83.33%
Neither (0)
0%
Other (please post below) (0)
0%
pinkfreekyfrog
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm writing an essay on the post human, defining post human as being 'a hypothetical species which could evolve from humans by means of genetic modification'. As there is a wealth of debate surrounding the post human it is hard to pin down an exact definition.

Seeing as the post human is artificially created and 'beyond human' would that in your opinion make babies created by IVF post human?
Civil Dispute
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I'm an IVF baby and got an A in AS Biology, and this makes zero sense to me. Philosophical concepts seem really silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Civil Dispute)
this makes zero sense to me.
Case in point?
Civil Dispute
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by james1211)
Case in point?
Expressing my opinion in regard to how pointless topics like these are

Posted from TSR Mobile
username878045
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It's not really genetic modification - IVF still involves an egg and sperm from a human, it's just not fertilised in the womb.

Hence it doesn't fit the criteria of 'genetic modification'.

Neither does it realistically fit the definition of 'evolved from humans', anymore than any child does.
pinkfreekyfrog
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Civil Dispute)
I'm an IVF baby and got an A in AS Biology, and this makes zero sense to me. Philosophical concepts seem really silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without Philosophy there wouldn't be Science

But anyway, I'm guessing that you would say that IVF does not make a child 'post human'?
Civil Dispute
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pinkfreekyfrog)
Without Philosophy there wouldn't be Science

But anyway, I'm guessing that you would say that IVF does not make a child 'post human'?
Meh, even humanism didn't contribute that much to science considering people became more secular in the 16th century anyway.

IVF isn't GM, it's just egg and sperm cells creating a zygote outside the womb in a Petri dish. There's no 'beyond human' to it at all. Considering it unnatural is debatable since the process is natural, just in a different location.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads