nafeeshossain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Are universities which are more than 100 years old generally considered as "prestigious"? e.g. nottingham, manchester, bristol, leeds, Sheffield, birmingham, queen mary, and other russel group universities.

I've heard a lot about the high reputation and prestige of University of Manchester, but how come it is ranked #31 by The Guardian ?

Thanks
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nafeeshossain)
Are universities which are more than 100 years old generally considered as "prestigious"? e.g. nottingham, manchester, bristol, leeds, Sheffield, birmingham, queen mary, and other russel group universities.

I've heard a lot about the high reputation and prestige of University of Manchester, but how come it is ranked #31 by The Guardian ?

Thanks
Age is loosely correlated with prestige, but it isn't everything by any means. Russell Group unis are generally considered prestigious, but there are also other unis outside the RG that are considered prestigious, such as St Andrews.

As for why Manchester is ranked as number 31, it's because league tables are deeply flawed from a methodological view - the first post on this thread provides a pretty decent explanation of what league tables actually show http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1096372
nafeeshossain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Age is loosely correlated with prestige, but it isn't everything by any means. Russell Group unis are generally considered prestigious, but there are also other unis outside the RG that are considered prestigious, such as St Andrews.

As for why Manchester is ranked as number 31, it's because league tables are deeply flawed from a methodological view - the first post on this thread provides a pretty decent explanation of what league tables actually show http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1096372

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
    Sat, 12 Oct '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (40)
7.72%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (301)
58.11%
No (177)
34.17%

Watched Threads