Watch
mattcam94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What is your budget?
8000 inc Insurance
What is going to be the main use of the car?
A lot of motorway driving
How many passenger will you usually be carrying?
How big a boot do you need?
Not too big, just enough to fit football stuff in and other bits
Specific tasks you will be doing?
Not particularly
Any brands you would prefer? Any brands you hate?
Not really, open to anything
What features in the car are important to you?
Would like as much tech as possible ones I'd prioritise is Cruise Control and Sat Nav
What gearbox do you want?
Manual
Are aesthetics of the car important?
Yes
Special requirements?
Fast enough to keep up with traffic on motorway, preferably over 1.6l
What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?
MrWhosane
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Skoda Octavia is what I recommend.

This one is a 1.6 TDi. If you can, you want to get a 1.6 TDi, based on economy. It is pretty powerful for a 1.6 TDi in Britain. It has enough to overtake and whatnot. They also have those VW touch screen 6 CD changer and SD card, on all but the poverty specs, although no Sat Nav, but is available if you find the Sat Nav model. This one also has Cruise Control. Ignore the mileage, and judge on condition. Full service history. These will go to 200k and onwards if maintained, but then so will every car, if maintained. This specific one is a little scruffy inside, but could be cleaned, or you can find another one.

If this isn't good enough, I'd say a 2.0 TDi version.

1.6 version
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01404293781178

2.0 version - this one is as powerful as traintracks infamous Passat, but as it's lighter, it'll be quicker, and can be remapped for better economy and power.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01403142513185

That leaves you £2000, or a bit more if your negotiation skills are any good, to spend on insurance. For me, insurance would be around £600 tops. Not sure on you, but as your born in 1994, it could be anything. These are excellent value for money, and will carry 4 people in comfort. Reason I know this, is because we use these at work in both Hatch & Estate guise. The estate has slightly more headroom, and ever so slightly more legroom, but the Hatch ones like these are still very roomy. In these specs, you also have a centre arm rest, which company ones don't, so that's a plus when doing long journeys. There also Volkswagen Group vehicles, so build quality is second to none.

If your really looking for value, these are probably the best choice of vehicle. However if you're a badge snob, then maybe they're not for you. Me personally, this is exactly what I'm considering to buy and I'm pretty much in the same circumstances as you.

Sooooooo, there you go.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ford Focus 1.6TDCI
Volvo V50 1.6D3 3-4 years old one should be within your budget. Some interesting tech to it as well and mostly Ford components so it isn't expensive to maintain.
Y333EEE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't get a bloody Ford whatever you do (Ford=Found On Rubbish Dump, Fix Or Repair Daily). Get a VAG car (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda) as they're reliable, good looking and spare parts are easy to come by. I'd personally recommend anything with the 1.9 litre engine like the one in my Octavia (110). You can get the same engine in the Passat, Bora, Toledo, Leon, Golf, A3, A4, A6 to name a few so you've got a good choice of body types. It's quicker than you'd think it is as in mine it's got a good pull in the lower gears and a good torque band for overtaking etc. If you keep the tyres at 35-37 psi they'll handle well and return over 50 mpg. The only things to look out for is make sure they've had the cambelt done on time, make sure the DMF's up to and make sure they've been run on 505.01 oil as that's the oil VAG units need. Also when you take a test drive make sure that the engine feels up to scratch. If it's Down on power walk away or get the seller to knock a significant amount off the price as that'll be the MAF Sensor on its way out, a very expensive thing to fix! Other than that just make sure they've all been serviced on time and it'll last forever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed