - Americans. Italians do not like black people. They would NEVER EVER have a black man play James Bond. They'd would rather kill the franchise.

James Bond is a global brand and a black man banging all these model white woman, kicking ass on all baddies, saving the world from crazy meglamaniacs does not support white supremacist thought.

People think "O, it's just a move"

NO !!

It's not an accident that Superman is white. Spider man is white. Batman is white. Gladiator is white. And pretty much (Bar the odd one) every Disney Character is white

Actually in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, spiderman is black :wink:

The-new-Spider-Man-Half-black-all-hero-MH8RQ8T-x-large.jpg
Yes.

Bond has always been white and pretty snob. Think how he relates himself to the "natives" (not only black guys, but Japanese etc.) he deals with during his missions.

Bond is white. I wouldn't hire a white man to play the role of a slave in a cotton plantation, just to "show the interracial and generally human aspect of slavery". I wouldn't hire a black man to play Bond.

That's only my opinion :smile:
Original post by Kruz
Lol there is no such thing as "Black Culture", are you telling me Black people in South America, Europe and North America all do the same thing?

Ok but that's just being pedantic over words. There is still a loss of culture going on here.
Italians do not like black people.

Well that's pretty bold an assumption! :wink:
Original post by Green Marble
You have a british passport and are civically british, but no you are not english because the english are a native ethnic group to Britain

Native simply means "a person born in a specified place or associated with a place by birth, whether subsequently resident there or not."

I'm not a immigrant, and neither were my parents for that matter. I'm just as English as you are!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Green Marble
Yes if would. James bond is nown worldwide is a quintessential english man. A black british person is not a quintessential englishman and could not play bond. James bond is english not black and no I do not regard black people in Britain as English

Sean Connery -> Scottish
George Lazenby -> Australian
Timothy Dalton -> Welsh
Pierce Brosnan -> Irish

Only Moore and Craig of the movie Bond actors were English.

Not that a racist would care that much.
James Bond as well characters like Doctor Who have been a white man every single time for the past 50 years.

Nothing about their character requires that. James Bond is a British spy. Doctor Who is an alien for christs sake

I find it telling when white folks whitewash everything and everyone and not expect any repercussions. Yet, when color is in the picture, there’s an outrage.

Remember, the anger with Ultimate Spider-Man ?

When color is introduced in the mainstream, white people have a problem with it.

I'll never forget the fuss white people made about black hobbits that when Rue in “The Hunger Games” was played by a black girl (Amandla Stenberg), many were shocked and upset.

Don't believe me ? Just google "rue racism hunger games"

They went on Twitter and all over social media to complain about it

They had imagined Rue as a white girl, because of course whiteness is just the default. Right ? Even though the first people on Earth were black. Even though white people make up around 14% of the worlds population.

Still, Jesus is white. Santa is white. God is white

But no-one is racist. Right ?

Why do white people apparently require white heroes, icons and saviors ?

White people would throw a fit if a fictional character is portrayed as black. But unsurprisingly, when PoC characters fictional or real are portrayed as whites, and this has happened, it’s not only okay, but they even defend it.

But white people have no problem with showing Cleopatra as white. As Egyptians as white (Or near white)

Unless you have parents that are completely aware of this and can counter all of the indoctrination that their children could receive from watching television, Disney videos, white-centered children’s books and toys (All of which should be eliminated from every non-white child’s view until well past their initial formative years)

It will be a cruel road in life with huge sink holes waiting for them to miss a step.

When non-white children enter the primary and secondary school system they will be systematically taught and have it carefully reinforced that white people are default, priority, superior and worthwhile and they are not.

Non-white people have an uphill battle to save ourselves in a white-centered society that categorically says with every step that it takes, WE DON”T CARE ABOUT YOU!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 91
James Bond as well characters like Doctor Who have been a white man every single time for the past 50 years.

Nothing about their character requires that. James Bond is a British spy. Doctor Who is an alien.

I find it telling when white folks whitewash everything and, in most cases, everyone, and not expect any repercussions. Yet, when color is in the picture, there’s an outrage, minor or major. Remember, the anger with Ultimate Spider-Man.

When color is introduced in the mainstream, white people have a problem with it, especially if it doesn’t conform to YOUR stereotypes.

I'll never forget the fuss white people made about black hobbits that when Rue in “The Hunger Games” was played by a black girl (Amandla Stenberg), many were shocked and upset.

They had imagined Rue as a white girl.

Jesus is white. Santa is white. God is white

White people would throw a fit if a fictional character is portrayed as black. But unsurprisingly, when PoC characters fictional or real are portrayed as whites, and this has happened, it’s not only okay, but they even defend it.

But white people have no problem with showing Cleopatra as white. As Egyptians as white (Or near white)

Unless you have parents that are completely aware of this and can counter all of the indoctrination that their children could receive from watching television, Disney videos, white-centered children’s books and toys (All of which should be eliminated from every non-white child’s view until well past their initial formative years)

It will be a cruel road in life with huge sink holes waiting for them to miss a step.

When non-white children enter the primary and secondary school system they will be systematically taught and have it carefully reinforced that white people are default, priority, superior and worthwhile and they are not.

Non-white people have an uphill battle to save ourselves in a white-centered society that categorically says with every step that it takes, WE DON”T CARE ABOUT YOU!

Do you realise this is a white country?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing about their character requires that. James Bond is a British spy. Doctor Who is an alien for christs sake

I find it telling when white folks whitewash everything and, in most cases, everyone, and not expect any repercussions. Yet, when color is in the picture, there’s an outrage, minor or major. Remember, the anger with Ultimate Spider-Man.

When color is introduced in the mainstream, white people have a problem with it, especially if it doesn’t conform to YOUR stereotypes.

They had imagined Rue as a white girl.

Jesus is white. Santa is white. God is white

Dude, from one black guy to another, you've kind of missed the point of the discussion...:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by Spiderman
I've heard that the bloke from 12 years a Slave and the bloke from Pacific Rim have both been mentioned in relation to being Bond after Daniel Craig.

Would it matter if the next Bond was black?

AS long as he's hot and can seduce his viewers, ie: me
Like him:
Reply 94
I don't think there would be a problem with a black actor playing Bond - after all the character would essentially remain the same.
Lol,no. But James (Black ) Bond will make a fortune? Well, maybe. There are many handsome black guys out there... hehe..

Posted from TSR Mobile
James Bond as well charact…….s, WE DON”T CARE ABOUT YOU!

Troll.
Original post by Ggmu!
Do you realise this is a white country?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always see that guy on every race thread. He says the same thing over and over again.
Yes it would matter, same as talk with the new stars wars guy being a black man. You can't create a character then change one of the fundamental characteristics of that character. It just doesn't work otherwise it could be just any action flick set as a Bond style clone, which is how it will look. They've tried similar before and it doesn't work. Take Beverly Hills 90210, in the original he guy was white, not black, white, yet in the remake he's black and adopted, er. no that is not how it was, not what the series was about and did not fit in. It was supposed to be a series about rich families kids in Beverly Hills, mostly affluent whites that come from stable family backgrounds and would be unlikely to adopt, particularly a black kid, it just didn't fit in with the whole storyline. Similarly, there was the Karate Kid, supposed to be about a white guy struggling with school bullies in American High School. Now for some reason someone saw it fit to pick will smith's son no doubt because of association and stick a black kid in the middle of China, complete mess, just sticks out awkwardly as some weird concoction.

Its political correctness that's the problem here and it would ruin Bond if they did that. No problem with black people per se.
Reply 99
Original post by Kruz
I always see that guy on every race thread. He says the same thing over and over again.

Yeah he's a funny chap. I can imagine him crying at the injustice with every post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending