SingAoutMe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Would appreciate information/experiences about what the facilities and the Computer Science staff are like especially at Brunel, cheers
Mav455
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im actually still deciding between Brunel and another uni, but Brunel does have that one year paid work placement scheme which I think is really good. I mean once you`ve left uni you have a degree right? But so does everyone else, but if you have work experience then that makes you stand out
MrSpencer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mav455)
Im actually still deciding between Brunel and another uni, but Brunel does have that one year paid work placement scheme which I think is really good. I mean once you`ve left uni you have a degree right? But so does everyone else, but if you have work experience then that makes you stand out

Usually the placement year scheme pays above minimum wage at £15-18k pro rata. So it's not only experience you're getting. Got a quite few Essex friends who had done well and got placement year at leading firms / e.g. GSK / Airbus / Public affairs firms abroad - and they really loved it.

To be fair - most uni's allow you to do placement years that appears on the transcript. Here at Essex it is being organised on department level here - each faculty have their employability co-ordinators person looking after these sort of schemes.

At Essex the placement year is currently free (Just like year abroad scheme). Some Uni charges you an admin fee just to go on placement year. Interestingly some uni / particularly departments, e.g biochem / biomed / engineering / IT - may have a more guaranteed scheme. Surrey is a decent example where they've developed some placement links. Where as most of the time as it stands - you'd still have to apply for the placements, and get it to do the year. Definitely worth researching about now that your degree is 9k instead of the previous 3k. Work placement is definitely on the way up!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads