The Student Room Group

Should people be persecuted for their music tastes?

Poll

Should people be persecuted for their music taste

Is it not possible to both have one direction and The Beatles in your library?
Persecuted, and in time I hope, prosecuted.
Hopefully

people who say old music (like Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones) is better, should have the word "poser" tattooed onto their foreheads

also Indie Rock should just be banned for being nothing more than, self-absorbed, pretentious horse****
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I like Justin Bieber.
Reply 4
I would download that song where they go "you don't know you are beautiful" if I had the time.....
Reply 5
Of course not. Just because I don't like what everyone else likes doesn't mean I should be punished for it. At the end of the day, no one is the same whilst everyone has different tastes. Individuality shouldn't warrant a persecution.
Original post by yo radical one
Hopefully

people who say old music (like Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones) is better, should have the word "poser" tattooed onto their foreheads

also Indie Rock should just be banned for being nothing more than, self-absorbed, pretentious horse****

Not everyone is going to like the same music as you and you won't like their music either. It doesn't mean people who listen to that type of music are posers or pretentious. It just means they prefer the sounds. The music I like *happens* to be older, not because it's old, just because of the sounds I prefer.
What do you like OP?
people think they're sooo funny and sooo controversial for saying people should be persecuted for different tastes
I dislikes ***** that are always harping on about "Real Music" wtf is real music.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Not everyone is going to like the same music as you and you won't like their music either. It doesn't mean people who listen to that type of music are posers or pretentious. It just means they prefer the sounds. The music I like *happens* to be older, not because it's old, just because of the sounds I prefer.

I knew I was going to get this as soon as I saw the name :sad:

(and the below comment :colondollar:)

I guess I'm just as special and unique as the ***** who make Indie music

Being totally serious, I'm just counter jerking the amount of hate people like Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black get from people who are into supposed "real music", as Kruz said
(edited 9 years ago)
Not unless the music they listen to persecutes another group or person, somehow?

I don't believe in musical guilty pleasures.
I knew I was going to get this as soon as I saw the name :sad:

(and the below comment :colondollar:)

I guess I'm just as special and unique as the ***** who make Indie music

Being totally serious, I'm just counter jerking the amount of hate people like Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black get from people who are into supposed "real music", as Kruz said

actually maybe people who go around thoughtfully citing classical music should be persecuted, that's definitely pretentious :teehee:

I don't find Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black's music good, nothing against them, it's just meaningless and manufactured IMO
actually maybe people who go around thoughtfully citing classical music should be persecuted, that's definitely pretentious :teehee:

They should be

I don't find Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black's music good, nothing against them, it's just meaningless and manufactured IMO

That's just it for me, with the exception of some songs, most of it is meaningless and that's fine, it's just supposed to appeal to people because it sounds good rather than being a some sort of deep novel you are following.
Reply 14
Only if they're claiming their music tastes are those of a genius, and everyone else doesn't know what "good music" is blah blah blah
Original post by Kruz
I dislikes ***** that are always harping on about "Real Music" wtf is real music.

Y'know, music that has actually been written by the people performing it, because it's what they enjoy doing and put their heart and soul into.

Or music with an important social/political agenda...

Rather than music manufactured solely for the purpose of getting into the charts.
They should be

That's just it for me, with the exception of some songs, most of it is meaningless and that's fine, it's just supposed to appeal to people because it sounds good rather than being a some sort of deep novel you are following.

With some of the music I listen to I don't pay much attention to the lyrics as music is supposed to be relaxing, just the sounds that I like. Just saying that not everyone who listens to Indie or rock does it because it's "deep". Likewise I like music from other genres as long as it sounds good.

It just seems like you're annoyed by people who slate Bieber or Black, but then are annoyed by people who listen to Indie or rock without knowing why they like it.
Original post by Ndella
Of course not. Just because I don't like what everyone else likes doesn't mean I should be punished for it. At the end of the day, no one is the same whilst everyone has different tastes. Individuality shouldn't warrant a persecution.

I agree
this persecution talk is confusing. Let’s be real.

All that is needed is better musical education from youth. In school we learn about notes and timing etc, which is cool, but not really anything to do with how a v high majority of people encounter music.

Curriculums need to educate people on music’s intricacies, social impacts, lyrical content. Music can allow us to discover our own tastes and personalities, something which very few other subjects can and so it should not be underestimated or taught erroneously.
Original post by Markg125
Is it not possible to both have one direction and The Beatles in your library?

This.

Quick Reply

Latest