King's vs Queen Mary Watch

brianjeon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm applying for a medicine course next year and I was wondering what benefits there would be if I applied for king's college over barts london.
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Infinity_4652)
i'm not sure if this is what you're entirely looking for, but from what i've heard... king's college is highly ranked for medicine compared to any other london university, probably even top in the uk
Yeah, sure. OK then.

But on a serious level OP, apply to where YOU actually want to go to - think about the university/hospital locations, course structure, cost of living/accommodation, societies and clubs you may want to join, general vibe you get from students/on the open days, hospital placements and their locations etc. Then decide.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i'm not sure if this is what you're entirely looking for, but from what i've heard... king's college is highly ranked for medicine compared to any other london university, probably even top in the uk
You're not a med student are you? Lol

OP, get the grades, UKCAT first before you decide where you want to go.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, that's just what their PR department likes to think, it doesn't mean it's actually true.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by brianjeon)
I'm applying for a medicine course next year and I was wondering what benefits there would be if I applied for king's college over barts london.
Why not apply for both and then worry about the decision if you get offers?

The courses are quite different though, and the admissions requirements for both are different and quite stringent, so be careful you fit their criteria and aren't wasting an application.
Δεφιαντ1
Badges: 3
Report 4 years ago
Kings is the largest medical school in Europe - 400 doctors graduate each year. It is higher in the international league tables than QMUL, and has a better international reputation. There are opportunities to study abroad in years 4 and 5. No PBL, full cadaveric dissection, better simulation facilities, the opportunity to intercalate, training in central London hospitals with busy A/E departments and wide range of diseases. I don't know much about Barts, I've never researched much about it since PBL has always been a deal breaker for me.

In the end the best med school is the one that'll take you! Honestly, unless you're planning to work abroad a degree from kings and barts will be regarded as the same when applying for your training position.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Δεφιαντ1)
Kings is the largest medical school in Europe - 400 doctors graduate each year.
No one cares.

It is higher in the international league tables than QMUL,
No one cares.

and has a better international reputation.
Er, for what exactly? In terms of research output, both are excellent medical schools and very well regarded.

There are opportunities to study abroad in years 4 and 5.
So what? If you're referring to the elective, that's something all UK medical schools have btw, it's not something that's exclusive to GKT.

No PBL,
Which is great, unless, you know, you actually want to do PBL.

full cadaveric dissection,
And this makes it superior, how, exactly?

better simulation facilities, the opportunity to intercalate,
Are you actually trying to say that BL doesn't allow its students to intercalate? :rofl2:

training in central London hospitals with busy A/E departments
The London isn't in central London? It isn't the base for HEMS? St Bartholomew's isn't in the City of London i.e. as central as you can get?

Wtf are you on about?

and wide range of diseases.
Clearly you've never taken a walk down Whitechapel Road.

I don't know much about Barts,
Omg you gotta be kidding me!!!! :rolleyes:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The feeling I've got from students at King's is that
400 students per year isn't actually an advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Δεφιαντ1
Badges: 3
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
No one cares.

No one cares.

Er, for what exactly? In terms of research output, both are excellent medical schools and very well regarded.

So what? If you're referring to the elective, that's something all UK medical schools have btw, it's not something that's exclusive to GKT.

Which is great, unless, you know, you actually want to do PBL.

And this makes it superior, how, exactly?

Are you actually trying to say that BL doesn't allow its students to intercalate? :rofl2:

The London isn't in central London? It isn't the base for HEMS? St Bartholomew's isn't in the City of London i.e. as central as you can get?

Wtf are you on about?

Clearly you've never taken a walk down Whitechapel Road.

Omg you gotta be kidding me!!!! :rolleyes:
Relax! You'll live longer I was outlining things that are true about kings, not unique to.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Relax! You'll live longer I was outlining things that are true about kings, not unique to.
No, you were outlining the things you think are true about GKT or which you erroneously perceive to be advantageous e.g. "better international reputation" and full cadaveric dissection :stupid:
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by brianjeon)
Just think course! Hate to say the chances of getting in are low, you need to want to go to all 4 choices there's no point pinning hopes on one particular one. Apply where you like the course and where your application suits the admissions so you stand the best possible chance at getting an interview and a place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firure
Report 4 years ago
Feel free to berate me, but does it even matter where you do medicine, in terms of prestige? I thought hospitals didn't even see your alma mater when you get stationed in a hospital for the first time, post-graduation.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
The feeling I've got from students at King's is that
400 students per year isn't actually an advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the reasons I declined kcl in the end!

(Original post by Iridescenzo)
Feel free to berate me, but does it even matter where you do medicine, in terms of prestige? I thought hospitals didn't even see your alma mater when you get stationed in a hospital for the first time, post-graduation.
True.
ukmed108
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Kings is the largest medical school in Europe - 400 doctors graduate each year. It is higher in the international league tables than QMUL, and has a better international reputation. There are opportunities to study abroad in years 4 and 5. No PBL, full cadaveric dissection, better simulation facilities, the opportunity to intercalate, training in central London hospitals with busy A/E departments and wide range of diseases. I don't know much about Barts, I've never researched much about it since PBL has always been a deal breaker for me.

In the end the best med school is the one that'll take you! Honestly, unless you're planning to work abroad a degree from kings and barts will be regarded as the same when applying for your training position.
And then you look at the UK league tables and King's is 2nd last in the UK. Tables are almost meaningless, no one here thinks King's is 2nd last. This is especially true of the UK ones as those are completely unstable. Trust your gut for prestige. King's isn't a bad school, but then again Bart's isn't a bad one either.
Sambo2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Barts (well, The London) is arguably Europe's leading trauma center and the largest A&E in Europe...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%