The Student Room Group

Running at night- Girls, do you feel safe?

What do u think?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't wouldn't run at night time but then I'm quite paranoid about those types of things, I reckon I'd be okay, I live in a pretty safe area - my friend does run at night/really early morning and she's fine - I think you'll be okay :smile:
Wish you guys would slow down, makes my job twice as difficult.
Reply 3
Those rape cases did happen to female runners before. Summer time might be a lot safer as the daytime is longer. Just be as cautious as you can, and try to change your route from time to time so that no one can expect you to turn up at a particular time.
Reply 4
I run both early morning (5-7) and between 8-10 at night. I live in a bad area and normally run through the forrest trails and quite often there are "dodgy" people on these trails. However, I feel safe but I still turn down my music and pick up speed just in case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I know a few women who have been harassed on night runs. =/
I only used to go when I really needed to get out.

Stay in populated areas and don't slow down by 'dark' spaces, bushes or alleys. Run where you know. Tell someone where you are running to and how long you will be, even if it seems silly and there's no-one obvious to tell - let someone know. Even if it's Twitter or your mum haha. Just in case. (: There's nothing wrong with night running, you should not have to stop doing what you want to just because something 'might' happen... just be smart about it.

Edit - ooh, and, if you have a smartphone, put GPS tracking or whatnot on.
(edited 9 years ago)
If I take a Swiss army knife, pepper spray and a Nerf gun then I feel very safe. I don't know why people assume I get scared by myself at night
i run everymorning at 430 with a friend for 2 miles and then every night at 6 by myself for 3 miles and im never uncomfortablee but i guess its different since im a guyy, but just throw on ur ipod and if u run in a busy area ull have nothing to worry about. its all in ur headd
Yes, but then I live in quite a safe area :redface:
I like running at night, I used to run home from work at around midnight and have always felt safe

I would be sensible about where I ran at night though and stay in well it fairly busy areas and keep my music turned down so I'm aware of my surroundings, also let someone know when to expect you home/where abouts you'll be running

I always say to myself if I wouldn't think twice about walking somewhere in the dark it's silly to be concerned about running there
I don't run at night but only because I prefer to run in the morning. I wouldn't have any safety concerns about running at night though, unless I lived in a notoriously dodgy area (in which case, I'd be equally unhappy!). I think if you know the area reasonably well and follow standard rules of not going to places where you're unfamiliar or (like certain parts of my university campus) are notorious for sexual assaults. Just use your common sense and be aware of your surroundings (probably turn your music down a bit too).

As a runner, I imagine you'd be automatically perceived as a greater risk to try and attack anyway. You don't look as vulnerable as someone who is meandering around and not paying much attention. You're obviously fit and your adrenaline will be high, so I [personally] don't think it would be a particularly clever thing to choose a runner to attack anyway.
If you're confident that you'd be able to fight or stand up for yourself in a dangerous situation and know where to run to (on all parts of your path) if something bad were to happen, then do it. Even though it's a "safe area" doesn't 100% rule out anything bad from happening. Stay safe!
I've ran at night. But I carried my homemade pepper spray, thats filled with scotch bonnets, and hot chilies. I'm very good at defending myself physically. I'm not small either, I'm 5'11 so it could be different for you. If you can defend yourself then by all means, run at night but don't go down alleyways.
So sad that we have to consider this before we want to go out for a run...
Original post by thenewone61
I don't really enjoy running in the morning as my stomach is usually unsettled and I can't eat early on. The afternoons have been warmer recently and I really hate running in the sun. I've also got exams very soon so I've been revising all day. As a result, I've started to run at night. I've been running shorter distances than usual, currently 4 miles because of my messed up shins. Anyway, I usually leave at half 8/half 9 ish and am back home in way under an hour. My Mum thinks I'm going to be dragged into a bush and raped/murdered despite us living in a decent area. I guess that would make it a bit more likely as its quiet. I've had some uncomfortable moments, such as running past an alleyway and seeing a man randomly stood in it. This spooked me so I picked up speed and started to sprint to safety lol. There are police walking around (muggings are common near the train station).

Do any other women run at night and do you feel safe or vulnerable? Should I avoid running in the evening? I feel kind of defiant because I don't want to limit my own enjoyment, if that makes any sense.

Avoid running altogether; take up cycling instead. Same benefits, but lower-impact and actually a viable mode of transportation not to mention safer at night, providing you don't frequent unlit country roads.
Reply 15
I just think it's mad how people feel unsafe to go running. There is some right mental/weird people about.
I wouldn't feel safe running in the dark where I live, it's not a particularly safe area and the route I do is through a park which would be pretty scary at night. I don't mind going in the early evening, so like 7/8pm while the sun is still up, there's usually people still around then so it's safer.
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
I've ran at night. But I carried my homemade pepper spray, thats filled with scotch bonnets, and hot chilies. I'm very good at defending myself physically. I'm not small either, I'm 5'11 so it could be different for you. If you can defend yourself then by all means, run at night but don't go down alleyways.

Haha is that legal?
I think I used to go around 8ish (when I still ran!) but yeah, my mum used to worry, and I don't really run now because I operate at weird hours (like 2 in the morning) and they turn the streetlamps off at around 12 on my street so no, definitely don't feel safe!
Original post by Daniellejo.
Haha is that legal?

Well technically I can eat it, so I don't see why not. I wouldn't ever use it unless someone really did randomly attack me.

Quick Reply

Latest