The Student Room Group

Which further maths modules will help me with an Oxford chemistry degree?

Hello all. I'm on a year out at the moment and will be starting my chemistry course in October. I didn't take further maths at A-level and I've heard I'll find the course near-impossible without it, so I'm thinking of getting a tutor in. I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to the most useful modules (or let me know if it's all essential!).

I think saying that you'll find the course near-impossible is a bit much. Further Maths certainly helps, but it's no way essential. However, having a look through FP1 and FP2 will help, particularly the complex numbers and integration stuff. I'm a first year doing Chemistry in Oxford at the moment, so feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions.
FP1, FP2 and FP3 would probably help most. I study physics there but I know what maths the chemists do. Nearly impossible is a massive exaggeration.
You might find this info on the Maths and Physical Life Sciences Divsion's briding provision useful: http://www.mpls.ox.ac.uk/node/392
Reply 4
Thanks everyone - this is all really helpful (and reassuring)!

Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
You might find this info on the Maths and Physical Life Sciences Divsion's briding provision useful: http://www.mpls.ox.ac.uk/node/392

About the online bridging provision, which sounds great - am I right in thinking I'll be sent a username and password automatically at some point?

Thanks again!
Sorry, I have no idea. It's MPLS (the division which CompSci and Chemistry both sit within) that organise it and I'm not aware of the finer details.

I think the person you need to talk to is Dr Zareen Ahmed-Stewart. Her contact details are here: http://www.mpls.ox.ac.uk/outreachvolunteers I'm sure she'd be more than happy to hear from you.
Reply 6
To further reinforce what ZoeMaloey has said, there are plenty of people who do well in the maths course (i.e. getting first class results) without taking FM at A level. Having taken FM means you'll already have covered some of the material that comes up. This is obviously helpful but that doesn't mean that not having FM is a barrier to doing well.
Reply 7
Thanks to you both - really great to know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
To slightly contradict those who have spoken before, I would have found the course very difficult without having done some of the Further Maths modules. Although you will be taught all you need to know in the maths course, it is much easier if you have a bit of an idea of what is going on in advance. I would advise looking over FP1 and FP2 as they cover similar aspects to the maths course - there is lots of differential equations and multiple integrals and FP1 and FP2 will give you a good background for this.
Reply 9
Original post by kathymacf
Hello all. I'm on a year out at the moment and will be starting my chemistry course in October. I didn't take further maths at A-level and I've heard I'll find the course near-impossible without it, so I'm thinking of getting a tutor in. I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to the most useful modules (or let me know if it's all essential!).

I didn't do further maths and I'm doing a physics degree, the maths needed for physics is definitely harder than that needed for chemistry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending