The Student Room Group

help.. calling all A/A* students to rescue me with their revision tips:)

need revision advice on science, english lit and lang and history!
thank you ever so much!
Reply 1
For science it's exam papers galore
Reply 2
Original post by Padwas
For science it's exam papers galore

thank you!
what would be the best way of doing past papers?( as in without book and timing?) and how long did revise for gcse/igcse science

thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by dashd
thank you!
what would be the best way of doing past papers?( as in without book and timing?) and how long did revise for gcse/igcse science

thank you!

Timing - normal exam timing

how long - I stared revising from day 1
For science GCSEs I made notes from CGP revision guide and learnt them, followed by attempting a few past papers. But it's an exam so learning the content is the most important thing, write it out till you're able to recall it from memory, read it again etc
Reply 5
Original post by daisychain_
For science GCSEs I made notes from CGP revision guide and learnt them, followed by attempting a few past papers. But it's an exam so learning the content is the most important thing, write it out till you're able to recall it from memory, read it again etc

thank you:smile:
how long did you revise for your gcse's?
Reply 6
Hey!
I didn't start revising until a month before the science exams. But read the book, make mindmaps, all that stuff, about an hour a day. Then about a week before do a past paper in proper time conditions. See what you didn't know and then spend the last bit revising the stuff you didn't know.
This seemed to work for me and I got an A* (even though my teachers predicted me a B lol!)
I'm currently doing my GCSEs but I think I can help with science and english lit :smile:

For science, I find that making flashcards or revision notes help, make them from the revision guide, make sure you've learnt everything the spec tells you, so print a copy of that too. Then try past papers, to test what you know, give you a feel of the exam, the style of questions, timing etc

For Eng Lit, make sure you know the text you're studying well, if not then learn it, get a revision guide also SparkNotes may help :smile: After you've done that, find key quotes for each theme, character etc and analyse them. This will save time when you come to look for quotes as evidence to back up your points in the exam.
Original post by dashd
thank you ever so much!

Hiya, have a look here and maybe ask any questions you wanted answered on here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1375172
Original post by dashd
thank you:smile:
how long did you revise for your gcse's?

About 2 weeks :smile:
Reply 10
Anybody that can offer help with history crime and punishment and Nazi Germany? I don't know how to structure the the questions, help please!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
For science, I write everything out from a book (I use two texbooks, adding detail and whatnot) as I write it, I say it in my head. Always work. Exam papers are also good.
Science- Read through entire CGP guide + do the questions and most importantly understand it. Then do every past paper under the sun.

English lit/lang- Practice, practice and practice some more. Write essays for your teacher to mark and make sure you know all the key ideas of your books/poems and having something "out of the box" to write about.

History- Didn't do it history at GCSE
notes + mind maps + past papers + start early ( for science)
Reply 14
Original post by dashd
thank you ever so much!

English - Read through the revision guides provided, I personally hate GCP, but I've learned so much from them. I NEVER used to think revising for English was possible, I get As/A* without trying but by looking at 'Of Mice and Men' for ten minutes, I've learned so much.
History - Simple, read through the entire course, and write it out in a way that makes sense to YOU.
Science - Again, go through it all, reword it and understand/apply.

Quick Reply

Latest